Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 6,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsits View Post
Hi
Its petsits here. I guess you all know that the dog travel trip for 9/8 did not happen as the price was $6400 per head (literally, human and pet are considered heads) so..........none of us could afford it. So far, I am moving out of my house in California this Thursday 7/31 and will be staying with my sister in Oxnard until I can find a way over for my pugs....I am still working on a charter with ANYONE....but the main price seems to be about $61,000 for a plane to Hawaii and it holds 9 passengers. If any of you can afford that , if we split it 9 ways ) that would be about 6,700 per person, but the dogs would not be charged. Yikes...it is a terrible dilemna is it not? I am so frustrated and so sad. I do not want to put my babies in cargo....even tho' I have heard that Continental is very good with their pet safe program, the thought scares me to death.
On behalf of the person with the 3 bulldogs....I think the kids will all be fine as long as they have plenty of shade, air (fan or a ac) I am not worried about my girls once we are there, just trying to get them there.
Ila
Dear Petsits,

I am sorry you are having a difficult time. I know it probably doesn't help, but you are definately not alone. I am frantic, and I not planning on leaving with my father and his other daughter, the furry one, until January. Kelly will clear the 120 days Nov. 15th.

Someone is missing a big bet, by not starting a specialized charter business for pets to Hawaii, with resonably rates. Three days to Oahu, one day to the Big Island, and one day to Maui, and they would probably have more business than they could handle.

Thank you for the info. about Continental. Although, I was hoping to fly direct, S.F. to Kona.

If I come up with anything, I will let you know.

Atleast we are all in this together. This many minds should be able to come up with a viable solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 05:00 PM

32 posts, read 197,941 times
Wow.... I stumbled upon this thread.

We are re-locating to Oahu/Honolulu for Sept 1st and will be bringing out Springer Spaniel with us. Would LOVE to see if anyone is organizing a charter or private jet for the journey.

We are coming from NH, but willing to join a private jet from most anywhere on the mainland. Any way to limit the amount of time our dog would have to spend in cargo will help.

We will be travelling with 4 humans ( 2 adults an infant and a toddler) and 1 pet.

Last edited by Jazz_nh; 07-29-2008 at 05:16 PM..

Old 07-30-2008, 01:13 AM

23 posts, read 72,802 times
Default United did a great job for us in May 2008

Haven't been posting recently as we have been a bit busy here in Maui.

Just wanted to give you some info on United. After 3 weeks trying to work charter flight deals or if we could manage the logistics with Pacific Air we had to bite the bullet and get out of Arizona mid May with our 2 cats. The house was closing and the weather was heating up.

I got some good information from a fellow Phoenician about United and their animal friendly cargo. We had to travel through San Francisco so we were on big enough jets with the special cargo - but United did a great job. A friend of mine was able to check and report that the cats were calm and undistressed during their 3 hour layover in San Francisco. It took 13 hours from Phoenix to Honolulu but everything went very well and I am pleased to report 11 weeks later we are all very happily settled in Maui. I believe United flies into both Maui and Kona from San Francisco and they do direct release on both island through the neighbor island program. We were not able to do this due to the short timeframe we ended up in. But I was told by Maui Humane Society if we could give them 2 weeks notice they could get it arranged. I filed all the papers with Honolulu once the cats were allowed in then we were ready as soon as we could get a flight. Flights are restricted as they can only fly a set number of pets in each. Honolulu Quarantine did a great job too and we had the cats released to us quickly and efficiently so we could put them under the seat on the last flight on Hawaiian from Honolulu to Maui.

I will be pleased to share more details with anyone with questions - it was a terribly stressful time for us all trying to work with out - but as I type this the cats are on Gecko alert one of their favorite evening pastimes.

Last edited by rmm13; 07-30-2008 at 01:14 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-30-2008, 10:11 AM

35 posts, read 183,511 times
Default Get on a boat delivery

i am so sorry to hear that. Since 9/11 everything became difficult for travelling and since katrina [and the war] fuel costs have made it worse. Are there any cruises that allow pets? Or if you don't mind sailing, see if anybody is delivering a boat to hawaii. For the kind of money you're talking about, the owner could pay the crew for the delivery by bringing you. I do know the rules are the same for coming ashore or getting off a plane with an animal. Yacht brokers would be the ones to check with, or maintenance yards. Good luck. Please let us all know how it works out
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsits View Post
no airlines will let any animals on board in the cabin, under the seat (no matter how small) to hawaii. Ata was the only airline that allowed that and they went bankrupt a few months ago.
As far as the charter from dog travel, it is still a go for sept. 8th. Unfortunatey, it is way too expensive for myself and my two puggies. We are still looking for a way over to honolulu from los angeles. They will be ready for direct release after 7/29.
Sure wish we could be on it if anyone is interested, i suggest that you go to the dog travel website and inquire.
Good luck

Old 08-12-2008, 08:29 AM

6 posts, read 25,048 times
Hi There! I could use some help from someone who has gone through this already with a pet flying in cargo! I have all the required paperwork and everything else set up...I just need some help with how you transported your pet and on the locations of pick up and drop off.

I'm flying Hawaiian from LAX to HNL,then HNL to OGG in late September with my 55lb dog who unfortunately has to fly in cargo for the move.

I was told she had to be dropped off 3 hours before my flight at the cargo area in LAX. Was this easy to find? Is it walkable (with maybe a baggage cart for the crate) from the terminal?

Then...once you arrive in HNL and you get off your flight, where is the place you pick up your pet? Is that a seperate building? They say they dont provide transportation, so how did you get your dog back to the terminal? Was it far? Did you have to keep them in the crate? We have a interisland flight to catch 4 hours after we land, but I was told quarintine could take 2 hours, and then she had to be checked back in an hour and a half before the maui flight. I hope this isnt cutting it close...

Thanks for any help!!!

Old 08-12-2008, 11:41 PM

23 posts, read 72,802 times
HI KCrini
Can't comment on LAX - but in Honolulu the Quarantine station is within easy walking distance between the International and Interisland terminal, just down the short street - it wasn't difficult to find and they were very efficient. We were in and out including changing from hard to soft carriers AND disassembling the hard carriers in about 30 minutes. Now there are major restrictions on how many pets can come in with the flight reductions I don't think it is so busy.

Have you considered flying directly to Maui and doing the direct release on the neighbor island program? Details are on the Hawaii AG site. Then you wouldn't have to stop and change planes and re-check etc in Honolulu. We did Honolulu as we had a time crunch and could not give Maui Humane Society the 2 weeks notice they needed to do the paperwork - but I have friends who have done this and it works great. United I believe is the main carrier supporting this and they do a great job for animals, but other like Hawaiian maybe supporting this now it was a new program about a year ago. I have a contact at the Maui Humane Society if you need it.

Hope this helps. All the very best, it will be worth it when you get here we just love it.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:20 AM

6 posts, read 25,048 times
Thanks, I was wondering about that. She'll be in a large crate and I was worried about how I'd move her around.
I didnt fly directly to Maui because of the extra $400 private vet fee. At the time it didnt seem worth it, but now....
Too late, tickets are already purchased
Thanks for the help!

Old 08-13-2008, 07:34 PM

126 posts, read 688,746 times
LAX cargo is a bit seperate from the rest of the airport. Mapquest the address so that you can find it. You will just drive up. You can walk the dog and carry the crate, then put the dog in the crate after they put it on a big dolly.

In HNL they will deliver the dog to quarantine, but you will need a luggage cart to get the crate back to the airport. You cannot take her out to shee shee at the airport, but you could wheel her to the nearby post office and let her out if you have time. 4 hours should be plenty of time.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,542 times
Hi ya'll!
My fiance' and I are looking into relocating to Maui....We have 2 large dogs, and I small one...
What is the deal on these quarentines?

Old 08-14-2008, 08:30 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,457 times
Hawaii's laws for moving pets to the islands are precise and stringently enforced. If you don't know anything about them, you'll want to get familiar as it takes several weeks (or months, depending upon your pets' vaccination status) to meet the criteria. The Department of Agriculture's intro page is here: Animal Quarantine Information — Hawaii Department of Agriculture

You might also want to read all the preceding posts in this thread. There is a lot of information about successes and problems with the quarantine (and quarantine-avoidance) process, and there is good information about airlines and other variables.

There is also a lot of back-and-forth about the process itself, and whether it is "fair" or "necessary." (There are other threads in the forum that you can research, too, using the pull-down "Search" menu at the top right of the page.) That is fine, but kindly be advised that the policy is the law, and it is strictly enforced. I know of no exceptions, no bending of the rules, no "gray areas." Becoming well-informed and getting your proverbial "ducks in a row" is the very best thing you can do for your dogs to avoid quarantine. They're counting on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui