Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 04:57 PM

4 posts, read 7,770 times

Advertisements

Mother alone multiple children, divorced with full custody both physical and legal. trying to get to a place she feels safe from abusive x husband. Limited resources, no family, limited education, and work experience. Goal: Safety, education, healing and self sufficiency. Can this be obtained on Maui? My worries public education and community acceptance. I am now on Welfare, and have been granted a Section 8 voucher. Soon I will have college grants and loans to help. Any thoughts or advice? Maui verses other islands and why or why not? Recommended neighborhoods and schools? Please Share from personal experience. Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 05:04 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepower View Post
Goal: Safety, education, healing and self sufficiency. Can this be obtained on Maui?
No.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:31 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,464,547 times
Sorry, no.

Cost of living in Hawai'i is very high, and welfare rolls have doubled in the last year, so the available resources are severely strained already. You would have a very, very tough time in this state.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:35 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,056,886 times
US States with lowest cost of living:

Kentucky, Nebraska, Idaho, Utah, Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Indiana, Mississippi

Hawaii is DEFINITELY NOT one of them.

TLC Family "Top 5 U.S. States with the Lowest Cost of Living"

Old 02-02-2013, 06:20 PM

Can you give more specifics why. It may sound funny but going across the ocean will provide me a feeling of safety from this person. The lawyer suggested to take advantage of the loop hole in the court papers and put much distance and put him at a disadvantage as to find us and peruse us there would be a big financial and time costly venture for him. I really wish this was easier but he is this much of a threat. I have pity not animosity. I am thinking of my mental freedom and the children having a mother who is strong healthy and stable.

Also, the thought of life being slow paced and struggling there on Maui verses faster paced and struggling here on Main Land. There I thought people would be more friendly and community minded. I appreciate all your answers. Please elaborate.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:25 PM

My plan was to take advantage of the welfare grant and housing during the first year to establish residency. In the interim, I would apply for an in-home child care license and work from home. I also tutor. Maybe earning enough to let go of the welfare portion of help. Than, when residency is established enroll in school. Leaning on grants and student loans.

Please specify, is this a no to each island or just Maui?

Old 02-02-2013, 06:38 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,464,547 times
Quote:
My plan was to take advantage of the welfare grant and housing during the first year to establish residency. In the interim, I would apply for an in-home child care license and work from home. I also tutor. Maybe earning enough to let go of the welfare portion of help. Than, when residency is established enroll in school. Leaning on grants and student loans.
One problem is that virtually all welfare housing in Hawai'i has waiting lists of up to 5 years to get into. What do you do until then? Stay with family... the base assumption in Hawai'i is that you have family to live with.

Quote:
Please specify, is this a no to each island or just Maui?
Well, you did pick the second most expensive part of Hawai'i...

Old 02-02-2013, 06:49 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,930,312 times
You simply are not going to get a lot of sympathy in any city location in the US stating you want to move as a wefare recipient.

You aren't going to gain self sufficiency in Maui or any island in Hawaii if you start off of welfare - just homeless eventually.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:53 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,056,886 times
Quote:
The lawyer suggested to take advantage of the loop hole in the court papers and put much distance and put him at a disadvantage as to find us and peruse us there would be a big financial and time costly venture for him.
What about Alaska? Far away from the ex, very low cost of living, bet your new friends will all have guns for protection , and the State will give you more than $2,000 per year free just for being there:

Moving to Alaska ? Cost of living

Old 02-02-2013, 08:53 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,684,024 times
Purplepower, you described yourself as "Limited resources, no family, limited education, and work experience." If you have done any reading at all in this forum, you will find that any one of those alone will doom you in Hawaii (on any island). The fact that you have multiple children and no means of support, either financially or family, is a recipe for failure in Hawaii. It's expensive to get here, and when you fail how will you have the money to leave?

Spend some time reading through the many posts on here and you will soon see why you are getting these answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: