Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2011, 05:59 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times

Advertisements

Seems like Maui has become a popular island to move to.

Does anyone see a particular city in Maui that might become a 'Honolulu', with the most everything?

It seems like Maui is solidly and decidedly rural. However, it seems with the interest for people to live there, it probably can't remain that way forever.

Any particular city in Maui that they seem to be building somewhat 'urban' like, even if only for the future? Or is that not really happening.

I visited Maui a few years ago, and I didn't get the feel of anything whatsoever anywhere that could even be considered a mini-Honolulu by any stretch.

But, if one were to occur...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 01:03 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
No chance for a mini-Honolulu in Maui, to expensive, not enough of a population for critical mass, not zoned well for business, no infrastructure, etc......

Last edited by whtviper1; 11-13-2011 at 01:55 PM..

Old 11-13-2011, 01:42 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,901,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
No chance for a mini-Honolulu in Maui, to expensive, not enough of a population for critical mass, not zoned well for business, to expensive, no infrastructure, etc......
To say nothing of "No support" for developing another urban center anywhere in Hawai'i ... the state is pretty well maxed out, as I keep chanting ... come visit, enjoy, go home ... the state isn't interested in new residents nor increased loads on infrastructure ... tourism is targeted as high-dollar as it can be, offering nearly nothing for the budget vacation ... it is this way by conscious effort / design ... Hawai'i is a tiny place ... keep trying to expand it one way or another, and you'd destroy it. It is what it is. Leave it be what it is.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
No chance for a mini-Honolulu in Maui, to expensive, not enough of a population for critical mass, not zoned well for business, no infrastructure, etc......
Those are the things I certainly did notice. It seems to be becoming more an island for the rich and wealthy of the world to buy a second home, or retire on.

I'm routinely surprised by those who try to 'make a go of Maui' who are still in their working years dependent on the local economy.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:21 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,907 times
It would be Kahului.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:16 PM

941 posts, read 1,967,664 times
There's always talk about how Maui will become the next Honolulu, and Kaua'i the next Maui. What they really mean is Ka'anapali becomes the next Waikiki, and Poipu the next Ka'anapali. There is no way for any urban city to develop on any of the other islands, just not enough jobs. Oahu grew up as the center of government, business, and then military. There's not enough of any of those to start an equivalent city anywhere else in Hawaii.

That said, suburban growth and the conversion of agricultural lands to vacation propreties will continue as long as some people profit from it and local regulation allow it.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
There's always talk about how Maui will become the next Honolulu, and Kaua'i the next Maui. What they really mean is Ka'anapali becomes the next Waikiki, and Poipu the next Ka'anapali. There is no way for any urban city to develop on any of the other islands, just not enough jobs. Oahu grew up as the center of government, business, and then military. There's not enough of any of those to start an equivalent city anywhere else in Hawaii.

That said, suburban growth and the conversion of agricultural lands to vacation propreties will continue as long as some people profit from it and local regulation allow it.
I was just viewing Kahului, and it looks VERY suburban in nature.

It's somewhat of a shame to see this beautiful land, just subdivided into large parcels of private property with mass-produced suburban blandness.

At least over on the Big Island, there is a lot of interesting character to the houses, with a lot of individuality.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:11 AM

120 posts, read 1,167,620 times
Also Maui is so anti-business that it can never become honolulu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui