Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2008, 01:50 PM

156 posts, read 805,755 times

Advertisements

Hey Maui residents!

I have couple questions regarding Upcountry. Is Makawao, Pukalani area much cooler, dryer then North Shore (Kahului, Paia, Haiku)? Is it possible to live there without AC? Are there any negative points of living upcountry except remoteness?
How about Wailuku Heights, is it similar climate wise to Upcountry? WH looks much nicer then upcountry, also located more convenient.

Thanks,

Andrew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 03:59 PM

26 posts, read 108,215 times
Hi Andrew,
I live in Pukalani and my son lives in Makawao. I find that I don't need an AC and can handle the summer just fine with a fan but my son's place needs an AC. I don't really have a problem with remoteness because we have two grocery stores, gas station, two movie rental places, post offices and even a few restaurants. Anything else I need is within a 20 minute drive unless if it's in Hana or Lahaina, lol. Oh, the negative part so far that I can see is not as much rain. Other than that, I absolutely love it upcountry.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:30 PM

90 posts, read 468,700 times
Brenmaststen, do you have to irrigate your yard there? Does it stay green around you if rainfall is normal patterns? Just curious --

Old 12-12-2008, 05:14 PM
DBM

92 posts, read 495,015 times
MadRussion,

Yes, it's cooler Upcountry than on the Northshore, and particularly cooler than Kahului -- which is really part of Central Maui, not the Northshore. It's also generally drier Upcountry than on the Northshore, but conditions change really quickly as you move from Pukalani to Makawao and then go around the corner towards upper Haiku. In the space of somewhere around 3-4 miles, yearly rainfall totals go from 20 inches to more than 50 inches. It's pretty amazing to see a rainfall map for that area, particularly since the topographical changes aren't that dramatic. You can also see the difference just driving from Pukalani into and through Makawao. Once you get to the Kula side of Pukalani, it's pretty dry unless you get above 4000 feet, where there is a wet zone. None of these climate zones are bad, but they are different and if you are particular about your climate, you should look into it.

Wailuku Heights is not as cool as Upcountry, but it's cooler than Kahului and the lower parts of Wailuku. The coolness is partly because of elevation, but mainly because Wailuku Heights is usually shaded by the canopy of clouds that form against the West Maui Mountains. Here again, conditions change fast. The top few blocks of Wailuku Heights are often in that canopy of clouds and are much wetter than the lower homes. If mold bothers you, look lower.

If you work in Kahului or Wailuku, Wailuku Heights is much more convenient. As for nicer -- I think Upcountry is prettier, but I think you're getting into personal preferences there.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:29 PM

26 posts, read 108,215 times
yes, there is an irrigation system in the yard that goes off twice a week. I wonder if that's enough sometimes..

Old 12-17-2008, 09:52 AM

Thank you guys! You give me very valuable info!
BTW: Is upcountry residents MUST buy hurricane insurance too?

Old 12-22-2008, 06:14 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRussian View Post
BTW: Is upcountry residents MUST buy hurricane insurance too?
I think the answer to that question depends more on the requirements of your mortgage holder than on where the house is.

If you have a choice, I think you would be very foolish to pass it up. Our vacation rental house on Kauai went through Iniki, and had to be completly rebuilt.

Hank

Old 01-08-2009, 05:43 PM

Is there any other "special" type of insurances required on HI? Like earthquake insurance?
Is there anywhere data on average homeowners insurance cost?

Old 01-10-2009, 02:02 PM

806 posts, read 2,341,411 times
I am looking into those same areas, so MAHALO for the information!!
I had no idea that just 4 miles over, the weather could be so much different!!
I need to check out that rainfall map!
I live on the Olympic Peninsula (WA) and we are having major rain this month, blah.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui