Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 07:27 AM

280 posts, read 474,217 times

Advertisements

On the topic of buying...here are my initial thoughts, not being an islander nor knowing anyone in island real estate...

I've done enough reading and have enough experience that I know the most attractive offer is a cash offer in Maui...and anywhere really. I wouldn't attempt to buy any piece of property without a 50% cash offer...making my transaction more likely... I also wouldn't do this unless I had a silent investor partner willing to front 50% down with me and some sort of maintenance agreement. I would take out a 15year loan, live in the place myself at LEAST 5years so I can get it up to snuff... Then when I left me and my partner would have options. We wouldn't be underwater, we would have equity and again, its easier to unload on the other end.

As for the market...there is always a market and the grass is green where you water it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 11:19 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,790,784 times
Now is an excellent time to buy almost anywhere with interest rates so low and the RE market just now starting to recover. The recovery on Maui is not uniform, though. I think condos are way up in value but houses are so-so, depending on the area. Several agents have blogs but I take a look at this one:
Maui Real Estate Team Blog
Pete Jalbart does a good job of breaking down the Maui housing market into the supply/demand in different areas and price ranges, and how that has changed over the last year or two. You can get pretty familiar with the Maui RE market by reading his blog.

As to dogs - it is amazing to what extent our pooch drives all of our decisions. A huge factor for us choosing the house we bought was making sure the neighborhood and yard are dog friendly. Our dog is old so we looked for a car in Maui that would be really easy for her to get in/out of. I cannot imagine leaving her behind for a week let alone a month. But when it comes to traveling or renting a house, they make things difficult, that is for sure.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Now is an excellent time to buy almost anywhere with interest rates so low and the RE market just now starting to recover. The recovery on Maui is not uniform, though. I think condos are way up in value but houses are so-so, depending on the area. Several agents have blogs but I take a look at this one:
Maui Real Estate Team Blog
Pete Jalbart does a good job of breaking down the Maui housing market into the supply/demand in different areas and price ranges, and how that has changed over the last year or two. You can get pretty familiar with the Maui RE market by reading his blog.

As to dogs - it is amazing to what extent our pooch drives all of our decisions. A huge factor for us choosing the house we bought was making sure the neighborhood and yard are dog friendly. Our dog is old so we looked for a car in Maui that would be really easy for her to get in/out of. I cannot imagine leaving her behind for a week let alone a month. But when it comes to traveling or renting a house, they make things difficult, that is for sure.

All of this is important to us as well yes! Buddy is getting old and we are hopefully for 1 story walkout living with a vehicle he can get in/out of easily. I have a truck and pretty soon I will need to get him a step stool. Gotta love Winters!

And thanks for the blog link, I learned a lot.

Last edited by maui-intoxicated; 03-12-2013 at 01:27 PM..

Old 03-13-2013, 05:36 PM

198 posts, read 388,046 times
Have you only been to Maui? Why Maui over the other islands?

Please remember going to hawaii on Vacation is very different than living there.

Please read some old posts about people moving to Hawaii and then having to work two jobs to survive. Please read all the posts from Winkosmosis; he is a reader who moved to Maui and had to move back to the mainland. Very insightful.

The market in Hawaii is heating up. My place in Hanalei/Princeville has appreciated 200K in just two years. (I swear it)

don't belive those Hawaii Life shows on HGTV. Those prices are too low.

Again read winkosmosis' old posts!!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2013, 07:59 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,523,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiPono View Post
Please read all the posts from Winkosmosis; he is a reader who moved to Maui and had to move back to the mainland.
Yes, his posts are informative and educational, but he says, no, he didn't have to move back. He chose to move back to help his mother.

Quote:
And be sure to read the most recent ones, which straighten out the record.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiPono View Post
Have you only been to Maui? Why Maui over the other islands?

Please remember going to hawaii on Vacation is very different than living there.

Please read some old posts about people moving to Hawaii and then having to work two jobs to survive. Please read all the posts from Winkosmosis; he is a reader who moved to Maui and had to move back to the mainland. Very insightful.

The market in Hawaii is heating up. My place in Hanalei/Princeville has appreciated 200K in just two years. (I swear it)

don't belive those Hawaii Life shows on HGTV. Those prices are too low.

I have read a ton of the posts winkosmosis made and it was informative but I do feel an experience not closely related to something I will encounter. I do appreciate his tale!

I have relocated a few other times in my life. I have a secured career/job and a supportive wife and a friendly companion of a dog. We will not be staying beyond our first child's first birthday...which I cannot predict the future but that is at least 9months away heh. The plan would be to have kids in 3years, so in 4years if we are homesick or feel it's better for us to raise our kids back in St Paul then we will act accordingly.

For now my wife and I are really looking to unwind for a bit. If Maui is ultimately too rural or secluded of a community or we find we are not fulfilling our spirits than we will plan the next journey together.

Lots of people have got hung up on the logistics and such to the point I think they just scare themselves. This is America, land of the free, home of the brave...people need to be more free...and more brave. Understand this is just what we are trying to do!

We hope the community accepts us and allows us to contribute. If this becomes the case than it Maui our kind of place!

I have done some good research, planning and networking so I feel I am well prepared but I do realize life cannot be planned.

We are still in the early stages of our decision making process...we wouldn't make a rash decision without thinking about it for a while.

I appreciate your feedback and keep it coming!

Mahalo!

Old 03-13-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Yes, his posts are informative and educational, but he says, no, he didn't have to move back. He chose to move back to help his mother.

And be sure to read the most recent ones, which straighten out the record.
I've read enough to know that he needs to have a more positive outlook on a daily basis. It's hard to understand demeanor while utilizing interpersonal communication, but looking back at many of his posts, maui and non-maui related he knows how to find the negatives in situations and also prefers to share moreso with a negative demeanor in his posts than in a positive tone which is the path I tend to choose.

He might not admit it...but he is a little pessamistic IMHO...please don't torch me but a lot of people reference to him and I have heard many positive and uplifting stories from friends of mine, people on the island and in forums that I know his experience could be one way to go about it but is atypical and hard to relate to my life in general.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:26 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,591,685 times
Keep in mind that about 1,312,000 something people live in Hawaii. (not counting cannibals). About 20 people post on city-data in the hawaii forum on a regular basis. Of those 20 maybe 10 of them actually live in Hawaii. That leaves about 1,312,000 something people who live here who don't post on this forum. NOW, I can't personally account for WHY they don't post here, but they do seem to be doing OK is spite of it. Just saying, some folks actually live here without the advice of citydata. How they manage, I'll never know, but they're not all about to jump into the volcano..

hope i haven't pissed off the cannibals

Old 03-13-2013, 11:18 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,998,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Keep in mind that about 1,312,000 something people live in Hawaii. (not counting cannibals). About 20 people post on city-data in the hawaii forum on a regular basis. Of those 20 maybe 10 of them actually live in Hawaii. That leaves about 1,312,000 something people who live here who don't post on this forum.
And of the 10, at least 8 live on the Big Island and are very elderly.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:33 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,061,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Keep in mind that about 1,312,000 something people live in Hawaii. (not counting cannibals). About 20 people post on city-data in the hawaii forum on a regular basis. Of those 20 maybe 10 of them actually live in Hawaii. That leaves about 1,312,000 something people who live here who don't post on this forum. NOW, I can't personally account for WHY they don't post here, but they do seem to be doing OK is spite of it. Just saying, some folks actually live here without the advice of citydata. How they manage, I'll never know, but they're not all about to jump into the volcano..

hope i haven't pissed off the cannibals
BEST. CITY-DATA. POST. EVER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
And of the 10, at least 8 live on the Big Island and are very elderly.
There's another young person besides me?

"Very Elderly" supposes in excess of 75 years old. I think most of the B.I. posters are right in your very own age demographic. I think we have a few mainlanders posting who are "very elderly" but they aren't living here yet.

Last edited by HiloDiver; 03-13-2013 at 11:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui