Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 05:37 PM

11 posts, read 16,248 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be vacationing in Lahaina next month, and I have a three-year-old who's crazy for Hershey's Chocolate Milk - the shelf-stable kind that comes in 8 oz juice boxes. It's her comfort food; instead of having a security blanket or lovey she asks for this chocolate milk when she's nervous. I don't think we can bring juice boxes on the plane, so I'd like to find a store that carries it. Otherwise she'll have quite a few meltdowns on vacation. Anybody know where to get it in or around Lahaina?

P.S. Please don't respond if all you have to say is "get some chocolate syrup and milk." Yes, I know how to mix chocolate milk, but it's not the same in my three-year-old's eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 05:44 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
If available - I would think the Safeway in Lahaina would have it.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:45 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,701,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trryan5 View Post
P.S. Please don't respond if all you have to say is "get some chocolate syrup and milk." Yes, I know how to mix chocolate milk, but it's not the same in my three-year-old's eyes.
"get a new child." Yes, I know how they are made, but they're all the same in my eyes!

Seriously, you can contact the national chains Customer Service Centers (number on the package) and give them the UPC off the package and they can tell you if the stores on maui stock it. Some manufactures can tell you if they ship their product to Hawaii and what stores they market to. Without actually calling all the stores or havng someone go to the stores to check, thats a very easy way. (and if you check the stores online circular, you may see it advertised)

Old 07-10-2012, 06:43 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
If you need to be sure, order a bunch from Amazon and have them shipped to your hotel, marked "Hold for Arrival."

Or you could try something that worked for me in similar circumstances, years ago... have a conversation with her that goes something like this: "Honey, I'm not sure we'll be able to get any _______ for you while we're on vacation. I'll try my best to find some, but if I can't find any, what do you think we should do instead?" You might be surprised at how reasonable the answer is. I know I was.

Good luck.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:09 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,452,582 times
I'm pretty sure Safeway sells it. This is Maui not Tahiti

Old 07-10-2012, 09:46 PM

11 posts, read 16,248 times
I called Safeway in Lahaina, but they don't carry it. I may end up having Amazon ship a case to the hotel. I was just hoping someone had seen this stuff in a store in the area.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:11 PM

229 posts, read 930,079 times
Quote:
I called Safeway in Lahaina, but they don't carry it. I may end up having Amazon ship a case to the hotel. I was just hoping someone had seen this stuff in a store in the area.
Sometimes my experience with those types of calls is that "No" may be the reply, but it is not always the right answer. I had a person in Home Depot tell me "we don't sell that here" while standing in front of the item I was asking for. You may still have some luck locally. In the meantime, are you allowed to carry a survival quantity in your checked baggage? (double packed in a zip-lok bag, right?)

I have seen the exact boxes you're talking about in our tiny grocery here on Moloka'i. I'd be really surprised if you couldn't find it on Maui.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:00 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,452,582 times
Quote:
I'm 99% sure I've seen it at the Safeway in Kihei.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:38 AM

150 posts, read 415,995 times
Costco used to have it but now they have kirkland brand. my son went for it even though it "wasn't the same" because the box and mini cartons have cute cow markings on them! Believe me I know the type. We couldn't move here until Safeway carried orowheat potato bread ; )

Old 07-13-2012, 09:32 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
If 99% certainty isn't enough... and with a 3 year old, I can understand that it might not be... you should be aware that even if a supermarket has an item on the shelf today, tomorrow they could be cleaned out of that item and stay out for weeks.

It's a regional peculiarity, that sometimes there are inexplicable runs on certain items. There's no rhyme or reason to it, but sometimes you'll see something on the shelf one day, and the next day you notice there's just an empty hole on the shelf that doesn't get refreshed for weeks.

Some say it's a legacy of WWII food shortages, sustained over the years by the long supply chains, but there's still a bit of a tendency of Hawaiians to load up on favorite items that they somehow perceive might be in short supply. It's just one of those funny little things about Hawai'i that residents take in stride but that make visitors go "hmmm."

Two other possibilities besides ordering from Amazon... call the supermarket closest to where you are staying, talk to the manager, ask him to have a case set aside for you... or if there is a concierge at the place you're staying, ask them to arrange for a case to be waiting when you arrive. Trust me, they've had stranger requests.

In any case, there's no reason for your little one to feel deprived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui