Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 10:26 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,280,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
US States with lowest cost of living:

Kentucky, Nebraska, Idaho, Utah, Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Indiana, Mississippi

Hawaii is DEFINITELY NOT one of them.

TLC Family "Top 5 U.S. States with the Lowest Cost of Living"
I agree with the others that Hawaii is a bad choice for you. You might do some research and find out which states are more generous for people in your circumstances. Minnesota has a reputation for being very generous for people in your situation. If I was in your situation, which I am not, I would not look at low cost states, but look for states that are more generous. Although if you were to become homeless, Minnesota is probably one of the worst places due to the very harsh cold winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 01:38 PM

4 posts, read 5,954 times
If you have half the rent, I have the other half. I'm a 70 yr old father of 3, currently in AZ but wanting to move to Hawaii.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:20 PM

756 posts, read 715,337 times
Whoa...

Old 02-12-2013, 02:46 PM

4 posts, read 5,954 times
Default reply?

where is my reply to purplepower?

Old 02-14-2013, 12:41 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,055,361 times
Ewwwww, creepy!!!!

Old 02-14-2013, 01:00 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
If you want safety you can get to without an expensive plane ticket, how about Canada? They don't let felons cross the border into their country so you'd be safe there. I haven't a clue about their immigration laws, employment options or anything else, though, but there would be a guarded border between you and any felons. I'm thinking he was charged and found guilty of some sort of felony? A DUI is enough to keep folks out of Canada. Canada out by the Pacific Northwest is lovely, dunno about the cost of living, though. But a small town somewhere in Canada might be a safe place that is a lot more affordable than Hawaii.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:01 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,055,361 times
Canada does sound like a better idea.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:40 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,404,930 times
Immigration to Canada is based on a point system. There are different categories, but most people immigrate under the Skilled Worker category. You complete an online questionnaire that gives you points based on your age, educational level, job skills, English and French language skills, whether you have a job waiting, etc. If you reach the minimum number of total points, you're eligible to apply for immigration, a process that I understand can take a year or more. (I looked into this when George W. Bush was reelected and I was temporarily bummed out over the direction the US was heading.) You can check the Canadian Government's website for current details.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:46 AM

242 posts, read 392,085 times
Stay out of Canada. Canadians don't want to support you, either. Go to Mexico!

Old 02-16-2013, 08:50 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,992,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
What about Alaska? Far away from the ex, very low cost of living, bet your new friends will all have guns for protection , and the State will give you more than $2,000 per year free just for being there:

Moving to Alaska ? Cost of living
Alaska is not cheap, less expensive than San Francisco, Honolulu, Manhattan, well most places are. Rent is not cheap and food is expensive. Their tax burden is low but housing, utilities and food can be costly. You can ask what people think on the Alaska board, but from what I've seen, they always say to have a significant amount saved before thinking of moving. So I don't think that would be a good fit for you either. What part of the country are you in now? You don't have to have anymore contact with this guy do you? There are mail forwarding services if you do, that way he would think you are in a different location. I understand you want to put some distance between you and this guy, but with limited resources you need to do a great deal of research on locations before moving. In many places there are waiting lists for housing and in some cities the areas are not so good. You should check into that. I would also look into the procedures for getting an in home day care license and costs involved. After getting the license you will still need paying customers and that can be a challenge when being new in the business and the area. Are there any places far away from your present location you have a good general knowledge about? Its always easier if you have been to the area before. Not having much money and no support in the new location makes it harder for sure. Good Luck.

Here's a list of states doing the most and the least for those needing assistance. Though they make no mention of waiting lists and so forth. While Alaska is on the list it doesn't really discuss cost issues or housing availability.

The states doing the most (and least) to spread the wealth - Business on NBCNews.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: