Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 02:46 PM

42 posts, read 88,694 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon everyone! I have made one post back a few months ago when I was researching on what island would be right for me. I am sure that is forgotten so I will give you a bit of background on me. I am a 20 something female from Seattle, WA (born and raised) and stoner is my last name -- not at all an activity. I will be coming to Hawaii alone and I am very nervous. Well, I have done a lot of research and I am really thinking that Maui's west coast is right for me. I currently work for a large travel agency and am looking for work to ease the move. I wouldn't mind waiting tables if I have to but I would really prefer to stay in the travel and tourism industry, I imagine that it wouldn't be too hard in Hawaii. I know Expedia has Concierge positions and I have already exercised my resources and am waiting to hear back. Does anybody have any other ideas? Commission is a big plus for me, I love to sell

Now, the next question I would like to approach is the car. I drive a very dependable civic (2005, with low miles). I have priced the shipping costs and I am trying to figure out if it would be better for me to sell and rebuy in Hawaii. Honestly, I really want to drive a convertible but I think that's the tourist in me talking. I will probably get a moped or bicycle since gas prices are absolutely outrageous but I need a good sized trunk for my costco addiction.

Next -- the living situation. I have seen month to month rentals SO reasonably priced in Kona (BI, where I have been debating between) but not so much in Hawaii. I have a small dog, a little floppy eared 5 lb rescue dog, she's the best. Ideally, I would really like to find a family that will let me rent a room out so that my dog has other people to play with. I also like the companionship of people to eat dinner with at the end of the day. I don't party or stay out late, I am a licensed zumba instructor and that's about as wild as I get. Is craigs list where people look for this? Any other resource suggestions?

So please overload this thread with your expert aloha advice MAHALO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 06:54 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,052,479 times
My only advice is about your car. It's dependable, good on gas, low mileage, and probably paid off. I think it's only about $1000 to ship it. And you can put a lot of Costco goodies in it with the back seat down.

Look at what you could sell it for there (check auto trader), and what you could pay for a car in Maui (go to the websites of some of the car dealers on island), and see if it's worth it to sell it or ship it. If you buy a new car, that's really pricey and if you buy a used car, you might not get one as dependable as the one you have now.

Best wishes to you in your move!

Old 04-29-2012, 07:01 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyDiver View Post
My only advice is about your car. It's dependable, good on gas, low mileage, and probably paid off. I think it's only about $1000 to ship it. And you can put a lot of Costco goodies in it with the back seat down.

Look at what you could sell it for there (check auto trader), and what you could pay for a car in Maui (go to the websites of some of the car dealers on island), and see if it's worth it to sell it or ship it. If you buy a new car, that's really pricey and if you buy a used car, you might not get one as dependable as the one you have now.

Best wishes to you in your move!
You must ship your car completely empty.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:44 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstoner View Post
...Now, the next question I would like to approach is the car. I drive a very dependable civic (2005, with low miles). I have priced the shipping costs and I am trying to figure out if it would be better for me to sell and rebuy in Hawaii. Honestly, I really want to drive a convertible but I think that's the tourist in me talking. I will probably get a moped or bicycle since gas prices are absolutely outrageous but I need a good sized trunk for my costco addiction...
Your Honda is worth more here plus you already know its maintenance history. I would ship it.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:15 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
It's $1,074 to ship it from the Left Coast, plus or minus a dollar, via Pasha, Matson, or Horizon, the only three shippers.

The ONLY things you are allowed to have in the car are a spare tire, a jack, and a manual.

Yeah, given your parameters, I'd ship it. But others need to check their specific case based on their specific parameters.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You must ship your car completely empty.
We already know that. Who said anything about shipping it not empty? OP asked about making Costco runs in her car. After she moves to Maui. I owned a similar car and it can really hold a lot of cargo. A major factor in why I think it's a good value for her to ship it.

Last edited by HiloDiver; 04-30-2012 at 06:13 AM..

Old 04-30-2012, 09:08 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
you can also check the real estate agencies that manage rental properties for a place to stay.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:15 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
We already know that. Who said anything about shipping it not empty? OP asked about making Costco runs in her car. After she moves to Maui. I owned a similar car and it can really hold a lot of cargo. A major factor in why I think it's a good value for her to ship it.
Uh - you did, read your reply again. You can clarify after the fact you meant the costco backseat loaded up only for when the car is in Maui - but people who don't ship cars to Hawaii would think you are implying you can load up the car and ship it.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:17 PM

42 posts, read 88,694 times
Thank you everyone for the car advice, I am aware that it must be shipped empty, which sucks because the inside of my car looks like a meth addict owns it but I guess Hawaii is a good enough excuse to clean.

I do appreciate the lead on rentals, anyone else have other resources they have used or heard good things about?

Old 04-30-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Uh - you did, read your reply again. You can clarify after the fact you meant the costco backseat loaded up only for when the car is in Maui - but people who don't ship cars to Hawaii would think you are implying you can load up the car and ship it.
So sorry that you mis-read my post. I thought it was very obvious, since you already know that I know that you have to ship your car empty. OP stated she needs a car for her Costco addiction once she arrives in HI.

The OP knew what I meant, and my reply was to help her since you didn't need the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui