Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 02:29 PM

156 posts, read 805,527 times

Advertisements

Hey!

What is current gun law on Hawaii and specifically on Maui? I have collection of guns. Most of them older historic guns, but they are real guns. It's pretty simple here in PA. I don't even need license to keep or shoot them.

Anybody on this board has any experience with this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

Old 09-29-2008, 03:06 PM

200 posts, read 1,021,613 times
Default gun laws

Maui and Hawaii in general have some of the most ridiculous laws concerning guns and they are only getting worse. You must register all firearms (working, non-working, antique, wall hangers, etc, etc, etc....) with the Maui police within 3 days of arrival on island.

I left most of my firearms behind with family members years ago as I did not want to go through all the trouble of registering every single long gun I own. If you have handguns or revolvers....forget about that!

If you are traveling to a range or hunting you must have the gun in a case with the ammo seperate and in another area of your vehicle. You cannot carry your gun around with you anywhere in your vehicle so don't leave it in the truck in case you are stopped.

Hope that helps

Old 09-30-2008, 05:39 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,421,636 times
Here are the gun laws by state: NRA-ILA :: Gun Laws (http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/ - broken link)

Old 09-30-2008, 06:44 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,058,632 times
I never could understand how a licence could be required to have something the constitution says you have a right to own.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:07 AM

820 posts, read 3,034,299 times
You have the right to own a car, but you still need to have it registered and a license to drive.

Often cities regulate owning a dog - licensed, on leash, etc.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:54 PM

18 posts, read 67,561 times
Having lived in Hawaii for twenty years and now living in PA. for 5+
Prepare for firearm culture shock...

Hawaii gun laws are extremely strict (ridiculous)
For example a C/C permit in Hawaii is basically non-existent

Official Info...

Registration, mandatory, exemptions

Reference: HRS 134-3
Every person arriving in the state who brings or by any other manner causes to be brought into the state a firearm of any description, whether usable or unusable, serviceable or unserviceable, modern or antique, shall register the firearm within 72 hours (three days) after arrival of the person or firearm, whichever arrives later.
Every person who acquires a firearm pursuant to section 134-2 shall register the firearm in the manner prescribed by this section within five days of acquisition.
Registration shall not be required for:
Any device that is designed to fire loose black powder or that is a firearm manufactured before 1899;
Any device not designed to fire or made incapable of being readily restored to a firing condition; or
All unserviceable firearms and destructive devices registered with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms of the United States Department of the Treasury pursuant to Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations.
REGISTRATION PROCESS

After purchase or acquisition of the firearm return to the HPD Firearms Section no later than 5 calendar days with the following.
  1. Valid photo identification.
  2. Your original firearms permit.
  3. The firearm for inspection.
Complete the firearms registration form and sign the firearms registration card.
There is no 14-day waiting period for out of state registration. Once the firearm arrives in the state you have 3 calendar days to bring it, with valid photo identification and proof of citizenship if born outside the United States, to the HPD Firearms Section.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:10 PM

820 posts, read 3,034,299 times
And yet, so low on gun crime.

This is a political hot potato and I usually abstain, but as a FORMER gun owner in California, I'd trade the easy access to guns there for the feeling of less threat here.

Not to say that there isn't gun crime, it's just so low as to be headline news on Maui. Even use of guns by the Maui PD is exceptional.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:46 AM

137 posts, read 255,570 times
I have never even thought about it before and somehow I manage to live a fulfilling life here. It's Hawai'i. What do you want a gun for? This isn't Philly.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:31 AM

156 posts, read 805,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I have never even thought about it before and somehow I manage to live a fulfilling life here. It's Hawai'i. What do you want a gun for? This isn't Philly.
I don't think you need gun to live in Philly.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:34 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
You have the right to own a car, but you still need to have it registered and a license to drive.

Often cities regulate owning a dog - licensed, on leash, etc.

Driving and pet ownership are a privilege and not mentioned in the Constitution. Owning a firearm is a RIGHT and protected by the Constitution. Big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui