Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 10:19 AM

30 posts, read 71,035 times

Advertisements

Hi guys

I plan on moving to Maui in the spring and I plan on buying a new car as my lease is up here. I'm planning on a Subaru crosstrek or outback.

I can either buy here (any idea of shipping rates?) or buy there (I have a car I can borrow here). I've heard Oahu has similar prices to here in NJ (though it's end of year right now and may get better pricing than spring.) I ran into someone on Maui who got hers there and she paid 5k down and $375 a month which is crazy for the Crosstrek.

Though I feel in my heart I will be in Maui until my dying days (im 60) what if after a year I wanted to sell? Are subarus as popular there as they are here?

Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 10:43 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Sorry, I'm on a different island and can't count the Subarus on Maui. However, have you factored in the cost of getting a car from the East Coast to Hawaii? That will run at least $2,000, I'd expect.

Just as a side note, did you know that 'Subaru' is Japanese for the star constellation we call the 'Seven Sisters'? That's why the constellation emblem on the car's badge. I'm not sure what they call the star constellation, though, it might translate to something entirely different than Seven Sisters.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:36 AM

Thank you! I'll look into buying in Oahu. Thanks for the info. I didn't know the meaning of it!

Old 12-19-2015, 12:05 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Sorry, I'm on a different island and can't count the Subarus on Maui. However, have you factored in the cost of getting a car from the East Coast to Hawaii? That will run at least $2,000, I'd expect.

Just as a side note, did you know that 'Subaru' is Japanese for the star constellation we call the 'Seven Sisters'? That's why the constellation emblem on the car's badge. I'm not sure what they call the star constellation, though, it might translate to something entirely different than Seven Sisters.
The "official" name for the constellation is The Pleiades. But you're right, the common term is Seven Sisters.

Did you know that the Japanese telescope on Mauna Kea is called Subaru?

Old 12-19-2015, 11:57 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Pleiades is much harder to spell than Seven Sisters, though.

Have you considered the Big Island, Artistx? Then you'd have a telescope on the island to match your car. We even have two Subaru dealers instead of just one.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:26 PM

10 posts, read 46,047 times
FYI for others with your query. 49 states are part of Subaru of America, in Hawaii Servco Subaru is part of Subaru of Japan. I would check if the new car warranties are crossover between the two. Reasoning; I thought of buying a Subaru on the mainland and bring it back, dealerships said it would be lots of paperwork and very difficult to sell to me with the intent of bringing it back to the Islands. My 2cents

Old 12-20-2015, 09:48 PM

Thanks jp. I'll give Subaru and mv a call. Much appreciated.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:14 AM

15 posts, read 53,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jportal View Post
FYI for others with your query. 49 states are part of Subaru of America, in Hawaii Servco Subaru is part of Subaru of Japan. I would check if the new car warranties are crossover between the two. Reasoning; I thought of buying a Subaru on the mainland and bring it back, dealerships said it would be lots of paperwork and very difficult to sell to me with the intent of bringing it back to the Islands. My 2cents
That expains it, I have the Subaru Gold Added Warranty & noticed that it said it is not valid in Hawaii.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:46 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
What an interesting thread. Bravo!

I never would have guessed that Subaru in Hawaii was part of Subaru Japan. I wonder how many folks moved their Subaru from the mainland to Hawaii without knowing that.

When we lived in Hawaii back in the 50s my father bought a used car that had stayed on Oahu for years being resold by military families who were being transferred to the mainland. That car was resold so many times and always by military families to military families. It wasn't a Subaru but this thread reminded me of that car. That has also brought to mind the fact that Dad also bought a scooter and drove it around Hickam. The scooter lived on Oahu, too, with several military families through the years.

Thanks for rekindling these great memories.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:57 AM

This thread is way off track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui