Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 02:19 PM

280 posts, read 473,209 times

Advertisements

Compared to the past 2months it appears the Maui rental market has really picked up in that there are quite a few listings now.

I am guessing this has to do with schools wrapping up for the year... but is there some underlying factor that contributes to higher rental availability in the spring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 06:36 PM

662 posts, read 1,259,998 times
Yes, all the Canadians go back home...

Old 05-13-2013, 11:30 PM

337 posts, read 613,243 times
high Season ends in April. Its not uncommon for them to rent out houses for a few months as well.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:41 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchTempo View Post
high Season ends in April.
Well - I have to disagree. High season for Hawaii is June, July, August. By far, those months have the highest visitor numbers, the highest airfare, and highest hotel rates. I work in the hospitality business and we are bracing for "high season", and it is going to be a busy one - record setting. There are other times it is high season, like spring break, New Years, and essentially any holiday weekend. High season in Hawaii is driven by the mainland west coast - whenever kids are out of school. Note, our high season is opposite the Caribbean which is winter due to the oppressive humidity in summer and hurricanes.

Back to so many rentals being available - just like the mainland, many more rentals are available in summer months. On the mainland, often it is because people don't tend or want to move in the middle of winter. School letting out is a factor - more people move to/from Hawaii in the summer - as a landlord, if you can, you want your property available in summer with the most demand although it doesn't always work that way.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:58 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Well - I have to disagree. High season for Hawaii is June, July, August. By far, those months have the highest visitor numbers, the highest airfare, and highest hotel rates.
I know you like to debate this point, despite previous references in other threads to articles by travel industry pros, and explicit references on hotel rate cards referring to the December 15 to March 15 period as "high season." No matter what you may personally feel, though, I'm sure that many people and many businesses, and especially travel professionals will continue to refer to the winter in Hawai'i by its customary and traditional designation as "High Season."

Recalling the New York Times article I posted previously about this phenomenon, although larger numbers of people travel to Hawai'i during the summer months, corresponding to most families' traditional summer vacation schedules, there are so many promotions and package deals available that many visitors find they spend less total on travel and lodging than they would during the winter. With all that increased traffic comes increased competition, and increased competition results in lower prices. And in summer Hawai'i is essentially in competition with every other possible vacation destination a family could choose during nice weather. So deals abound during the Busy Season.

During snowy months on the mainland, however, the warm weather of the islands has a stronger natural appeal than many other places do, so the need for marketing goes down, and the marketing expenditures go down, the package deals are reduced, and the highest prices of the year apply.

This is all easy to verify by consulting the various travel guides, but just so this isn't only me talking, I'll highlight a few typical comments from a random travel site, one of many that say the same things about the "best times" to visit Hawai'i:

Quote:
SPRING: After mid-April most airfare and lodging prices drop as a result of "high season" ending.

SUMMER: Typically summer is classified on Hawai'i as the "low season." This results in lower rates for both accommodations and/or rental vehicles. However, this "low season" classification can often be misleading, as June - August are very popular with travelers. Airline prices will often increase into late June through July as demand is higher for seats nationwide.

FALL: "High season" for traveling begins in mid-December which typically causes rates for flights, tours, and accommodations to the islands to rise.

WINTER: By the time winter is in full swing, the "high season" has begun on the islands. This term of course brings back up the debate about defining "low" and "high" season. ... This is always a very busy time in the islands and can almost single-handedly make this the "high season" for accommodations. Thus, on average, the prices are higher and occupancy rates are higher. Bottom-line: expect to pay more in winter months.

Best time to travel to Hawaii

Old 05-14-2013, 08:46 AM

280 posts, read 473,209 times
Quote:
Well - I have to disagree. High season for Hawaii is June, July, August. By far, those months have the highest visitor numbers, the highest airfare, and highest hotel rates. I work in the hospitality business and we are bracing for "high season", and it is going to be a busy one - record setting. There are other times it is high season, like spring break, New Years, and essentially any holiday weekend. High season in Hawaii is driven by the mainland west coast - whenever kids are out of school. Note, our high season is opposite the Caribbean which is winter due to the oppressive humidity in summer and hurricanes.

Back to so many rentals being available - just like the mainland, many more rentals are available in summer months. On the mainland, often it is because people don't tend or want to move in the middle of winter. School letting out is a factor - more people move to/from Hawaii in the summer - as a landlord, if you can, you want your property available in summer with the most demand although it doesn't always work that way.

Good insight here. I haven't been during the "high season" if this is true, but I look forward to experiencing this very soon for myself. I was looking at airfare prices and yes, it is about 18% - 35% higher than when I booked in February. Does High Season equate to BUSY season as in more people visiting?

I am trying to find a common definition for what defines High Season, vs the Busy Season, Vs the Tourist Season vs just regular season.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:20 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui-intoxicated View Post
Good insight here. I haven't been during the "high season" if this is true, but I look forward to experiencing this very soon for myself. I was looking at airfare prices and yes, it is about 18% - 35% higher than when I booked in February. Does High Season equate to BUSY season as in more people visiting?

I am trying to find a common definition for what defines High Season, vs the Busy Season, Vs the Tourist Season vs just regular season.
Don't forget Whale season.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:24 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
The folks who rent houses, though, aren't typical one or two week tourists, they are the ones here for the whole winter season and will rent a house for three to six months at a time. Those are the folks who are leaving back to the mainland now. Plus the folks moving at the end of school season. Yard sales are usually pretty good this time of year.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:44 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

Recalling the New York Times article I posted previously about this phenomenon, although larger numbers of people travel to Hawai'i during the summer months, corresponding to most families' traditional summer vacation schedules, there are so many promotions and package deals available that many visitors find they spend less total on travel and lodging than they would during the winter. With all that increased traffic comes increased competition, and increased competition results in lower prices. And in summer Hawai'i is essentially in competition with every other possible vacation destination a family could choose during nice weather. So deals abound during the Busy Season.

During snowy months on the mainland, however, the warm weather of the islands has a stronger natural appeal than many other places do, so the need for marketing goes down, and the marketing expenditures go down, the package deals are reduced, and the highest prices of the year apply.

This is all easy to verify by consulting the various travel guides, but just so this isn't only me talking, I'll highlight a few typical comments from a random travel site, one of many that say the same things about the "best times" to visit Hawai'i:
Folks, I'm here to tell you the most expensive time to come to Hawaii is June, July, August - Spring Break, and Holiday Weekends - Despite a misinformed New York Times writer who doesn't live here.

Your biggest deals come in February (except Presidents Day weekend) and September. February is the slowest travel month to Hawaii with lowest occupancy and generally the best airfare. February is ideal for deals as it is not only traditionally has the least number of visitors - it is post holidays (New Years and Christmas) - post sales clubs which mostly occur in January - post Pro Bowl - and pre Spring Break. It is the hardest month to fill planes - and fill hotel rooms. Any sign at a hotel that says "high season" is winter is simply marketing spin. September (except labor day) is when kids are back in school - this is traditionally the second slowest month for travel to Hawaii.

Despite our multi-paragraph prolific poster - I actually work in the hospitality industry and slice and dice these numbers every single day for a living. It isn't an opinion. Numbers are what they are.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:13 PM

491 posts, read 1,652,088 times
Quote:
Despite our multi-paragraph prolific poster - I actually work in the hospitality industry and slice and dice these numbers every single day for a living. It isn't an opinion. Numbers are what they are.
Quote:
I work in the hospitality business and we are bracing for "high season", and it is going to be a busy one - record setting.
Quote:
I'm on the mgmt team of a healthcare software and services company.
You provided some useful insight in the healthcare field in past threads. Always thought you were in the healthcare field. Just curious, did you switch career or when you meant services company, did you also mean the hospitality industry as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui