Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 12:24 PM

569 posts, read 782,646 times

Advertisements

Sigh...and another perfectly good thread devolves into the usual suspects (plus a newcomer this time) getting into a tit-for-tat argument. I wish certain people would take a moment before clicking "post" to ask themselves if their point is a sincere effort to add value to the conversation, or more just a variation on the "I'm right"/"you're wrong" theme that is so tiresome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 02:22 PM

140 posts, read 189,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPartTimer View Post
Sigh...and another perfectly good thread devolves into the usual suspects (plus a newcomer this time) getting into a tit-for-tat argument. I wish certain people would take a moment before clicking "post" to ask themselves if their point is a sincere effort to add value to the conversation, or more just a variation on the "I'm right"/"you're wrong" theme that is so tiresome.
I plead guilty . I added him to my Ignore list the first day I posted on the forum and should have stuck with that decision. Your post has reminded to put him back there, as I genuinely don't like seeing threads like this ruined and don't want to be a part of it, you are right, it was a great thread.

Unfortunately with or without me it will keep happening as the only way it would stop is if a moderator steps in and puts a stops to it, and it looks like moderation here is pretty light. Otherwise it's very easy for one person to drag an entire forum down, he'll always manage to throw in negative comments that people will react to, and the bait is just too hard for people to resist.

Anyhow, thanks for the post and kick in the butt.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:30 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,784,358 times
Quote:
Im just curious MauiPartTimer not to argue with you and i understand what your saying but how does "If you're not ready to take a dog on yet, volunteering there is a great way to get a Fido fix. They need people to spend time with the dogs; practicing walking on leash and spending time socializing with them so they're good around people and attractive to would-be adopters."

Have to do with The subject/title of thread or the following question asked by O.P?

Question #3 Figure out how to get my 80lb lab to maui?

Pg 1/2

Old 03-11-2015, 02:40 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,784,358 times
Pg 2/2

Thou i respect that some peoples beliefs or views are boring or not interesting. The rule or ideal of hijacking a thread can't be used only because we don't like the topic. To be honest with you im quilty of hijacking threads once in awhile myself, but honestly im kinda sick of hearing the rich big money profit first spin of everything on here even though Hawaii is so much more then big money or money issues even with a moving forum. Anyway i mean no disrespect in my actions and will try to be more aware of my actions in the future. Mahalo for the wake up call.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:55 PM

5,531 posts, read 12,715,643 times
Quote:
+++++

Old 07-29-2015, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,002 times
Default Just moved here from Saint Paul

Hi,
My husband and I just moved here from Saint Paul. We made our decision within a month, mostly because of me. It was difficult for me to take that risk. Once I said yes, we packed and were on our way within 2 weeks. We put most of our belongings in a storage. We shipped one car from CA, and it just arrived here yesterday.
My husband found a job before we came here. I am looking for one.
It is beautiful here and we enjoy our daily adventures.
Few things I was surprised by:
- Food is not as expensive as everyone says
- farmers markets are great
- internet connection and phone service is pretty good - no different than in St. Paul.

if I had to do it over again, I would not rent the place without seeing it in person. I would come here and stay in the hotel for a week or two. We found a furnished apartment in Paia with an option of month to month rental for $1600 a month. Too good to be true? It was. The place was infested with roaches and cane spiders. I like nature, and watching a fight between a 747 ( huge roach) and cane spider could be interesting if I saw it on Discovery Chanel. Seeing it in person, in the bathroom, that was a bit much for us. After having a screaming contest with my husband, we decided that we cannot live like that. We moved to a hotel for one night and were lucky to find an apartment next day. It's only one bedroom, but it has an awesome view, and the rent includes pest control. So, if I can give you one advise is to make sure that pests are under control. Apparently, for some people here, roaches and spiders are part of Hawaii.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:13 PM

160 posts, read 288,574 times
No one told you about cockroach before you moved?! Wait till you see the centipides & geckos! AIYAH!

Old 07-30-2015, 02:54 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,592,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merced mullet View Post
No one told you about cockroach before you moved?! Wait till you see the centipides & geckos! AIYAH!
And the cannibals hiding in the closet

However, if they're kicking in on the rent

Just to add, roaches and spiders, centipedes and geckos, moa and stray cats, ARE part of Maui. It's friggin 'Paradise' to more than just tourists and malahini

Last edited by Jungjohann; 07-30-2015 at 03:17 AM..

Old 07-30-2015, 11:42 AM

280 posts, read 474,217 times
I don't visit city-data as often as I used to when I was getting ready to move. We sort of got used to the ****-roaches...its a similar annoyance to mosquitos in Minnesota, they are around, sometimes more prominently and you are forced to deal with it.

We did seem to notice more bugs on Maui than we did in MN...perhaps that's because the space is smaller on the island. We now live in the woods in Minnesota and though we do get some occasional bugs in the house...those dog days of winter provide some shelter from them.

As for renting sight unseen, there are too many scams going around to use that as the process. Always visit the home you are about to commit to first, that's common sense. Due your diligence.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:33 AM

308 posts, read 412,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post

Just to add, roaches and spiders, centipedes and geckos, moa and stray cats, ARE part of Maui. It's friggin 'Paradise' to more than just tourists and malahini
Could you please tell me what moa are? I googled it, and came up with some sort of non-profit organization and the extinct moa birds. Is that what you're talking about? If not, could you please educate me? Thanks :-).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui