Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2014, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,310 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about shipping our daughter's 2003 Ford Focus to Hawaii. Our mechanic scared us and said that cars get turned away. It is in good shape. No leaks. No broken windows. Everything works. She has lived there long enough now to see how the vehicle inspections work and she has no worries about it passing that. However, she did live in Montana and drove it on a country road so it is dusty and dirty. We will get it cleaned and detailed but I am worried about the USDA (ag inspection). My fear is we will ship it and it gets over there and they find a spec of dirt and turn it away. I am more than happy to spend money for them to wash the dirt off over there if they found something but I don't want to have to ship it back. Is anybody familiar with this. Am I just over thinking it or is it a real concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 11:23 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,974,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imdamama View Post
My fear is we will ship it and it gets over there and they find a spec of dirt and turn it away.
If the car is accepted at the mainland port it'll be fine - the shipping company will do an inspection before it is put on the ship.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:40 PM

127 posts, read 180,765 times
Agreed with Whtviper1, as long as it's working over there, it should be OK here. Make sure the shipping company looks all around the car, not just one side. I know someone whose shipping company (carrier actually to get them from FL to CA) picked up the car at night and did not look at the car. When it got to CA, they called him as they saw a cracked window and wouldn't ship it - but to be honest, the guy knew about the crack and was hoping to file a claim - ok, he's a little shady. It gets dirty on the way here BTW, mainly from the ride from Oahu to Kahului (if you choose Matson). I shipped mine over from Texas in May and it was pretty dirty by the time it arrived in Kahului. However, I took it right to the car wash down the street and it was good as "new." I took it to get the safety inspection dude the next day and it passed with flying colors. My car has been in 10+ snowstorms, a hurricane, and a few (illegal) off road expeditions, yet it managed to pass all the emissions and inspections, etc. here. I would suggest getting the car up to snuff in the state it's in now, so you can manage the repairs from there. Otherwise, repairs here may cost a bit more and take longer, since most everything needs to be flown or shipped over.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:02 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,458,343 times
If there's any dirt, the shipping company will clean it off. Otherwise they'd be eating the cost to ship it back :P

Old 07-23-2014, 02:08 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,533,236 times
Quote:
We are thinking about shipping our daughter's 2003 Ford Focus to Hawaii. Our mechanic scared us and said that cars get turned away. It is in good shape. No leaks. No broken windows. Everything works. She has lived there long enough now to see how the vehicle inspections work and she has no worries about it passing that. However, she did live in Montana and drove it on a country road so it is dusty and dirty. We will get it cleaned and detailed but I am worried about the USDA (ag inspection). My fear is we will ship it and it gets over there and they find a spec of dirt and turn it away. I am more than happy to spend money for them to wash the dirt off over there if they found something but I don't want to have to ship it back. Is anybody familiar with this. Am I just over thinking it or is it a real concern.
Not sure what is going thru your mechanic's mind?
And yes, you are over-thinking this. Hundreds of vehicles show up in Hawaii each week - maybe thousands. As long as they accept it at the port, its no issue. Just empty it and clean it and have no broken/chipped glass and only 1/4 tank of fuel.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:57 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,501,862 times
Quote:
We will get it cleaned and detailed but I am worried about the USDA (ag inspection). My fear is we will ship it and it gets over there and they find a spec of dirt and turn it away.
Detailing it is unnecessary. A normal car wash should do it. Maybe a spritz with the high pressure wand if there is serious mud buildup on the undercarriage.

Your mechanic doesn't know. The carrier will not accept the car at the port if it won't pass inspection in Hawai'i.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: