Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 11:12 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,300,293 times

Advertisements

Aloha!
My wife and i are getting more and more excited about our upcoming visit to Maui. We've been to Kaui and Oahu before, but Maui is our first.

I wanted to ask about any and every piece of usable advice i can get from you folks to make sure we have a great time! (I started a different thread about top 10 things to do in Maui...but the purpose of this thread is to get general 'tips' about our 9 nights stay in maui.)

we're both 30 and active and love nature, love waterfalls, lover motor sports, love adventures!

I'd appreciate your response...

ps. we're staying close to black rock for 9 nights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 01:06 PM

70 posts, read 288,068 times
hi
when you get off the plane get ALL of the tourist brochures .
i then suggest having a beverage on your lanai
and have fun
enjoy the days plan a bit.. no more no less
probably get the biggies out of way first ..hana and haleakala then relax

Old 11-04-2011, 02:23 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,312,361 times
You may wish to rent a car to get around in. Don't think there was public transport when we were there, but that was many years ago. Best to check it out just incase.

The whole island is wonderful, spent most of our time on the north shore where the windsurfing/surfing takes place. Watching the surfers at Hookipa was something else!

Lots of beautiful beaches, loved Big and Little Beach. Just be careful you don't leave anything in your rental car while in parking lots. Huge target those little white cars with the rental sticker on them.

Two towns we really liked, Paia and Makawao .. found the best food in these two places. On a two-wk holiday, took the first wk of eating not very good food until we found these little towns. Makawao was really cute, looked liked hitching posts/fencing throughout the town, very quaint. The Mexican place at the time was really good, also the Italian place, again years ago but certainly worth checking out.

Great snorkelling, but forget the names of all the places. This is where your brochures will come in handy. At one place you could purchase food to feed the fish under the water. Most beautiful fish I've snorkelled upon anywhere. Also turtles if you're lucky. Just watch when you're swimming back in as the tide and waves will take you where they want. Easier getting out as you pick and choose, little more difficult coming back in. We had a pretty scary experience as the waves and tide took us in great sweeps, just an inch or so above barnacled rocks and worse, sea urchins with those evil spines. As you're taken with the tide and waves, the water is all churned up with sand and can't see a thing as you're swept out of control, then at the last second or so the sand clears just in time to see that you've got about an inch or so to skim over these obstacles. We were a little freaked to say the least.

Love Hawaii and would love to go back and check out some of the other islands, especially Kauai. one day.

Enjoy! hard not to!

Old 11-04-2011, 03:58 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,103,962 times
Leave airport....stop at grocery before hitting your condo you won't want to do it later....pick up some Cookwies, Mac Nut chocolate and POG, some stuff for breakfast then hit your condo, put on your suit and go into the water! Relax, read your brochueres... Then play it by ear and don't rush, don't overplan or stress....you don't need a plan except when you have to book a specific day trip, otherwise hit the entire coast from Lahina to Makenna and just enjoy your days. If you look at the map of Maui it is shaped like a bust of a woman. The eye area is Lahina and that is a full day, with lunch, the neck is the wharf area, a quick lunch maybe buy a fish from a fisherman if you are going to grill, otherwise don't bother. The bustline is Kehei, Wileah and McKenna, another full day trip. The middle of the island is "upcountry", another day, Hana-don't bother unless you have lots of time and like long winding drives, the backside is the "local" side good for the windsurfing stuff. ENJOY

Old 11-05-2011, 02:29 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,233,254 times
Buy a good guide book, like Maui Revealed and do some research. Only you can determine what you'd enjoy on your vacation. Don't rely on second hand, I was there 30 years ago advice. many businesses have closed, change, moved and new one opened.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:51 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,576,023 times
If Kehei is the bustline of a woman then WTF is Hana? Just curious.............

Aloha from the bustline.

Enjoy Maui, but steer clear of the back of the head road, it's not for the faint of heart.

Last edited by Jungjohann; 11-05-2011 at 03:55 AM.. Reason: re-misspelled my misspelling

Old 11-05-2011, 10:51 AM

3 posts, read 6,536 times
I 2nd the recomendation of the guide book, Maui Revealed. You can buy it in any bookstore wherever you live, or at Costco in Maui (Costco is only a few blocks from the airport), or at the bookstore in West Maui accross from the Cannery Mall (on your way to your hotel/condo). Since you will be there in November definitely do a whale watching trip. I prefer the raft type boats. For a trip of 9 days I don't suggest you do both Haleakala and the Hana drive. They are long and tiring drives, pick Hana, make sure to take a cooler with drinks and food, bring towels, suits, sunscreen. The beauty is incredible on the drive and if you have the Maui Revealed book it will describe the drive at almost every 2-5 miles. And make sure you leave EARLY, the road gets very busy mid morning. Oh and go to the Hula Grill (in WHaler's Village) and eat outside at the Barefoot Bar it will become your favorite hangout. Order the macademia nut crab wontons, heavenly. And if you are staying near Black Rock you can walk there. For the best fish tacos eat next door at Leilani's in the bar area. Fantastic views and people watching. When hanging out on Front Street in Lahaina, avoid the touristy place's like Bubba's and Cheeseburger in Paradise, instead eat at Lahiana Pizza Co, upstairs. I could go on and on. I love Maui, and have traveled there twice a year for 25 years. Heading over there this Thursday. : )

Old 11-05-2011, 11:14 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,103,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
If Kehei is the bustline of a woman then WTF is Hana? Just curious.............

Aloha from the bustline.

Enjoy Maui, but steer clear of the back of the head road, it's not for the faint of heart.
Hana is the heart!

Old 11-15-2011, 08:36 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,300,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoGirl View Post
I 2nd the recomendation of the guide book, Maui Revealed. You can buy it in any bookstore wherever you live, or at Costco in Maui (Costco is only a few blocks from the airport), or at the bookstore in West Maui accross from the Cannery Mall (on your way to your hotel/condo). Since you will be there in November definitely do a whale watching trip. I prefer the raft type boats. For a trip of 9 days I don't suggest you do both Haleakala and the Hana drive. They are long and tiring drives, pick Hana, make sure to take a cooler with drinks and food, bring towels, suits, sunscreen. The beauty is incredible on the drive and if you have the Maui Revealed book it will describe the drive at almost every 2-5 miles. And make sure you leave EARLY, the road gets very busy mid morning. Oh and go to the Hula Grill (in WHaler's Village) and eat outside at the Barefoot Bar it will become your favorite hangout. Order the macademia nut crab wontons, heavenly. And if you are staying near Black Rock you can walk there. For the best fish tacos eat next door at Leilani's in the bar area. Fantastic views and people watching. When hanging out on Front Street in Lahaina, avoid the touristy place's like Bubba's and Cheeseburger in Paradise, instead eat at Lahiana Pizza Co, upstairs. I could go on and on. I love Maui, and have traveled there twice a year for 25 years. Heading over there this Thursday. : )
Thank you so much for the detailed and encouraging response!!! I CAN NOT wait for our trip!!!! :-)

Also, Thank you everyone who responded.
the trip is approaching fast.
Any other 'pointers'? recommendations on things to do and/or places to see?

Last edited by Thinking-man; 11-15-2011 at 08:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui