Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:02 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,818,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepower View Post
Mother alone multiple children, divorced with full custody both physical and legal. trying to get to a place she feels safe from abusive x husband. Limited resources, no family, limited education, and work experience. Goal: Safety, education, healing and self sufficiency. Can this be obtained on Maui? My worries public education and community acceptance. I am now on Welfare, and have been granted a Section 8 voucher. Soon I will have college grants and loans to help. Any thoughts or advice? Maui verses other islands and why or why not? Recommended neighborhoods and schools? Please Share from personal experience. Thank You
PP you are out of your mind. The Hawaiian are just being nice.

I don't think you could pick a worse place in the US. Well maybe Santa Barbara or Key West.

Try the ozarks. Or somewhere rational. Not Maui.

I considered moving there when I retired. But after a good look I decided that it would be too marginal on even a 5% of the top us income. And without family support which often makes it work for Hawiians you don't have a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 09:21 AM

404 posts, read 1,246,303 times
I can't comprehend how on God's green earth a single woman on welfare with multiple children would be able to afford the plane tickets over or that the government would even allow it. Use that check to create some stability for your family's future - your dream is a disaster in the making.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:12 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,841,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepower View Post
Mother alone multiple children, divorced with full custody both physical and legal. trying to get to a place she feels safe from abusive x husband. Limited resources, no family, limited education, and work experience. Goal: Safety, education, healing and self sufficiency. Can this be obtained on Maui? My worries public education and community acceptance. I am now on Welfare, and have been granted a Section 8 voucher. Soon I will have college grants and loans to help. Any thoughts or advice? Maui verses other islands and why or why not? Recommended neighborhoods and schools? Please Share from personal experience. Thank You
This post was like receiving an invitation to watch an impending train wreck. Everyone is frantically trying to warn the engineer, who is oblivious, and only wants to hear encouragement.
OP, I wish you well, but you need to re-think your strategy. Hawaii is not even remotely, the answer to your needs. MOST other States would provide better opportunities for you.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:06 PM

32,672 posts, read 48,139,958 times
OP, I suspect that all you will find in Maui is grinding poverty.

Just because you have a Section 8 voucher does not mean that there is a vacancy in Section 8 housing to take you. College grant will not be enough to pay non-resident tuition at any college on any Hawaiian island.

Maui is one of the very most expensive places in the USA to live. Real estate (rent) is very high, food is expensive, gasoline is expensive, electricity is really expensive, schools for all your children might be a little iffy and require you to pay for tutors or private schools, which you have no money for.

I suggest that you move to a part of the USA where the cost of living is a lot lower.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:44 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,814,251 times
Bluntly, I smell a troll.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:54 PM

242 posts, read 392,085 times
The people of Hawai'I do not need to support a deadbeat mom who can't keep her legs closed and trying to get a permenant vacation funded by the taxpayer.

Do not come.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:24 PM

569 posts, read 780,991 times
I agree with the posts above (excpet the one right before mine accusing you of being a deadbeat who can't keep her legs crossed...that was uncalled for).

Anyway, I wish you well, but would strongly suggest "getting on your feet" elsewhere before considering moving to Maui.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:17 PM

4 posts, read 7,770 times
Deadbeat Mom Who Can NOt Keep Her legs Closed Wow....that one sure did hurt!

This is my private torture....Not being able to find a community to embrace myself or my children in our truth as survivors of Domestic Violence. Me personally as a human being over coming such struggle Remaining a kind loving honest person who is doing her best to manage the confusion caused by the trauma and struggle to survive without any healthy family to speak of. There is no cover over a woman like me. I am considered less than by many just like the one who wrote the above response, This has been the take of police and courts. No one seeing the source of abuse. My children and I deserve as much as anyone else, NO drugs no alcohol no thievery no bad intentions......I am just trying to find a safe place for us!

I believe where there is a will there is a way....any community we live in will have to contribute to supporting us. This is true. We plan on giving back as best as possible by educating ourselves and becoming a positive aspect to the community.

So sad we are rarely met with compassion...much misjudgment usually follows us.

Tears...

Old 02-07-2013, 08:33 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Looking for compassion on an anonymous internet forum as a welfare recipient is rarely going to be a postive result.

Having a stranger on an internet forum affect your feelings - kind of odd.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:37 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,684,024 times
Purple, a lot of us have been in bad situations in our lives. I feel bad for you, and hope you do well. However, the main point here that some of us are trying to make is that you will not do well in Hawaii!!!!! Coming over with no means of support, no family, and needing welfare is a recipe for disaster. Move somewhere that's easier to get to and is more affordable to live. Save Hawaii for a future dream when you are back on your feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: