Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:04 AM

73 posts, read 172,711 times

Advertisements

So the job offer with Blue Hawaiian has been modified from an early November start date to sometime after the first of the year. We are breathing a sigh of relief, for sure, as this will give us time to get the house sold (hopefully!), pets quarantined, etc. etc.

On a 1-10 scale, we are at a solid 7.5 in our decision to take the leap and make the move!

So...we're looking at our budgeting, and also at what to take with us and what to leave behind, and we still have a couple questions....

• Internet provider? How much?
  • Metal patio furniture - will it rust there? (we just bought a new set )
  • what's gas going for right now? Cheapest gas here - Costco - is about $3.80 for the lowest grade.
  • Does leather furniture mold there? (ew)
Pets are going in for the first step of the quarantine - the rabies blood test to be sent off to the U. of Kansas, at $238 per pet....cha ching! After we've spent that, I think we'll be at a solid 8-1/2 to 9 on the 1-10 commitment scale! Here we go....!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 01:09 PM

337 posts, read 613,579 times
1) If you want a 20Mbps download connection its about $40/month across the board.

Internet service speeds comparison/cost etc.
Hawaii Internet Service Providers - Compare Broadband Speeds | Speedtest.net
Internet service map:
http://bbmap.pdc.org/bbmap/

Depending on how old the home and connection to the home is your mileage may vary. I lived in Maui meadows for 30 years, and we had old cable/copper lines, so my speed was 1-2 Mbps. Then they ran some new wires to some houses, and it jumped to 15Mbps. Some homes/ohanas have soo many cable splits in the house that it downgrades the connection significantly.

Time Warner Cable Prices - $15-80/month
Cable Internet Plans & Package Deals, Make Time Warner Cable Your Internet Service Provider!

Hawaii Telcom
Hawaii High-Speed Internet up to 50 Mbps | Hawaiian Telcom

Verizon
High Speed Internet Service- High Speed Internet Providers | Verizon (you must buy phone service too).

2) Depends on where you end up living, and the quality of the furniture too. I've seen cheap patio furniture at vacation rentals that are fine,, and the vinyl gives away before the metal rusts. And some expensive new metal things out in Waiehu that rusted within a year (like my wife's brand new car).

3) Gas has been between $3.99-4.30 at Costco over the last few weeks.

4) Also depends on where you are, how often you are the place out etc etc.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:11 PM

337 posts, read 613,579 times
Oh and if you're coming in the early part of the year, I'd suggest getting a vacation rental or arrange for a place to stay now. That's our busiest time of the year for tourists, so most hotels etc will be booked.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:58 PM

73 posts, read 172,711 times
Thanks Mitch!

Old 09-21-2014, 06:13 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,677,841 times
EVERYTHING rusts out here. I live 5 miles from the ocean, and between the vog and the ocean air we find rust both inside and outside the house. I've seen people spray all metal stuff with Rustoleum, even their appliances. Our outdoor furniture has held up fairly well over the last ten years; only the moving parts have rust.

Cheapest gas on any of the islands is usually going to be Costco, although sometimes you can find some cheap stations. You can always get real-time gas prices by looking at websites such as Gas Buddy, but it looks like Costco doesn't post their prices on-line. Last week we paid $3.98 per gallon at the Costco in Kona, while prices at the regular stations were around $4.27. Of course, who knows what those prices will be in six months!

Good luck with your move.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:01 PM

52 posts, read 89,826 times
Default Hello!

Hi Lori/Randy!!! Welcome and Congrats! We did the same thing you guys are doing! First, take a deep breath...LOL! We moved to Maui from Olympia 6 months ago...I'm likely headed to Costco this week will take note of their gas prices and report back. I had tons and tons of questions prior to my big move and this forum was usually a great help. I am also offering whatever help I can personally provide as well, feel free to PM me if you'd like and I can give you my email, etc. Again a hearty congrats on your decision and big move!

Old 09-22-2014, 05:36 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,453,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjforever View Post
I'm likely headed to Costco this week will take note of their gas prices and report back.
GasBuddy reports Costco Kahului at $3.93/ gal today, with most stations in the area reported at $4.29 - $4.49

Hawaii Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Hawaii

Old 09-22-2014, 06:00 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
I've never understood the fascination with Costco gas unless you lived right next to a Costco. Even if you managed to put 15 gallons of gas in your vehicle, you'd save a whopping $4.50 - and if you lived in, lets say Kihei - you need to use gas to get to Costco to begin with - deal with crazy lines since people think .30 cents/gallon makes that much of a difference - time spent going to/from, etc.....

Old 09-22-2014, 06:31 PM

42 posts, read 86,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I've never understood the fascination with Costco gas unless you lived right next to a Costco. Even if you managed to put 15 gallons of gas in your vehicle, you'd save a whopping $4.50 - and if you lived in, lets say Kihei - you need to use gas to get to Costco to begin with - deal with crazy lines since people think .30 cents/gallon makes that much of a difference - time spent going to/from, etc.....
You see the same thing on the mainland. People will drive across town to save .05/gallon. Do the math people. If you put 20 gallons in you only saved a dollar, but you spent 4 driving there.

Regards,
Mike W.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:15 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,576,023 times
And then you have to deal with the whole Costya mentality. I've only been there a few times, Kahului, but it's friggin scary. Everyone wandering around in the store with that, 'mine! mine! mine!' dazed expression on their faces. No thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-3e0EkvIEM

'You guys shut up!'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui