Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2012, 10:54 PM

275 posts, read 420,834 times

Advertisements

Was watching weather channel last nite and it said that Hawaii was going to get a tidal wave coming at it!

Hope everyone is alright and there wasn't much damage!

What happened anyway? did the Tsnamui come to the Big Island or Maui, or just Oahu?

I'm curious....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 11:08 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,399,426 times
The Tsunami warning was canceled at 1AM Hawaii Standard Time this morning. There were some surges around the island due to some wave action, but nothing dangerous so far. Here is the thread that was discussing it last night https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...i-warning.html

My girls are all ok, and that's what I was concerned about!
As we said on the other thread, you never know, and all warnings should be taken seriously.

I was managing an office in downtown Oahu during one of these warnings about a decade ago. I sent everyone home at noon. There was supposed to be a 3 pm Tsunami. It turned out to be 2 foot surges, which still will raise the water level and rock the boats in the harbor. At 2:30pm they canceled the warning. I lived way up in the hills, so I was home by then and able to look at the harbor with a telescope.

What I saw taught me to never ignore the warnings: Nimitz Highway, Ala Moana Blvd, and the freeways were all stopped. Cars were jammed going in every direction and no one was moving. Everyone decided to leave at the same time! This was in the 90's! Imagine today! I watched that traffic jam and thought - What if the warning was real? If a wave came, it would wash right over all those cars and people and no one would be able to escape!

If you think being stuck on the 20th floor of a building is bad, just imagine sitting in your car and looking over your shoulder at the ocean changing from a glassy surface to a roiling wall of water heading at you @ 60 mph. And you are stuck... All because you thought you could beat it, or you didn't need to listen, or "the last ten times we had this warning it didn't happen." Talk about Darwin at work! So now I take every warning seriously.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:30 AM

Nimitz Highway was stopped too? Isn't that up near Kaneohe? I used to live Oahu... luckily we never had Tsunami's but a close of friend of ours, did while living at a low lying area on Maui, when she was a kid!
Ugh... bad news.. yeah, I'd dread being in a car and seeing a 15 foot Tidal wave heading heading towards me.

Remember Hilo, back in the early 1930s, I think it was? It got hit bad too....

I think all these people also came down to the shore, cuz they saw all these fish lying on the beach, from the waves being swept out to sea.

Thank GOD, you guys didn't get hit with the Tsnamui! I'm so glad!

Wish us luck too though! Ugh... HURRICANE SANDY IS STARTING TO HIT THE EAST COAST.. I'M UPSTAIRS WATCHING ALL THE TREE LIMBS BEING BLOWN AROUND, BUT WE LIVE IN A VERY WOODSY AREA, AND THEY'RE CALLING FOR 50 MPH WINDS AND even said we might get 70 mph winds!
I am kinda freaking out again. we had a very bad storm last year and it caused a lot of devastation.

Thank God, though, I found a tree guy this week, who came out to our place & cut down a big large broken tree limb that was about to fall down and could have easily smashed into our house.
However across the road from us, this guy who's quite wealthy had a huge tree with a 4 foot wide tree trunk, had half his tree trunk destroyed, and all he did was paint it black!
I'm seriously thinking that tree may well fall onto his house or hit the power lines! I just don't know about people anymore, esp, up in the Northeast.

They've got so much money to get their lawns cared for weekly, expensive cars, but they don't want to take care of things that are seriously life threatening!

If it were me, and that kind of tree were lying only 30 feet away from my home, I'd definitely would of had it cut down months ago!

Please pray for us! This storm is going to be bad news they say! Mahalo R_Cowgirl.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:29 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,399,426 times
RockNRoll - We are all praying for you out there in the path of Sandy! Yeah, we were lucky this time and that other time I referred to. Nimitz is the highway that goes from the Airport to Waikiki. Only about halfway in, the name changes to Ala Moana Blvd. I looked at that gridlock and just prayed no tsunami hit. After what we saw in Japan, you can imagine the terror of sitting there...

Whenever we think we are powerful, Mother Nature steps in and slaps us upside the head with a reminder that we ain't such a big deal after all.

Blessings on you and all your friends and family.
Stay safe and stay centered!

Old 11-03-2012, 05:30 PM

You must have prayed pretty HARD R_Cowgirl... Mahalo!

We didn't lose any power, well, we lost it only for like 20 seconds 3 times the whole time and we got NO damage whatsoever to our home or our property this time!
Whew!
I cannot tell you what a stressful day last Monday was... I swear, I've been having nightmares for a week ever since that storm.
I didn't last night though.. .maybe because we were watching a movie on TV which actually WAS a nightmare! LOL

well, you guys are sweet. Yup, Mother Nature will do whatever she wants to do.
Look at Madame Pele, she's been in business now for over 25 years, producing more lava fields. Can you believe it?
When she started up again back in the 80s, I never figured she'd keep on making lava for the next 25 years!
I remember well, participating in a road race up in the Volcano area, when the "vog" was going on. hard to breathe with that kind of air really.

I'm so concerned for the people down in New Jersey though. I think they really got it rough.
I just met a lady today from New Jersey and she said her power was out, her gas was out, her internet was out, so she was up in another northern state hanging out with her folks who did have power.
We really lucked out.
Like I said again, I think you must have prayed real hard for us. I feel so lucky we didn't get creamed again this year. Whew!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui