Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 07:55 PM

163 posts, read 268,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingMaui16 View Post
Who regrets having kids? I’ve never met anyone who regretted having kids, though I never met the Unabomber’s mother.
I find it amusing you seriously think that everyone who has kids is glad they had them. The issue is that it’s not socially unacceptable to say you regret having your children. If it was, you would be hearing about it way more than you would believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 02:12 PM

121 posts, read 203,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
I find it amusing you seriously think that everyone who has kids is glad they had them.
I am here to amuse. $10 says you’re childless.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:33 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
I am here to amuse.
I'll amuse you back....

Mothers who regret having children are speaking up like never before

The mothers who regret having children

https://www.marieclaire.com/culture/...t-having-kids/

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...aving-children

We can keep going....

Old 03-01-2018, 02:26 PM

163 posts, read 268,830 times
Quote:
I am here to amuse. $10 says you’re childless.
I'm not "less" of anything. I'm childfree because I consciously decided NOT to have children because they are a drain on your time, finances, and sanity. I rent a MIL suite from a family of 5, and every day I'm so glad I'm not the one up there dealing with those kids. And these are nice children with good manners, good personalities, and no special needs.

I already knew about people who resented their kids via the internet (some of the links I read are posted above), but it was working with abused and/or neglected children that taught me that it's not uncommon for people to resent their own children. I've seen parents straight up tell their own flesh and blood that, by being born, the child ruined their lives. And that's just the people who are so crazed that they are willing to be honest. Think about all the parents who say nothing, but treat their own children with resentment every single day.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:42 PM

12 posts, read 8,991 times
Maui is very expensive. If you plan on retiring there, think about it twice. Also, what is your field of work? In Maui, there is always a constant need for people in the hotel/food industry.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:49 PM

23 posts, read 43,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSWayne View Post
Here's my deal- mid forties with wife the same. We have about 1.1 million saved, not including retirement accounts. We have house worth about $200K with no mortgage and paid off cars. No debt at all. Our annual spending is around $50k.

We've visited Maui 20 times or so and are contemplating heading to Maui permanently. We are worried about making a living and getting health insurance. We want a nice house, but nothing extravagant. What are the odds that we could make 50-60K between us (without each getting multiple jobs) and getting some health insurance?

We are in a good situation at home and I don't want to blow it for a plan that will fall apart. Any thoughts on how successful a relocation might be with that financial picture in mind?
I actually had an employee when I lived on Maui that retired from Ohio, he had a pension. Anyways, you can get medical from jobs if you work 20 hours a week in Hawaii (it has to be consistent). I know many jobs that will cut you off immediately, if you make 19 hours. My employee hit 65 and was eligible for SS, but due to restrictions he could only work 19 hours, or they'd tax him $1 for every $1.50 he made. That is something to consider, if you want to find a job in Hawai'i. He had some sort of other health insurance plan that covered him, because we did not cover him. Health insurance is kind of crazy, I looked up plans for an uncle and Kaiser had a basic plan for $400/m.

There are TONS of minimum wage/entry level jobs available right now in Hawai'i, so I'm sure you'd have no issues finding a job. If you're both trying to make 30k a person, it's doable. In order to make $30,000/year (before taxes) you'd need to find a job that pays $15.63 an hour (say you're both working full time). I know most jobs start at $11-12 (upwards) in the hotel/retail/food and beverage right now, find a place with tips and you'd be doing well. But that's if you're working FT, not sure if you want to retire and have to work that much and potentiall not see one another due to different work schedules (it's tough to request time off in retail environment).

Old 01-29-2019, 11:21 AM

108 posts, read 81,244 times
Quote:
Here's my deal- mid forties with wife the same. We have about 1.1 million saved, not including retirement accounts. We have house worth about $200K with no mortgage and paid off cars. No debt at all. Our annual spending is around $50k.

We've visited Maui 20 times or so and are contemplating heading to Maui permanently. We are worried about making a living and getting health insurance. We want a nice house, but nothing extravagant. What are the odds that we could make 50-60K between us (without each getting multiple jobs) and getting some health insurance?

We are in a good situation at home and I don't want to blow it for a plan that will fall apart. Any thoughts on how successful a relocation might be with that financial picture in mind?

You have 1.1 million.... Are you just here to gloat? You can literally move anywhere you want. My wife and I are moving to Maui with 20k that took us years to save.... you have to be joking.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:23 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times
So HankYellYouWhat what do you think a nice house in Maui costs?
Are you feeling better now that you berated this couple?
Not everyone works for McDonalds.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:20 PM

416 posts, read 408,898 times
Quote:

Ignoring the financial portion of your post as others have beaten that into the ground already. I considered the same move and was also financially secure but after the last few trips to Maui started to realize that I could easily become bored there. It is paradise in a vacation Wonderland but day-to-day my gut tells me I would run out of things to do quickly. You are in your mid 40s and doing well financially. Consider buying a condo there and staying X months per year. Keep another homebase somewhere more metropolitan maybe where you are at currently. They used to call the snow birding and I never understood it but now as I’ve gotten older I see the wisdom in it. You take the best season in time slices of your favorite places but get to go somewhere else when you’re bored.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:24 PM

518 posts, read 764,156 times
To add to the above. Even if you have money, you may not actually enjoy or truly realize what island living is like.

Just like peta2013 said, you can get island fever.

Living in Hawaii =/= vacationing in hawaii.

When you vacation you are enamored with the scenery, and you have activities planned for every single day to check out all the sights.

Living here daily, you will realize you have to either truly love beach/hikes daily and other daily practicalities are not as convenient as the mainland: amazon prime is useless, less services/types of stores here than what is seen on mainland, time zone difference, healthcare needs/concerns, also Hawaii is tropical so a bug you see here and there is not unexpected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: