Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 03:50 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,118,319 times

Advertisements

^^ Me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 06:41 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,054,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
^^ Me.
Ah, glad you learned something! Do you live in HI?

Old 10-14-2012, 06:49 PM

Almost.
Spoiler
NJ

Old 11-13-2012, 01:13 PM

76 posts, read 154,334 times
Love these cook kwees I was happy to find out that they can be ordered. I just did that and they are going to be Christmas presents

Old 11-13-2012, 09:12 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,838,418 times
Default Meh!

After I read the first posts on this thread, I mentioned Cook Kwees to my friend with whom I have been to Hawaii repeatedly. She said that we had eaten them on several occasions/islands. I didn't remember them, and when my birthday passed last week, she had ordered a 3-pack for me, along with some Kona Coffee.;-) To be honest, I now know why I didn't remember them. Extremely dry, to the point that many were in pieces. Overcooked. Weird "granular" mouth-feel while eating them. The pineapple-macadamia ones had a good flavor, but otherwise the texture made me think of really cheap, poor quality cookies. The plain mac ones sucked...haven't tried the coffee-mac ones yet. Give me Costco's soft oatmeal-raisin, or white choc-mac cookies any day.
Now, Roselani Ice Cream, on the other hand, is worth a trip to the islands all by itself! You guys who live there might remember the coconut flavor they made several years ago. It was awesome! Still good, but changed after their "coconut man" passed on. Great memories!
JMHO!

Old 11-14-2012, 08:00 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,576,764 times
I've often thought that there is a lot of money to be made in packaging and marketing anything with 'Maui' on the label.. Just think of it, chocolate covered, macadamia crusted gecko turds!!! Individually wrapped in bright foil!!! Maybe with a big 'MOHALO FROM MAUI!!' printed on the box!! Could make millions!!! Of course, there would be some skeptics, maybe some naysayers on the mainland, complaining about the product only being chocolate covered, macnut crusted gecko turds..... someone is always going to gripe.... BUT,,, it's MAUI chocolate covered macnut crusted gecko turds..... LOCATION!!!! LOCATION!!! LOCATION!!!!

need I say more

maybe Maui bufo pancakes?????

Old 11-14-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post

"need I say more".
Wellllllll, ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, yes.

1. Have you ever consumed a Cook Kwee?

2. How are they?

Old 11-14-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Extremely dry, to the point that many were in pieces.

Overcooked. Weird "granular" mouth-feel while eating them.

Give me Costco's soft oatmeal-raisin,
Suggest trying some raw cookie dough, it'll be easier on your dentures.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:43 PM

941 posts, read 1,968,378 times
We have Kaua'i Kookies here. They're delicious, I enjoy them, I give them out on the mainland, and I recommend them online as a local mom&pop type of product, but I would not give them any superlatives. Agree with Jungjohann that a lot of the hype about these brands is the magic of Hawai'i and people either being there on vacation, remembering being there on vacation, or looking forward to being there on vacation. Doesn't make them wrong, just need to realize the feeling might not be similar for others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
In related news, I find it amusing that so many people think of Long's as a local Hawaiian chain. Long's was started in 1938 in Oakland, California, grew to be a chain of over 500 stores in 6 western states plus Alaska and Hawai'i (1954), and has been part of the CVS corporation since 2008.
Yes, but like much else related to Hawai'i, it's the same, but different. The regions or individual stores seem to have enough autonomy to run their business how they see fit. And in Hawai'i, Longs has cleverly marketed itself and turned itself into a very well-liked store that has the right combination of needed products. With almost 60 years in the islands, Long's has a lot of goodwill and name recognition, and CVS would be crazy to change the branding here.

No fresh produce, but enough canned and packaged food with weekly sales to keep people coming back and buying their other products too. Whereas it might be called a "drugstore" on the mainland, in Hawai'i, they fill a niche closer to a small general store--though they usually have everything you think of in a mainland drugstore as well. And Long's in Hawaii is VERY differernt from Long's in CA. On the mainland, Long's is sort of the run-down, low-cost, low-quality store, sometimes looking a bit like a dollar store--at least the one I went into in South SF, boy was I shocked. In the Bay area at least, Walgreens is the convenient, clean, has-everything-I-need store that reminds me of Longs in Hawaii. Except Longs in HI has some truly Hawaiian distinctions and products. So, in a practical way, Longs really is a separate storen and unique to Hawaii.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
I've often thought that there is a lot of money to be made in packaging and marketing anything with 'Maui' on the label..

Maui Waui Marijuana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui