Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2021, 05:04 PM

5 posts, read 7,151 times

Advertisements

After this past winter, it was made clear to me that winter snow and wind chill, etc. is not for me. I HATE IT! I wanted to move to Florida originally, mainly because it's closer to my family and friends.

Here's the thing...
I have a major case of arachnophobia.
I hate spiders and spider-like bugs.

I'm not really afraid of other bugs or insects besides spiders.

So here are my hold-ups and questions:
1. Are there tarantulas? (They're creepy af.)
2. Are spiders common (Like seen every single day)?
3. Are the spiders really the size of tuna cans or was this an exaggeration from yahoo answers?
4. I know it's expensive, but I really wanna move here, mainly for school to give me a glimpse of what it's like here... I'm 24, so I probably can't live on campus... I live in low-income now so my rent is based on my income... It's helping me afford college. I'm saving as much as I can for living off-campus in whatever city I end up in!

I don't want anyone to think that because I'm from a low-income area, that my intentions are bad or I'm lazy "riding the system." I had to get out of a situation so it was this or a homeless shelter. This way I actually could work for my stuff. Anyway. Not that it's anybody's business, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2021, 06:00 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
We do have giant spiders but I don't see them every day. Centipedes are more common and cause intense pain when they bite. Amazingly, they can even be found on the upper floors of high rise buildings (along with termites, ants, rats, and flying roaches). Since we don't have a cold winter, there's no annual die-off of insects. I've never been anywhere with more bugs than Hawaii.

I think a bigger concern is that our unemployment rate is extremely high right now. (Perhaps the highest in the nation?) Young people typically work in the service/tourism industry and many of them are now unemployed. Hotels/bars/restaurants/car rentals/tour providers and more are hurting. Many have closed permanently.

With so many residents lacking jobs, it is highly unlikely that you, as a newcomer, would find one. In Hawaii it's well-known that local connections are very important when job-hunting.

Subsidized housing is very limited and typically has multiple-year waitlists. Out-of-state tuition is also very high.

When you add all of this up and then consider the additional cost of travel to and from Hawaii, it is a poor choice.

If you have connections in Florida, that is probably your better choice. Sorry I can't offer you more hope but that would be irresponsible right now.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Futuremauian; 03-14-2021 at 06:10 PM..

Old 03-14-2021, 06:39 PM

10 posts, read 9,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
We do have giant spiders but I don't see them every day. Centipedes are more common and cause intense pain when they bite. Amazingly, they can even be found on the upper floors of high rise buildings (along with termites, ants, rats, and flying roaches). Since we don't have a cold winter, there's no annual die-off of insects. I've never been anywhere with more bugs than Hawaii.

I think a bigger concern is that our unemployment rate is extremely high right now. (Perhaps the highest in the nation?) Young people typically work in the service/tourism industry and many of them are now unemployed. Hotels/bars/restaurants/car rentals/tour providers and more are hurting. Many have closed permanently.

With so many residents lacking jobs, it is highly unlikely that you, as a newcomer, would find one. In Hawaii it's well-known that local connections are very important when job-hunting.

Subsidized housing is very limited and typically has multiple-year waitlists. Out-of-state tuition is also very high.

When you add all of this up and then consider the additional cost of travel to and from Hawaii, it is a poor choice.

If you have connections in Florida, that is probably your better choice. Sorry I can't offer you more hope but that would be irresponsible right now.

Best of luck!
Thanks for your honesty! Now that I see this, I think I need to rethink! Thank you!

Old 03-19-2021, 08:48 AM

654 posts, read 630,160 times
http://https://giphy.com/gifs/goldfa...-efpfEgeuKKm1W
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui