U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 08:02 AM

597 posts, read 1,353,801 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find out the rates of electric on Maui and I am seeing conflicting rates from Maui Electric.

Could someone enlighten me so I can get an idea of what the bills run in Maui?

Here in Florida I have a 3,782 sq ft home and I use 1,526 kWh per month and my bill was $163. I am paying 12 cents per kWh. That is with me running 2 A/C units and we keep the house at 74. In the winter my bills are $68 a month.

BUT we make up for it with our $250 a month water bills. I am not sure how much water we are using (no bill to look at) but we conserve and only water our lawn for 15 minutes 2 X per week when it is dry season. We shut off water in shower when scrubbing, make sure dishwasher is loaded fully, have new appliances that use the least amount of water/elec. at possible. BUT this bill includes water, sewer and garbage.

Anyone care to share their info about their bills? Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 08:18 AM

5,432 posts, read 11,448,629 times
The cost per kilowatt hour of electricity on Maui is 38.71 cents. That's why a lot of us are going solar. Having a solar water heater is a good start if you can't afford to convert the whole house.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:06 PM

335 posts, read 565,993 times
I have a 2 bedroom, 1 ac units, electric water heater, no dishwasher/dryer, electric stove, and 2 fridges.
There are usually 2 tvs on most of the day. And while I'm there the computer/ac is on 24/7 for a good 1-2 days a week.
Electric water heater gets turned off once there's enough hot water for the day.

Watersewer is about 80/month
Trash is about 25/month
Last month I used about 700 KWH, my bill was 270.

This is for a home in Kihei.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:23 PM

Thanks Mitch That is not bad. I can handle that. I just didn't want to have a monster bill in my mailbox. When you say ac unit, do you mean window ac unit or central?

Old 05-29-2013, 04:30 PM

335 posts, read 565,993 times
Its like one of those $150 window ac u.its for a room. 8000btu? I think? It wasn't the super cheap one and it want the expensive one either

Old 05-29-2013, 04:42 PM

Oh OK. So then your bill is expensive. My house is a certified "Smart Home" so we have 2 central units but they are cheap to run. But my water is high and my taxes are horrible. ($7,500) Can you DM me? Thanks

Old 05-29-2013, 05:38 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,148,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
Oh OK. So then your bill is expensive. My house is a certified "Smart Home" so we have 2 central units but they are cheap to run. But my water is high and my taxes are horrible. ($7,500) Can you DM me? Thanks
Those two 'cheap to run' AC units are still going to cost about four times as much to run an hour on Maui, smart house or not.

Aloha

Old 05-29-2013, 06:18 PM

Default Smart House, not so smart LOL

I'm sure that it will be more, a lot more. But I can deal with it. My house will be a lot smaller.

But look at my taxes now! They are horrible here and in Hawaii it is way less. I am sure it will balance out.

I looked it up and got a few different rates for Maui Electric so that was why I asked. .38 per kWh is super high but at least I know now and I can deal with it.

BTW, I always read your comments you write to everyone. You really are funny

Old 05-29-2013, 08:36 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,006,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
The cost per kilowatt hour of electricity on Maui is 38.71 cents. That's why a lot of us are going solar. Having a solar water heater is a good start if you can't afford to convert the whole house.
I've seen many solar panels with Google Earth looking at Hawaii. Although, I think I should be seeing many more since the price of electricity is so high, the 'payback' time should be pretty short. I also read an article that the power system cannot handle all the excess solar power being generated by residential and commercial systems. The people are forced to pay thousands of dollars for studies. I would guess that the utility companies don't like solar power and want to discourage residents from installing solar power.

I haven't seen many posts about solar power on the forum. I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest. The article I read said the number of solar installations in Hawaii is doubling every year.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:32 PM

12,971 posts, read 26,407,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I would guess that the utility companies don't like solar power and want to discourage residents from installing solar power.
It's a complex issue, requiring a balance of competing interests and concerns. The power companies have huge investments in the current infrastructure, plus mandates to provide certain levels of service and financial return. Residential solar power reduces the need for institutional power generation during the day, when the sun is out, but at other times the utility must still be able to supply the community's needs using conventional methods.

And for consumers, getting a decent residential system installed might require an investment of $20,000, and still require a grid-tie to the utility for non-generating hours. Yes, there are various rebates and credits available that help accelerate the payback schedule, and there are also leased systems available, but it's still a non-trivial decision to add solar power to a house.

Quote:
I haven't seen many posts about solar power on the forum. I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest. The article I read said the number of solar installations in Hawaii is doubling every year.
There may be more than you think... interest is definitely growing. I've found there's a technique to searching the archives here, since the thread names may not be very useful. For a general sweep like this I use the Advanced Search, type in the search term and any other parameters I want, then choose the Hawaii forum to search, checking "Search Child Forums" to include all the individual forums, and choose "Show Results as Posts." (not Threads). Doing this with the word Solar I just pulled up 662 references. That could keep you busy for a while.

Also, don't overlook solar water heating, which uses a different technology, but which greatly reduces the need for electricity or gas for a conventional heater. On the Big Island these are required for all new construction except in areas that don't get enough sun to be practical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>