U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 10:57 PM

4,131 posts, read 6,880,108 times

Advertisements

There are 83 pictures in this album so I'll only direct link a few here
Oskie Rice Memorial Rodeo 2011 - Imgur

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 11:05 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,895,086 times
Nice pics! Love rodeo!!

Old 12-18-2011, 11:21 PM

16,207 posts, read 39,523,483 times
Interesting for sure.

I'm surprised Maui can support all the grain necessary for large animals like horses and cows and bulls and such.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:23 PM

11,365 posts, read 15,020,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Interesting for sure.

I'm surprised Maui can support all the grain necessary for large animals like horses and cows and bulls and such.
Maui is huge compared to Oahu - and if Oahu can have horses and cows, certainly Maui can.......

Old 12-19-2011, 10:43 AM

4,131 posts, read 6,880,108 times
I'm guessing most of the livestock feed is imported, just like most human food is. From what I see, the animals don't live on enough acreage to support them, and we don't grow much grain. Maybe they should feed them sugar cane foliage instead of burning it, and then return the manure to the fields before planting.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:38 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,224,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I'm guessing most of the livestock feed is imported, just like most human food is. From what I see, the animals don't live on enough acreage to support them, and we don't grow much grain. Maybe they should feed them sugar cane foliage instead of burning it, and then return the manure to the fields before planting.
That was the reason why i did not bring my horse to the big Island because of not having enough room to let it roam and graze freely on the land i own there .

Old 12-19-2011, 03:13 PM

941 posts, read 1,808,106 times
winkosmosis wrote: "I'm guessing most of the livestock feed is imported..."

Even though I know nothing about ranching in Hawaii, I was going to guess the exact opposite: when you have year-round pastures with grasses growing in the tropical sun and rains, do you still need grain? Grasses are better than grain for ruminants anyway.

I see cows and goats grazing all over Kaua'i, on large parcels and small ag lots alike. And they really are grazing, they are not standing by some feeder where the owner dumps the food every day. There are some serious ranches that grow beef for the mainland market (I read once they "finish" them at California feedlots) and local organic meat. I always thought it worked because there is so much rich pasture here.

In fact, I thought it was precisely because there was so much free ranging that cowbow culture was still very alive in Hawaii, because you need to round them up and drive them to loading pens, etc.

Anybody know more about how it works?

Old 12-19-2011, 06:48 PM

16,207 posts, read 39,523,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
winkosmosis wrote: "I'm guessing most of the livestock feed is imported..."

Even though I know nothing about ranching in Hawaii, I was going to guess the exact opposite: when you have year-round pastures with grasses growing in the tropical sun and rains, do you still need grain? Grasses are better than grain for ruminants anyway.

I see cows and goats grazing all over Kaua'i, on large parcels and small ag lots alike. And they really are grazing, they are not standing by some feeder where the owner dumps the food every day. There are some serious ranches that grow beef for the mainland market (I read once they "finish" them at California feedlots) and local organic meat. I always thought it worked because there is so much rich pasture here.

In fact, I thought it was precisely because there was so much free ranging that cowbow culture was still very alive in Hawaii, because you need to round them up and drive them to loading pens, etc.

Anybody know more about how it works?
That surprises me too. It must be 'just right' in numbers though. If too much over-grazing, which happens easily, they would have to be put into the crowded pens/feeders.

Interesting that it goes under the term 'organic' at this time. That's healthy. But if being send to California, because too much is produced, it seems that potential overgrazing could happen to meet a market elsewhere.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:56 PM

399 posts, read 791,853 times
Great pictures Wink.

I'll say it again, go to Lulu Self Publishing, Book Printing & eBook Publishing | Lulu.com and get them published in a book and/or calendar. Take a look under art & photography and see what others have done with Hawaii photos - and what they are selling for.

Also pick a couple and put them up on Cafe Press Custom T-Shirts, Unique Gifts, Posters, & Personalized Mugs | CafePress . Both could bring in some extra cash.

On both sites search on Hawaii to see what others have done.

You may have to get signed model releases for pictures with people, but that is just technical stuff to work with.

Mickey

Old 12-20-2011, 11:17 PM

806 posts, read 2,211,172 times
Looks like a great time for all ages!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui