Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 11:30 AM

52 posts, read 59,598 times

Advertisements

Aloha! Husband found a great job and will be working in Kahului. We are a family with four kids and am looking for the right town for us. I have searched these forums and would like some currant info as it pertains to our needs. I have narrowed it down to upcountry towns of makawao, pukalani, and haiku and possibly paia. The most important aspect to me is family friendly town where lots of children live and play outside. We like to ride our bikes and push the baby in the stroller. We have a car which helps if we need to get far, but I want the area we live in the be friend and safe for the children to play on the streets or sidewalks. Would like an area where here are lots of kids and not just older retired people. We try to eat healthy and like a place that's health concious and cares about Aina. I don't need to be able to grow my own fruits and vegetables, but having an abulafance of it close by is a plus. We would like an area where we're don't have to run the ac, but that's not a deal breaker for us. I have looked into schools on these forums and haven't found many currant threads. I have looked into other resources as far as schools and am pretty open minded about it. Homeschooling is an option for us and I've done it in the past. Husband is Filipino and I am half. I know and speak Tagalog but don't look like I can lol (or at least that's what everyone says). It very important for me to dig deep, learn and embrace Hawaii amd all in encompasses. I would love to find a place that's welcoming to a family like ours.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 03:05 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,563,217 times
On Maui the "just older and retired people" very often live with, and/or or side-by-side "lots of kids". Hawaii is full of Multi-Generational Communities.

It's not Boca-Raton.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:07 PM

When we stayed at Kapalua, there were far more older retired people and not many kids at all who weren't on vacation. . Out on east side, the hoses are so far apart and we never seen children outside. Didn't loook like there were many kids for them to play with. In south Kehei, we seen more kids but they were on vacation. I think I asked some valid questions.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:31 PM

Can anyone give more specific on those towns I named about. We have been to the island several times and think I have narrowed it down pretty well. All insight is appreciated.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:39 PM

121 posts, read 203,788 times
Just don't tell anyone your kids are 75% Filipino. It's a very odd number and they are certain to be ostracized.

In other news, Haiku to Kahului (and back) in traffic is a painfully long drive.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:33 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,580,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingMaui16 View Post
Just don't tell anyone your kids are 75% Filipino. It's a very odd number and they are certain to be ostracized.
That is absolute, and utter, BULLSH*T.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:11 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,779,644 times
OP - I am one of the many retired folks here on Maui so I cannot answer your question with a lot of authority. But here's a couple of observations from the north shore side of Maui....

Around Paia you should look at Toy Town, which is very small and is located on/around Hoku Pl. It is a pretty tight community. Kids play in the street which is a col-de-sac so no thru traffic. Kuau Bayview is further down the road and is also family oriented. Both are close to the bike trail which goes from Paia to Kahului.

There are some nice family oriented pocket communities scattered around Haiku but they will be more remote. The further east you go, the more rural it gets and the roads are less bike or kid friendly. I would look up and off of Kokomo Rd.

I personally don't mind the drive from Haiku to Kahului. Yes it gets a bit of traffic but it is far better than freeways on the mainland so just be thankful for that.

Makawao and Pukalani are both going to be similar to Haiku except less rural - you will have to find a neighborhood that has the ambience you want for your family. They exist, but you will have to look for them. Neither town is going be good for riding bikes from one end to the other. You have to remember that Maui is basically a rural, agricultural island that is now trying to accommodate people who want a suburban experience and it is not really set up for that.

We have friends who live over close to Wailuku (Maui Lani, Waikapu area) and love it. The communities there are more recent so are a little more suburban in their layout and from what I have seen are very family friendly.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:17 PM

Thank you all for the input.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:19 PM

when you all say traffic is bad from haiku to Kahului is long, how long are we talking?

Old 02-05-2017, 10:28 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,580,958 times
If it were me, I'd want to live closer to work. Nothing wrong with the subdivisions around Wailuku, especially up around Wailuku Heights, and the housing Maalaea side of Wailuku. Plenty of kids, schools, shopping nearby. When you want to hit the beach, Baldwin is close by, as is Kihei. I don't know why ANYBODY would want to live in Haiku

Uuurrrrpppp, scuze me, hope this helps

PS, I've lived on Maui for OVER 4 months now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui