Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 01:36 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,959,147 times

Advertisements

For me - very elderly is 60 on up, or basically retirement age - I'll likely think differently when I am 60 - while the post was a joke, have a sense of humor everyone - I do think experiences of someone who is in that age range and up "can" be out of touch especially when I read the responses to the $10K in savings threads. $10K is the start of an emergency fund - not savings. $10K to someone in their 60's probably seems like a lot of money for a twentysomething - I think no way. Not in 2013. Maybe 1995 - not now.

I'm sure someone in their early 20's (actually I have no doubt) would look at me as very eldery (I'm in my 40's) - elderly is view an individual changes their perception over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 02:39 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,782,138 times
And that is exactly the reason I told another poster to "take your current cost of living in the mainland, and add 20% to determine what you need to live on in Hawaii". Your cost of living is totally dependent upon your lifestyle and it is really really hard to ratchet down from living high on the hog to scrimping. Typically when in your 20's you're used to scrimping and when in your 50's you have a much higher income and have paid off the mortgage and are used to living high on the hog. 30's and 40's you are somewhere in between. So there is no magic number for income level needed to move to Hawaii, it is just 20% more than what you had on the mainland.

The idea of moving and living off a saving until you get a job is risky. Just as with income level, there is no single magic number for savings either. If you in a high demand profession, probably only need savings to live on for 4-6 months, so take your mainland salary, add 20% to that, and multiply by 4 or 6 to determine what your saving should be to move to Hawaii and survive without a job for 4-6 months. If you don't have a profession or an in-demand skill, better count on 10-12 months of savings.

None of this is rocket science. Just do the math and anyone can see if things will work out easily or not.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:55 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,057,588 times
60 is nowhere near elderly!!! I know very very few people that age who are frail and that is because of poor lifestyle choices or poor genetics or bad luck. Most of my friends are much younger than I am and not one of them thinks that elderly begins before the 70s. I am pretty sure we don't have any locals posting on this board in their 70s, but we have a couple of them wanting to come here.

I would have been a few grades ahead of you in elementary school, but since most people in their early forties (younger than you) think I am their age, I'd say that "age is just a number" is more than a saying. Time has been much kinder to some of us than to the others. In looks...but more so in attitude!

Old 03-14-2013, 03:02 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,959,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
you are in your late 40's
That would be a nope also. Mid at best. Still away from the "late". Late is near 50. Yuck.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:40 AM

36 posts, read 57,384 times
Take it outside you two. Let's get this topic back on track. One thing I noticed about us moving to Hawaii, our cost of living actually dropped significantly, and I attribute that to the change of lifestyle Hawaii allows. We are outside more, also we don't find ourselves with lights all the time. Also I love hanging out the laundry to dry. It is all those little things that make a big lifestyle difference. Our house is much smaller here than it was on the mainland, so way less time running that vacuum, which once again translates to more play time. When we made the move, we chose to buy as opposed to rent because we were certain this was the move we wanted, and we didn't want to deal with the hassle of finding a rental that would allow our two dogs and cat. Anyhow OP you sound like you have a workable plan. Just remember, when you see the steep driveways, do not worry about snow plowing. Hubby and I had to remind ourselves a couple of times that driving up and down said driveways would not be hazardous in winter. Good luck with your search, Maui would be a nice break from the Minnesnowta winters.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:24 AM

280 posts, read 473,863 times
Quote:
BEST. CITY-DATA. POST. EVER.

There's another young person besides me?

"Very Elderly" supposes in excess of 75 years old. I think most of the B.I. posters are right in your very own age demographic. I think we have a few mainlanders posting who are "very elderly" but they aren't living here yet.

LOL! I've noticed in general, a lot of retired folks are more active than the young folks on the forums I frequent...after all, most young folks are busy raising there families, making there wives happy or working and I would assume they just don't have the time to post.

A fun fact for the day, it just snowed another 1-2inches in Minnesota.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Island Cat View Post
Take it outside you two. Let's get this topic back on track. One thing I noticed about us moving to Hawaii, our cost of living actually dropped significantly, and I attribute that to the change of lifestyle Hawaii allows. We are outside more, also we don't find ourselves with lights all the time. Also I love hanging out the laundry to dry. It is all those little things that make a big lifestyle difference. Our house is much smaller here than it was on the mainland, so way less time running that vacuum, which once again translates to more play time. When we made the move, we chose to buy as opposed to rent because we were certain this was the move we wanted, and we didn't want to deal with the hassle of finding a rental that would allow our two dogs and cat. Anyhow OP you sound like you have a workable plan. Just remember, when you see the steep driveways, do not worry about snow plowing. Hubby and I had to remind ourselves a couple of times that driving up and down said driveways would not be hazardous in winter. Good luck with your search, Maui would be a nice break from the Minnesnowta winters.
I have a friend who moved from Portland Oregon, and they said they were actually able to stabilize on Maui and begain saving more then they were capable of in Portland. Again, everyone's situation is different.

I would complain about the side conversation about age, but it is important to know I am 31, and my wife is 30. Neither of us have debt and we have savings and investments.

I would never try to relocate anywhere on $10,000 in savings...especially Hawaii. I think people need to be realistic and remember the golden rule "Have enough savings for one year of expenses." So many financial experts say this for a reason....

It does come down to quality of life. Unrealistic expectations for us would be relocating to Maui without a job, without at least 50k in the bank and some friends to help when we actually get to the island.

Moving to a remote island of only 250,000 inhabitants away from friends and family is not for everyone. Some people get really comfortable with what they know but we are more like the young couple that wants a new experience, change of scenery, change of pace and basically just switch it up a little.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:30 AM

6,386 posts, read 4,852,455 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui-intoxicated View Post
I would complain about the side conversation about age, but it is important to know I am 31, and my wife is 30. Neither of us have debt and we have savings and investments.
It must be tough to take advice from 45-50 year old geezers! Old people DO tend to get cranky!
LOL: Sticks and stones, Viper & Diver!

Last edited by Futuremauian; 03-14-2013 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: To add inclusiveness ;-)

Old 03-14-2013, 08:35 AM

[quote=Futuremauian;28662883]
Quote:

It must be tough to take advice from 45-50 year old geezers! Old people DO tend to get cranky!
LOL: Sticks and stones, Viper & Diver!
LMAO... you guys are a hoot!

Old 03-14-2013, 09:57 AM

406 posts, read 867,448 times
Quote:
I am pretty sure we don't have any locals posting on this board in their 70s, but we have a couple of them wanting to come here.
HEY - I resemble that remark!

Mickey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui