Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2008, 05:15 AM

15 posts, read 68,356 times

Advertisements

Hey, Im new to this posting thing so I hope Im doing this right.
I'm planning a trip to Maui for mid May 2009 and already I have so many questions so any advice is much appreciated!

First off, we can't decide between Kihei and Kahului. Which would you suggest? The ferry is closer to Kahului but I would be more open to getting a hotel in Kihei if it was more convenient for our activities (like Haleakala).
My ideal trip is going to the beach A LOT, cheap eateries, absorbing culture, museums, aquariums, shopping places.

Lastly, I love the beach and need help with the best beaches too. I know Big Island has black sand but does Maui have too? Regardless, Id be open to any good beaches.

Any help with any of these questions is MUCh appreciated!
and extra suggestions too,
Thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 07:58 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,457 times
Just based on the accommodations and beaches, I'd say Kihei offers the best variety of places to stay close to the water. Kahului is more of a commercial/industrial kind of town with the port, the airport, big box stores, and warehouses. There are great posters here who live in Kihei and/or stay there often, but while you're waiting, you might want to use the search feature in the top right portion of the page -- there's a ton of information already posted here about places to stay and things to do.

Maui does have a black sand beach, BTW, it's at Waianapanapa State Park, just outside Hana. There are also a couple of red sand beaches. There's a directory of Maui beaches here: Maui Beaches (Note how many are in/near Kihei v. Kahului.)

Old 10-13-2008, 11:47 AM

820 posts, read 3,035,217 times
I think Kihei is probably better for you to get what you describe. Not a lot of good beaches for hanging out in Kahului, just windsurfing. Kihei has cheap food along with pricey.

Jaiko, how long are you staying on Maui? You can do anything here as a day trip, driving over to Hana, up to Lahaina, etc. I think in another thread you mentioned you are going to take the ferry over. If so, pack a light sleeping bag or blankets and consider camping over Hana side for a night or two. That way you can drive there (3+ hours), stopping along the way, hang in Hana, camp, and continue around the other side. You'll end up in upcountry, which is also wonderful, and you can stop at the winery up there.

If you are looking for just casual time, you can also go check out Paia.

Do you surf? Are you bringing over a board or any other activity based equipment?

Old 10-13-2008, 01:16 PM

i plan to stay four nights three days. I was thinking about going to Hana for a day, i heard the drive was about 5 hours and the hotels there are expensive. If i camp where can i camp at?
Im also planning to stay in Kihei now, because a lot of people said theres just more do to. But what kind of activities are there? Is there a strip in Kihei kind of like waikiki?
also, i want to surf, but im VERY beginner, i do enjoy it a lot and want to try it on maui.
from what i hear, lahaina is a good town to see as well, how far is the drive from kihei?
and where exactly is paia located?
everyone has mentioned that town as well.
thank you

Old 10-14-2008, 01:37 PM

36 posts, read 134,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiko View Post
i plan to stay four nights three days. I was thinking about going to Hana for a day, i heard the drive was about 5 hours and the hotels there are expensive. If i camp where can i camp at?
Im also planning to stay in Kihei now, because a lot of people said theres just more do to. But what kind of activities are there? Is there a strip in Kihei kind of like waikiki?
also, i want to surf, but im VERY beginner, i do enjoy it a lot and want to try it on maui.
from what i hear, lahaina is a good town to see as well, how far is the drive from kihei?
and where exactly is paia located?
everyone has mentioned that town as well.
thank you
Hana will take at least 5 hours considering you'll want to stop and take pictures along the way. There's a CD you can buy that turns the drive into a guided tour. It's worth it. Camping is available at Waianapanapa State Park, just as you come into Hana. If you camp there you will want to have bug repellant because insects come with the climate on that side of the island. There's a nice black sand beach there as well. Paia is sort of the first stop on the road to Hana because it's the last place to get gas and food on the way there. It's also a nice place to walk around and have lunch after a morning drive up Haleakala so save it for that day if you're planning a trip up the volcano. Cove park, in Kihei, is a great place for beginner surfers. Board rentals and lessons are offered by a few places nearby. Lahaina is the original whaling port, kind of touristy but really nice if you like art galleries. There are lot's of them and Friday evening is "art night" where you can enjoy a glass of wine while looking at local and non local paintings and prints with occasional appearance by the artists themselves. Have fun!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:17 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,217 times
Ditto to everything MCBOB said.

Definitely pick up food in Paia on your way to Hana. There's only one store & one restaurant (I think). So fill your cooler in Paia at Mana Foods (natural food grocery) or at any of the nice little eateries there.

In Kihei, get out on the ocean to try paddle boarding before 11am; that's when the wind hits shore and the waves get bigger. You want a calm ocean for paddling. Then you can break for lunch and go back to try surfing.

Where is Paia? If you look at a map of Maui, she looks like the head & bust of a woman. Kahului is on the back of her neck, and Paia is just a bit further down her back, like where a shirt tag would hit. Hana is down at the small of her back. Kihei is on her chest. Maalaea Harbor is right at the front of her throat. Kaalapali & Lahaina are up on her forehead.

There is no place like Waikiki anywhere on Maui. It's VERY much smaller and quieter here. Kihei has one main street, South Kihei Road, that runs next to the ocean. Along it are most of the condos & restaurants & stores. Some are up the side streets, but really you'll find most things for your visit by driving down SKR.

If you really want to have a nice journey, take the early morning ferry over to Lanai'i, and camp one night over there. You can't take your car, but you can take a rolling cooler and a bunch of gear. There's a campground right near the ferry landing over there. You can get a permit online, I think. It has bathrooms & beach shower (not heated, but no need). It's right next to a beautiful cove with dolphins. Great snokeling. There's also a Four Seasons hotel right next door, and you can get some of their free lemonade and cold water and sunscreen from their beach stand. Even go up to the gift shop if you forgot a drink or toothpaste or to get a cup of coffee and breakfast. Spend one night and ferry home on the 2nd day evening ferry. Ferry leaves from Maalaea Harbor (closer to Kihei), or from Lahaina, about an hour ride.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:02 AM

thanks for all the really good advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui