Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 02:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
He also said the storms seemed to be getting worse. He lived there 8 years and moved to N. Ga. where he is much happier.
I can't imagine living in North Georgia - with its high humidity in summer (hence, thunderstorms), possible tornadoes, ice storms in winter, hail, etc is more calming than Maui weather......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 04:24 PM

4,599 posts, read 2,990,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comoniwannaleiya View Post

The huge spiders, centipedes and geckos were annoying.
Okay, looking at just one tiny facet of that big picture, but...

why would geckos being annoying?

Old 01-23-2019, 05:08 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post

why would geckos being annoying?
I'll speak for myself, if one happens to get in the house and manages to initially avoid the cat (more on that later), the thin streak of Gecko poop they leave on the wall, is - in my opinion, annoying.

Then when the cat does catch it, and eats it, and then throws up the half digested body, that also annoys me.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:30 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,796,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I can't imagine living in North Georgia - with its high humidity in summer (hence, thunderstorms), possible tornadoes, ice storms in winter, hail, etc is more calming than Maui weather......
The weather here is a lot better than in many places. Maui was too claustrophobic for him. We located from FL this year and have found the weather here much more tolerable. Haven't experienced any ice storms or hail yet, thankfully. Or tornadoes. Lots of rain these days though.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:30 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,789 times
Quote:
I'll speak for myself, if one happens to get in the house and manages to initially avoid the cat (more on that later), the thin streak of Gecko poop they leave on the wall, is - in my opinion, annoying.

Then when the cat does catch it, and eats it, and then throws up the half digested body, that also annoys me.
I'd find a vomiting cat a little more annoying than a gecko. Besides, geckos are natures insecticide. Maui now seems to have been overrun with gold dust day geckos, another pet that got loose. However, their aussie accent is a little annoying.

And how anyone can find Flattida more appealing than Maui is beyond belief.

Aloha from moku mo'o

Old 01-24-2019, 11:35 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Quote:
<SNIP>
However, it’s a very odd place to live. The people who end up on Maui are strange at best. It’s the land of lost toys. Seems like people end up there running away from something. I’m talking about residents and not snow birds with condos in Wailea.
<SNIP>
As many other folks have mentioned, Hawaii is different than the mainland, so of course by mainland standards it's gonna be "odd".

From the sounds of it, most of the personal interactions were between the OP and other Maui transplants not necessarily between the OP and Hawaiians or kama'aina. So, yeah, many transplants are misfits kinda looking for a place more suitable than where they were. Or they wouldn't have left where they were from in the first place, now would they?

If you ask your friends, "eh, where you grad?" and a lot of them point to the local high school, then you'll know you're not living with a lot of folks who didn't fit in somewhere else and are looking to reinvent themselves. That will cut down on the drama - other than the usual small town drama of where everyone knows everyone else as well as what they and their cousins are doing. Which would happen on Maui, Molokai, Kauai and Hawaii islands, not as much on Oahu since there's too many people to keep track of over there. Some areas of the outer islands are now geting too populated to be 'small town', but there's still a lot of small town around. There's even some on Oahu, but you have to get out of Honolulu or stick to a very small portion of Honolulu town to get the same small town effect. OP may be used to big cities? We dunno.

The OP was also dating and trying to find "educated men with 9-5 jobs and a retirement account". In a service economy, what jobs are there for that group of people? Island life isn't going to attract them very much except as a vacation spot. There will be a few such as university professors, doctors, dentists, bank managers, etc., but frequently those sorts of jobs go to folks who graduated Punahou, Hawaii Prep or Kamehameha, especially the bank manager type jobs. However, folks who wen grad da kine, generally aren't gonna really want a mainland wahine unless there's something major special about them. As in this case, after a few years they go away again.

It's another story of someone moving to the islands with expectations of what wasn't here and being dismayed at what is.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:39 PM

4,599 posts, read 2,990,451 times
Quote:

Okay, those are good reasons.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:08 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,765,093 times
Quote:
As a real person who actually moved from the mainland to Maui and then back to the Midwest after 4 years by choice, I have some decent insight. Most of the posts on here and comments seem fake.

However, it’s a very odd place to live. The people who end up on Maui are strange at best. It’s the land of lost toys. Seems like people end up there running away from something. I’m talking about residents and not snow birds with condos in Wailea.

At first it was intriguing meet these odd ducks, .......
Interesting first and only post. The problem is not really Maui, it is people who mistake perfect-living-in-paradise for an island in the middle of the Pacific. I personally never came here because I thought it would be a hassle-free, I came for the wind and waves (which I got), no more cold feet in winter (which I got), and sunshine (yes). If you think that Hawaii is somehow devoid of people problems, think again. Those are found everywhere.

(signed) An odd duck.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:56 PM

108 posts, read 81,119 times
Yea I laugh at these posts. People who think a move will solve all their problems will never be happy. If you want to move somewhere move somewhere, but good lord nowhere is perfect. Everything in life is a balance, a give and take. You should carefully gauge those "gives" and "takes" before moving, and not be surprised or bitter if it doesn't work out as planned.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:35 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
My first cousin lived on Maui with his family. He gave up a great job with ATT corporate on the mainland, sold his beautiful house and an apt. building he owned in a nice suburb, and relocated to Maui with his family without a job and with a crate full of stuff. The last thing he did before he left was to arrogantly make fun of all the train commuters who he called "robots" ( of which, of course, I am one ) and he proceeded to walk backwards up an escalator to show his contempt of the whole corporate way of life while laughing. It was a scene out of a bad movie.

He found and bought a great house on the island with a view of the ocean and a unit on the property that they could rent out. It was Hawaii for good, with surfing and beach, and the Hawaiian lifestyle with a Jeep and the sun. It started out great, but eventually, like some of the other posts, they ran out of land to explore and adventures to have, and the island became a cage for them. Their kids went to an ok elementary school that had a good caucasian mix, but after that it was graduation to a lackluster school where their blonde kids were called Howlies and they felt out of place and intimidated. The excitement of the week eventually was the Costco ship pulling in, and all the locals rushing over to get the food while the supply was good.

The friends they first made left the island, and there were too many island orphans with drug problems around for them to want to stay and have their kids grow up there. They moved back to the mainland after 5 years, and after relocating to the desert Southwest, lost most of their profit made on homes in the real estate crash when he was forced to sell his house due to a divorce for an enormous loss.

If there is a moral to the story here, I think it is to look first, look again, and again and then jump when you are sure you are going to land safely on a stone in the lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui