U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2012, 05:31 PM

4 posts, read 5,158 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Maui in October and am looking forward to seeing, doing, and learning all that there is to see, do, and learn. Unfortunately, I also need to work and that requires a decent Internet connection to handle my customers back on the mainland.

In the area where I live now, there are telework centers where you can rent a cubical by the day or week. All of my Googling has yet to turn up anything similar on Maui. Are there such places or am I doomed to sitting at Starbucks downing expensive coffee every day?

Many thanks,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 06:29 PM

11,655 posts, read 15,605,902 times
Why wouldn't you just get internet in your home - anything from Oceanic or Hawaiian Telcom is going to better than the connection at Starbucks.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:44 PM

Sorry, forgot to mention that this will be temporary until we find a place and I can set up a home office.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:33 PM

11,655 posts, read 15,605,902 times
Check out Clear for unlimited wifi 4G at $50/month - again, much faster than Starbucks - and no contract. Punch in your new address to see if the area you are going to live has it - Clear is available in Maui. I use Verizon 4G LTE hotspot, but that is more expensive - 4G is very fast.

Wireless Internet — Mobile 4G Wireless Internet Access from CLEAR

Old 09-14-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Check out Clear for unlimited wifi 4G at $50/month...
Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately, there's no coverage in Kula where we'll be staying while looking for a permanent place.

You are right though. It would be much better than Starbucks if it comes to that.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:54 AM

25 posts, read 50,063 times
As a resident of Kula I can say with confidence that there are no telework centers in Kula, nothing even remotely close to such a thing. I doubt there is anything like that on the island given there are very few areas that have no internet coverage - thus all such folks would simply work from home, there would be no market to support a telework center. Clear misses most of Kula but Cable and DSL do cover nearly all of Kula, that would be your best, if not only indoors route besides Starbucks or maybe McDonald's, in Pukalani.

Clear does have a tower in Keokea (a few miles past Kula, near Oprah's house) and there is a public park, you could set up under a tree and have a grand 'ol day of it. Grandma's Coffee House is there, though it would not be appropriate to take up one of their tables for hours. Clear is popular with the stylishly homeless dharma bum set.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:38 PM

Thanks Dancing. It sounds like Clear is the way to go. At a minimum, I can find coverage and sync up with my customers every day or so.

Right now we're in the middle of sorting and packing while trying to see our families and friends for farewells. I'm afraid we'll be arriving on Maui in a slightly frazzled condition. Sitting under a tree working (or pretending to work) sounds like paradise.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,322 times
Default Not Clearwire

Clearwire has never worked good in Kula. Kula is a non-commercial part of Maui, which is already very non-commercial. It is where there are farms and cattle and horses. Oceanic is the only true cable on the island and it is called Road Runner for the internet. Starbucks has good seating. Enjoy!

Old 10-02-2012, 11:03 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,712,066 times
Hate to mention this, Medic15, but also no Starbucks in Kula. I think you'll have to drive to Makawao or Pukalani.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>