Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:13 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,294,908 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
could you please give me your input on these two hotels?

we are staying in Maui in November for 9 nights. we care about location, the beach, hotel quality, and weather patterns in that locations. (other recommendations welcome too)

Hyatt Regency Maui

Includes:

Partial ocean view room
Intermediate car
Daily Buffet Breakfast for Two
$25 Daily Resort Credit per Room
Daily Access for Two to the Spa
Price: $2577 for two people

The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Includes:

Full size car
Complimentary Upgrade to Garden-View Room
Daily Breakfast Credit for Two
$200 Resort Credit
Daily Resort Fee
One Three-Course Dinner for Two
20 Percent Discount on Heavenly Spa Treatments
One-Day Access to Heavenly Spa for Two
Price: $2934 for two
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 11:36 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,202 times
I walk by these hotels almost every day. The Hyatt is more set off from the Ka'anapali beachwalk -- it's on the south end of the walk and is separated from the Marriott by a large open garden area used for events. The Westin is literally next door to Whaler's Village shopping center and in the middle of the beachwalk. So "quieter" at the Hyatt and "busier" at the Westin, depending upon your preferences. The other BIG difference is the beach: Hyatt has a much narrower beach than the Westin. Nice pools, but often no beach at high tide and a rocky entry to the water. Westin is on a much wider area of Ka'anapali and is much closer (1/2 mile) to Black Rock. Both have nice pools, spas, decent restaurants, etc.

Feel free to DM me if you have specific questions. Best of luck.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:39 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
These hotels are practically right next to each other - so beach, location, etc - will be the same. What would be the tipping point for me would be where do you want the loyalty points to be applied, Hyatt or Starwood.

If the loyalty program doesn't matter, you'll probably like the partial ocean view over the garden view and pocket the cost difference.

Have you checked out the Sheraton just down the street - it is much more peaceful than the Westin - easier to get chairs at the pool - and may have some good packages.

Also, look into AAA discounts - and even doing your ala carte, getting the car separate, etc.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:40 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,588,653 times
Aloha,
I have had the pleasure of staying at both properties and they are nicein their own right but I will elaborate.

First stayed at the Westin had a garden room which was a wedge room on the third floor that the view was 2 coconut palms right on the lani (small ) overlooking the parking lot we had paid for a partial ocean view this took a hour and a half to resolve not how you want to start a 8 day vacation. the property is very nice and the pool was great. The best thing was its right next to Whalers village so we went to the Hula grill for breakfast every day.

The Maui Hyatt was in my opinion much better even though we had asked for a non smoking room and were given a smoking room which they fixed in about the same amount of time as the Westin but with no arguing unlike the Westin. The pool is fantastic much better than the Westin. The Hyatt has what the revues had said the most romantic restaurant in Hawaii the Swan Court we had our Anniversary there and was everything we expected.

They both have the same beach and are just as close to it.
Hyatt has a Macys and a nice shopping center
The walk up the beach to Black rock (great sunset view and torch lighting) is longer from the Hyatt .

I hope this helps Have a wonderful Vacation
Koa

Old 09-21-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
Aloha,
I have had the pleasure of staying at both properties and they are nicein their own right but I will elaborate.

First stayed at the Westin had a garden room which was a wedge room on the third floor that the view was 2 coconut palms right on the lani (small ) overlooking the parking lot we had paid for a partial ocean view this took a hour and a half to resolve not how you want to start a 8 day vacation. the property is very nice and the pool was great. The best thing was its right next to Whalers village so we went to the Hula grill for breakfast every day.

The Maui Hyatt was in my opinion much better even though we had asked for a non smoking room and were given a smoking room which they fixed in about the same amount of time as the Westin but with no arguing unlike the Westin. The pool is fantastic much better than the Westin. The Hyatt has what the revues had said the most romantic restaurant in Hawaii the Swan Court we had our Anniversary there and was everything we expected.

They both have the same beach and are just as close to it.
Hyatt has a Macys and a nice shopping center
The walk up the beach to Black rock (great sunset view and torch lighting) is longer from the Hyatt .

I hope this helps Have a wonderful Vacation
Koa

thank you for that! :-)
did you stay at any other hotels? care to share?
(you said you went to the black rock. i know that's where the sheraton is. any thoughts on sheraton?)

Old 09-21-2011, 01:00 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,588,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
thank you for that! :-)
did you stay at any other hotels? care to share?
(you said you went to the black rock. i know that's where the Sheraton is. any thoughts on Sheraton?)

I have not stayed there but I have friend who stay across the street and kinda use the property often but I can not recommend or not Recommend it.

Black rock is also a fantastic place to snorkel but be cautioned go around the point the depth drops dramatically and the current can be strong

When you decide to stay on the Big Island come back here and just ask Tons to do and see

Koa

Old 09-21-2011, 02:33 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Stayed at the Sheraton a couple of times and was always satisified. Beautiful pool and grounds. Hopefully la nina or el nino, can't remember which one, hasn't removed the beach this year. Be prepared for some liquid sunshine i.e. showers at that time of the year.

Not sure if you're into condos but Kannapali (on the other side of Black Rock) has some really nice condos and you still have access to the hotels. Just a thought. Haven't stayed at any of them in the last couple of years, preferring condo over in Wailea.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Stayed at the Sheraton a couple of times and was always satisified. Beautiful pool and grounds. Hopefully la nina or el nino, can't remember which one, hasn't removed the beach this year. Be prepared for some liquid sunshine i.e. showers at that time of the year.

Not sure if you're into condos but Kannapali (on the other side of Black Rock) has some really nice condos and you still have access to the hotels. Just a thought. Haven't stayed at any of them in the last couple of years, preferring condo over in Wailea.

thanks,
the condos on Kannapali are pretty expensive and don't have the same incentives i mentioned above.
it looks/sounds like the hyatt beach is pretty rocky.

i'm leaning more towards the Westin.....but now Sheraton wants to be a contender! lol
damn it!

Old 09-21-2011, 03:09 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
Why Ka'anapali? I'd consider the old Makena Prince hotel south of Wailea. Much nicer area, not nearly as crowded, far better beaches. I worked on the remodel of the Maui Marriot a few years back, still can't see why folks like the west end so much.

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 09-21-2011, 05:36 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
If you are looking to save some money, check this out. My sis is going there this week and really likes it.
Honokowai Vacation Rental - VRBO 212228 - 1 BR West Maui Condo in HI, The Daily Deal is on!! $99.00/Night for Paradise.... (http://www.vrbo.com/212228#ownerprofile - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui