U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 09:07 AM

13 posts, read 24,206 times

Advertisements

I've been reading here for a while and really only seem to see topics and answers from people living south, central, or out in Haiku... Occasionally I see someone living west, but it seems like there is never really any info from people living in Makawao/Pukalani/Kula.

This surprises me as from what I've read the public schools up-country are considerably higher rated that the ones on any other part of the island. I'm just curious if this holds true in real life, or if this is just internet ratings gone awry.

Are there any other issues with living up-country that I have maybe skipped over or not noticed mentioned on the forum here? Even with regular reading and searching it just seems like a topic that is not normally covered.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 01:06 PM

979 posts, read 1,931,991 times
Before moving, every year we would visit friends who lived in Pukalani. The view from their Lanai was nothing short of amazing. It was a bit cooler up there, and their rent was reasonable.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:06 PM

8,452 posts, read 13,827,845 times
Don't live there, but to me it never seems like traditional Hawaii with the pine trees and chilly weather. The stores sell a lot of fleece jackets.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:40 AM

335 posts, read 567,019 times
My relatives live in pukalani/makawao, and many of my friends that we visit are up in Kula. Coming from Kihei side it just feels COLD, last week friday when I stayed up there the temp was low 60s upper 50s, and yea I caught a cold. It wasn't even raining this was after a sunny day.

Some of the houses up there actually have and use fireplaces or have fire pits in the lawn. Not too many stores up in Kula, closest or rather the only store up there is Morihara's, which is a mom and pop store. If you want something like a supermarket, you'll have to drive down to Pukalani for Long's Drugs or Foodland.

Traffic is bad during morning/evening commutes, since the jobs are in West Maui, South Maui, and Kahului/Wailuku. There's currently no bus routes up in Kula. The first one starts this month, and only goes from Pukalani to Rice Park. While on the map it looks like Kula is only 10 miles away from Kihei, the actual drive is about 40 minutes since you have to go do towards Pukalani -> Kahului -> Kihei.

Kula has a hospital, but if you have a major emergency you're going to have to go to Maui medical anyways.

Oh, and there's no Pizza deliveries in Kula for a lot of residents. There's a few places to eat in Kula, Kula Lodge, Kula Bistro, a small french place, and Kula Country Farm's new lunch truck. No fast food or bars until Pukalani. Movie theater is in town too.

As for lifestyle, it just feels that alot of the residents up in Kula have the extra cash to send their kids to private school like Montesori, Seabary, Doris Todd, or Kamehameha. The public schools do well, but it just depends on who your kid hangs out with in school, and how involved the parents are. Kind of the same for any school in my opinion.

There's always mentions of droughts, and notification from the county to conserve water. If you have a land lot, and want to build a house, make sure you have a water meter that you have on property or your house won't have water. People have been waiting years/decades to get them. Starting this year, if your name is not on a list to get a new water meter, you are no longer allowed to apply to get on the queue until the current list is fulfilled.

You'll also want a decent car with some torque. My Honda CR-V smells like I burned my clutch every time I go up the mountain (mines is a 2wd).

Pukalani/Makawao don't feel as far from town since you have some of the convenience stores nearby. Its about a 15-20 min drive down to town. Plenty of cop speed traps along the way, and you get a nice view of the sugar cane burning every now and then. The houses are fairly eclectic with some expensive houses next to some older run down houses. There's some ranchers in Makawao, and it has more of a 'country' feel than anything.

Don't get me wrong, its nice upcountry, it just doesn't match my lifestyle since I like to eat out alot.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchTempo View Post
My relatives live in pukalani/makawao, and many of my friends that we visit are up in Kula. Coming from Kihei side it just feels COLD, last week friday when I stayed up there the temp was low 60s upper 50s, and yea I caught a cold. It wasn't even raining this was after a sunny day.

Some of the houses up there actually have and use fireplaces or have fire pits in the lawn. Not too many stores up in Kula, closest or rather the only store up there is Morihara's, which is a mom and pop store. If you want something like a supermarket, you'll have to drive down to Pukalani for Long's Drugs or Foodland.

Traffic is bad during morning/evening commutes, since the jobs are in West Maui, South Maui, and Kahului/Wailuku. There's currently no bus routes up in Kula. The first one starts this month, and only goes from Pukalani to Rice Park. While on the map it looks like Kula is only 10 miles away from Kihei, the actual drive is about 40 minutes since you have to go do towards Pukalani -> Kahului -> Kihei.

Kula has a hospital, but if you have a major emergency you're going to have to go to Maui medical anyways.

Oh, and there's no Pizza deliveries in Kula for a lot of residents. There's a few places to eat in Kula, Kula Lodge, Kula Bistro, a small french place, and Kula Country Farm's new lunch truck. No fast food or bars until Pukalani. Movie theater is in town too.

As for lifestyle, it just feels that alot of the residents up in Kula have the extra cash to send their kids to private school like Montesori, Seabary, Doris Todd, or Kamehameha. The public schools do well, but it just depends on who your kid hangs out with in school, and how involved the parents are. Kind of the same for any school in my opinion.

There's always mentions of droughts, and notification from the county to conserve water. If you have a land lot, and want to build a house, make sure you have a water meter that you have on property or your house won't have water. People have been waiting years/decades to get them. Starting this year, if your name is not on a list to get a new water meter, you are no longer allowed to apply to get on the queue until the current list is fulfilled.

You'll also want a decent car with some torque. My Honda CR-V smells like I burned my clutch every time I go up the mountain (mines is a 2wd).

Pukalani/Makawao don't feel as far from town since you have some of the convenience stores nearby. Its about a 15-20 min drive down to town. Plenty of cop speed traps along the way, and you get a nice view of the sugar cane burning every now and then. The houses are fairly eclectic with some expensive houses next to some older run down houses. There's some ranchers in Makawao, and it has more of a 'country' feel than anything.

Don't get me wrong, its nice upcountry, it just doesn't match my lifestyle since I like to eat out alot.
Thanks for the input!

Those temps sound good to me for night temps! We have been living in Tabernash, CO for the past few years which gets 300+" of snow a year. The temps you are describing are actually like mid summer temps for where we have been (8400' elevation), and we really feel like the summer weather in the mountains is borderline perfect. I think Kula/Pukalani is probably one of the only areas in the US that could offer that type of climate year round.

We would never have to commute to Kihei, just to Kahului. I actually telecommute, so I wouldn't have to go anywhere assuming we can get Oceanic internet service up there. My wife would have to make the drive though, so if the Kula to Kahului drive can be done in around 30 minutes it wouldn't be a problem at all. She commuted 75 minutes to Denver for work for quite a while, and before that always had a 30 minute commute when we lived in Kansas City.

I figured we have to grocery shop in Pukalani which, depending on if we bought in Kula, I figured it is a 10-15 minute drive, so not bad at all from our perspective.

I agree as well that schools are much more dependent on parental involvement than many people want to believe. It certainly makes it easier with kids though if they are in a school where that is the norm and they aren't surrounded with a ton of kids whose parents don't help guide them as much. My understanding from the ratings is that the upcountry schools generally have much better "ratings" it's just tough to say without actually knowing parents in those districts.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:16 AM

Elevation up in Kula is between 1500-2800ish, sometimes you are right above the first layer of clouds, and sometimes there's a fog that rolls in the night. I think most nights a little warmer than what I describe, but its our 'winter' here now. Last night I was up in Makawao and it was a cool mid to upper 60s with rain.

30 min to town is a pretty reasonable estimate for a drive from mid Kula to town. If you're leaving in that morning/even rush give yourself an extra 10 or so minutes. Up by Rice park or further out I'd say its more like 45 min. This is all following the 45mph speed limit though.

My friends up there have Oceanic cable internet. Just a note though our 'cable' internet speeds are fairly slow compared to mainland standards or even Oahu. 1-5Mbps transfer rates are what you'll expect with the upgraded internet service, depending on the line that runs to your house, nothing close to 10Mbps like the mainland. The latency/ping is pretty nice though, between sub 75ms - 150ms averages. Speeds are pretty uniform throughout the island. I don't really hear any complaints about the speeds from the programmers who telecommute, they mostly connect to Washington/Cali/Texas though so YMMV.

Look me up if you need a Realtor someday, I'm from Kihei, but Maui's a small island to get around. =D

Old 01-03-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchTempo View Post
Elevation up in Kula is between 1500-2800ish, sometimes you are right above the first layer of clouds, and sometimes there's a fog that rolls in the night. I think most nights a little warmer than what I describe, but its our 'winter' here now. Last night I was up in Makawao and it was a cool mid to upper 60s with rain.

30 min to town is a pretty reasonable estimate for a drive from mid Kula to town. If you're leaving in that morning/even rush give yourself an extra 10 or so minutes. Up by Rice park or further out I'd say its more like 45 min. This is all following the 45mph speed limit though.

My friends up there have Oceanic cable internet. Just a note though our 'cable' internet speeds are fairly slow compared to mainland standards or even Oahu. 1-5Mbps transfer rates are what you'll expect with the upgraded internet service, depending on the line that runs to your house, nothing close to 10Mbps like the mainland. The latency/ping is pretty nice though, between sub 75ms - 150ms averages. Speeds are pretty uniform throughout the island. I don't really hear any complaints about the speeds from the programmers who telecommute, they mostly connect to Washington/Cali/Texas though so YMMV.

Look me up if you need a Realtor someday, I'm from Kihei, but Maui's a small island to get around. =D
Thanks! Those speeds should be fine.. If I can get 2+Mbps down and 1+Mbps up then I'll be good to go, and pings like that are completely acceptable as well. We have 14 months until my wife is finished with grad school at which point we will be heading over. Our Colorado house is on the market and our home we bought to live in while she is going to school won't have to be sold as it will cash flow quite a well via rental when we move.

Do you have a lot of experience selling and with the market up country? Are things starting close closer to asking price these days or are people still seeing significant discounts to listing price?

Depending on when our ski house sells we may buy something before we move if the right property comes up for sale. Otherwise, we may just wait until we are actually making the move.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebanks View Post
Thanks! Those speeds should be fine.. If I can get 2+Mbps down and 1+Mbps up then I'll be good to go, and pings like that are completely acceptable as well. We have 14 months until my wife is finished with grad school at which point we will be heading over. Our Colorado house is on the market and our home we bought to live in while she is going to school won't have to be sold as it will cash flow quite a well via rental when we move.

Do you have a lot of experience selling and with the market up country? Are things starting close closer to asking price these days or are people still seeing significant discounts to listing price?

Depending on when our ski house sells we may buy something before we move if the right property comes up for sale. Otherwise, we may just wait until we are actually making the move.
I keep myself informed of what's been moving for most of Maui with the exception of Hana/Lanai/Molokai, and most houses that are priced correctly will move or get multiple offers on now. (due to low inventory of houses for sale). There will always be houses put up over the market price, and those are easy to see by the days on market, and large price reductions. The higher priced homes are still moving slower though, anything past 750k. Right now there's a lot of movement in the 500k range which can be sold as fast as the week they are listed (the days on market for show time in escrow too). My broker that I work with closely lives in Kula, and knows the area very well.

Maui's monthly sales stats are made public from the Realtors Association of Maui site: http://www.ramaui.com/UserFiles/File...ll-Nov2012.pdf

The December stats should be coming out in a week or so. These stats are pretty general though, if you'd like some more specific information, or new listing notifications, sent by e-mail let me know via a private message. Would love to be of assistance.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:40 PM

Time Warner just mailed me a new cable modem, and I'm getting 15Mbs down now. Just FYI

Old 05-02-2013, 01:24 PM

569 posts, read 725,734 times
I think the reason you don't hear as much talk about moving to up country is pretty simple; for many/most people who move to an island, the ocean is a big draw, so the beach communities are more appealing. As mitch said, the views up there can be incredible, but going for a "quick dip" in the water isn't really an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>