Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 10:33 AM

72 posts, read 346,732 times

Advertisements

We are looking into private jet as well but we are around a year or two away from moving. Last time I looked into it, it cost about 30K for a private jet(one way) from the Los Angeles area. Obviously, if you split it with someone it would be 15k and 3 families 10K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 03:22 PM

3 posts, read 15,135 times
Do you still plan on moving to Maui? I assumed it was summer of 2008 is
this correct?
I plan on moving to Maui within the next three months & have two
large dogs coming with us.
I also heard you can go straight to Maui with your pets now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandsunshine View Post
TheMacGuy~

HI! I thought I remembered hearing that they opened a pet quarantine center in Maui and now pets can go there directly and then be released in 4 hrs?

Do you have a number I could call to check on all the protocal for this? I am planning to move next summer so I am just about a year out and want to start to get all my info together.

Thanks!
BTW my dogs each weigh 60-70# which is why in cabin is not an option and I am not putting them in cargo. (too many deaths) so we are renting a private jet. (see my previous post about the costs)

Old 03-22-2008, 03:34 PM

3 posts, read 15,135 times
I would certainly be willing to fly by private jet. I am also from the Boston area, Cambridge, MA. I may relocate within the next couple of months but my husband would stay behind & fly with the two dogs on a private jet. We will do just about anything to get our boys there safely.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:11 PM
MWS

8 posts, read 68,698 times
Ashten, I know it's been a month since you wrote but hopefully, this will help you, and others reading.

I have done an immense amount of research on this topic as I will be moving to the Big Island in May of this year. I currectly live in Arizona but will be driving my cars and dog to Las Angeles (car shipping with Matson and dog flying with United).

First, United Airlines has non-stop flights. My German Shephard will be on one departing Los Angeles traveling non-stop to Kona, Hawaii and is all set for a direct release.

Second, I too was worried about the 85 degree weather restriction. I spoke with Jason in the cargo section of the airlines and he said that in 2007, the airlines never restricted any of the pets due to the weather. He said they flew everyday.

Lastly, my dog is 95 pounds and has a "700" crate which weights roughly 75 pounds. United said that won't be a problem, they can accomadate that size and weight.

I hope this information is helpful. I enjoy hearing peoples experiences, good and bad, so if anyone has anymore, my ears are open.

Aloha!

Last edited by MWS; 03-22-2008 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: Stating my reason for writing.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:06 PM

6 posts, read 25,048 times
This is what the people from the hawaii gov website have to say about entering through Maui instead of Honolulu. They've been very helpful.

"In addition to Hawaii quarantine fees, all paperwork and requests must be made at least a month in advance by mailing in all required documents, quarantine payment, and request to the main station as we do not accept any of this via e-mail. Even regular re-entries require that you mail your documents in as e-mail is used strictly for answering questions.

You also need to be aware of the fact that the private vet you will be hiring to clear your pet is providing a private service, in conjunction with our quarantine program, for a fee set by that vet, which normally runs around $400.00. In addition to that, if the permit is granted, the permit is for one specific flight on one specific date and is non-transferable meaning, that, if your flight gets cancelled and re-booked you have no alternative but to enter via Honolulu . The flight must also be direct into that island as it cannot stop on any other island in the state before arriving at your destination.

We have also seen cases where, even after a permit is granted and all paperwork requirements are met, and we send the airline the permit, the airline has refused to take the pet to the directed island and forced the owner to enter via Honolulu. If that happens, quarantine will not intercede on your behalf as that issue is strictly between passenger and airline. Once people have been made aware of what I have listed above many invariably decide to avoid the extra cost and hassle and enter via Honolulu ." RabiesFree@hawaii.gov

On a different note,about the private plane...
Is anyone a member of the dogtravel company?????

Old 03-23-2008, 11:09 PM

126 posts, read 688,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post

Second, I too was worried about the 85 degree weather restriction. I spoke with Jason in the cargo section of the airlines and he said that in 2007, the airlines never restricted any of the pets due to the weather. He said they flew everyday.

Aloha!
I flew mine out of Kona last July and was so worried about not getting her on that plane, as it runs about 85 every day. No problem though!

They didn't take a debit card though, so make sure you have cash, check, or cc.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:24 PM
MWS

8 posts, read 68,698 times
Thank you, IntotheMystic! That's great info., I would never have guessed. Is your dog large? I am so worried about mine, as she is so precious to me.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:14 AM

126 posts, read 688,746 times
Mine is smaller. Only about 40 pounds. She flew the reverse route from yours, though you are going in May so it may be a bit cooler. I was worried about her for sure, but she was fine! I ran into a lot of hiccups when trying to deal with putting her on Hawaiian out of Hilo. UA Kona was ~no problem~.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:42 PM

23 posts, read 72,802 times
I just started a new thread regarding those of us that are now stuck trying to get pets, flying in the cabin into Hawaii with ATA's bankruptcy. We are moving from AZ to Maui in late May - 2 Cats are all ready with HI AG to go April 26th. I have been looking into Private Charters too and just finishing reading all the great info on this thread. Are any of you still interested in sharing a Charter from AZ or CA to Honolulu or Maui?

Old 04-15-2008, 09:54 AM

6 posts, read 25,048 times
Default flying pets

I still haven't booked any flights and am open to any suggestions or chartered flight ideas..within a reasonable budget.

Here's our rough plan if we need to take a commercial flight..
We have 2 people, 1 dog (55lbs) We plan on driving to California 1st, then a flight to Hawaii from there. (Flying from LA is cheaper than San Fran) We need to fly to either Honolulu (cheaper all around) or Maui (flights tend to be more expensive, plus you have to pay the $400 private vet fee on Maui)

We're trying to leave in September 08. The embargo periods are fickle for commercial jets...but No embargo flying from LAX or SFO to Honolulu, or inter-island flights if the temp is bellow 85. (Thats for Hawaiian airlines...probably the only commercial airline I'd trust to let her fly in cargo)

I still haven't signed up to become a member of the "dogtravel company" but I'd be curious to see what chartered flights they offer. I guess if your considering taking a chartered flight it would be easier to have a company take care of all the technical stuff, as opposed to finding a pilot/plane yourself, ect.. but I've found the customer service department to be rather POOR and thats probably a good indication of their services. Plus, I've heard they have even stricter flying policies for your pet than the Hawaii gov?
----> Onibasu.com :: [BeyondVaccination] Re: Traveling & Vaccinations - Dogtravel Company

If there is anyone out there who is ALREADY a member of the dogtravel company????? and can you shed some light on this? I've researched them online and have found a few "posts" from people claiming to be members..but oddly enough they all quote the same exact info from the website..Hmmmm

Looks like its back to square one..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui