Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 12:12 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,790,784 times

Advertisements

A dog creates unique problems. My wife and I looked for 4-5 years for something to buy during one-month visits to Maui, then decided we really needed to be here living on-island to find the right place. So we started looking for a rental that takes dogs, which turned out to be really hard to find, at least in the area we wanted (Haiku), with the size we wanted. Never found the rental because while looking for it, we ended up finding just what we wanted to buy, and bought it. We ended up renting it out for a year while we put our Seattle house up for sale, got the dog paperwork in order, worked out shipping of car and household etc., and worked out the details with my employer to work remotely. If we did not have a dog, I think we would have rented first, lived here while searching for where exactly we wanted to live, and then bought something. But it has all worked out very well for us in the end.

BTW - I do all of my work over the Internet and it works fine for me. I think we pay $80/mo. for our connection. It is as fast as what we had in Seattle and works fine for what I do (I am in the software biz).

To give you an idea on rental costs - we rented out our house in Haiku for 1750/mo. It is 2 BR, 1000 sq ft. on 2 acres. Renter paid all utilities. We paid for grounds maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 01:09 PM

280 posts, read 474,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
My wife and I spent a week in Maui a year ago, visiting a friend who lived in Haiku. It was very nice, but I had commented at one point that while everything around was very pretty, I didn't think that we would appreciate it as much if we lived there full time, as opposed to visiting on occasion. Regardless, go for it, the worst thing that can happen is that you move back.

I like your philosohpy. I talked to a guy my age that just got married and moved there a bit ago and he had this to say about his move:

"Man it is awesome!! I've left before and realized that on a day to day basis there is NO better place! Sure I miss certain things, but we get 345ish days of sun/beach a year. Food/housing is more expensive, but you never have to buy winter clothes again, which we know adds up. Gas is only minimally more expensive, but how far can you go on an island? Point being the costs equal out in my opinion. I actually save more money here than I did living in Seattle. Kids make it tougher, but if its just you and Rebecca, I say go for it!! Give it a shot...Minnesota ain't going anywhere lol"

Old 03-07-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
A dog creates unique problems. My wife and I looked for 4-5 years for something to buy during one-month visits to Maui, then decided we really needed to be here living on-island to find the right place. So we started looking for a rental that takes dogs, which turned out to be really hard to find, at least in the area we wanted (Haiku), with the size we wanted. Never found the rental because while looking for it, we ended up finding just what we wanted to buy, and bought it. We ended up renting it out for a year while we put our Seattle house up for sale, got the dog paperwork in order, worked out shipping of car and household etc., and worked out the details with my employer to work remotely. If we did not have a dog, I think we would have rented first, lived here while searching for where exactly we wanted to live, and then bought something. But it has all worked out very well for us in the end.

BTW - I do all of my work over the Internet and it works fine for me. I think we pay $80/mo. for our connection. It is as fast as what we had in Seattle and works fine for what I do (I am in the software biz).

To give you an idea on rental costs - we rented out our house in Haiku for 1750/mo. It is 2 BR, 1000 sq ft. on 2 acres. Renter paid all utilities. We paid for grounds maintenance.
This is phenomanal information and nothing is yet detracting. I am going to be moving to the island with enough cash to pay rent for 3years if I need to at that price...and 2acres WOW! I need to get in touch with you on properties! So maybe I should be looking in Haiku? I loved Makena but will be honest I am not a millionaire yet, I am also in the software biz and can work remotely. Naturally I feel my wife will need something to keep her busy but better one looking for a new job than two...plus its time for a change of pace for her...she's spent the last 7years in the ER with very sick people.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:29 AM

157 posts, read 267,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui-intoxicated View Post
Oh and yes, this is a serious case of Maui fever. But hey I'll let you know if it wears off.
You might wait a bit to see if it wears off - it very well may not. My Maui fever struck nearly 20 years ago and still hasn't worn off.

Take my words as vicarious projection, but if my employer allowed working remotely I'd have little hesitation. Fact is, not many people have that opportunity, and you may not have that opportunity forever, especially since you don't yet have children. My only advice would be to approach it as a temporary plan, as though you are planning to live there for a year or 2. Even if it doesn't work out permanently, odds are you will have a really good chapter...

Old 03-10-2013, 01:02 PM

337 posts, read 615,172 times
I've been hearing from many people over here who do telecommute (mostly softerware coders that are not senior level) that they are requiring them to come back to the mainland or be within a few hours ride to the company. This should be something that should be asked of the employer if they have any future plans to do so, just so that you don't move here, and find out the company requires you to move back.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:34 PM

+1 on understanding the job security and risks that might come with this change. I would have a serious talk with the owner of my company. He has a history, recent and long of letting 6 others relocate from Homebase in Saint Paul to various places... currently he is in the Dominican so he will have some island fever when he gets back... a few Bourbons' and a real smooth Cuban cigar!

Old 03-10-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by je4xff View Post
You might wait a bit to see if it wears off - it very well may not. My Maui fever struck nearly 20 years ago and still hasn't worn off.

Take my words as vicarious projection, but if my employer allowed working remotely I'd have little hesitation. Fact is, not many people have that opportunity, and you may not have that opportunity forever, especially since you don't yet have children. My only advice would be to approach it as a temporary plan, as though you are planning to live there for a year or 2. Even if it doesn't work out permanently, odds are you will have a really good chapter...

Exactly...timing, no kids, temporary situation these are all the ideas in my head. If it's meant to be, then it will happen.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,037 times
We are from minnesota and are moving to maui here shortly. I can give you a few pointers but my situation differs somewhat. We found a place in maui meadows and believe that is a great neighborhood. No assoication dues, less restrictions and a variety of homes available and larger lot sizes make it perfect for us coming from mn. We looked online for homes and wrote up the offer and came to terms before looking at it. This worked for us but might not work for alot of situations.
I would recommened finding a rental there and rent your current home until it sells. Properties continually come and go and its hard to fly out everytime something new comes up.
Furniture is more expensive because the shipping, but it pays to shop around and price things out. To ship all your things its about 4 to 5k which might save you money rather than sell your things for cheap and repurchase for a premium. To ship a vehicle about 3k.
Its going to cost money to move but its worth it in the end. The longer you wait the harder it will be.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:10 PM

569 posts, read 782,646 times
I'll chime in echoing a couple of points:
- I agree with those who say rent first. Make sure you're happy with living on the island and and in the neighborhood before buying. (It takes typically 5-7 years to break-even if you buy.)
- It might be a good idea to find a home, then send for the dog rather than bringing him with you Day 1. You may end up wanting to live in tempoary housing (like a vacation rental) while you look for more permanent housing and a dog would really limit your choices.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPartTimer View Post
I'll chime in echoing a couple of points:
- I agree with those who say rent first. Make sure you're happy with living on the island and and in the neighborhood before buying. (It takes typically 5-7 years to break-even if you buy.)
- It might be a good idea to find a home, then send for the dog rather than bringing him with you Day 1. You may end up wanting to live in tempoary housing (like a vacation rental) while you look for more permanent housing and a dog would really limit your choices.
This is good forward thinking. Best case scenario is I find vacation housing that accepts my Golden prior to the move. Being a landlord myself I can somewhat understand the risks of renting to pet owners. I've rented to both responsible and irresponsible pet owners, they do make a mess but we clean after our pet. In a year 2kids can do more damage to a property than my dog could do in his life lol...at least in my humbling landlord experiences.

Next scenario would be to leave him at the folks until I find suitable housing and then begin the 90day process...with the downside being he would arrive no earlier than 4months after I arrive *assuming I find housing within the first month. This would be a tough option, as leaving your kid behind for 4 months isn't easy for anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui