Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 01:28 AM

20 posts, read 102,926 times

Advertisements

I am looking at moving my family to Maui. I have tried to research schools but the Maui High School website seems inaccessable to me (whether it is down or just because I am in Canada I do not know). Can someone tell me a bit about the HS? My daughter would be entering as a Freshman.

Also, we are looking at purchasing a condo. There are some very inexpensive ones called Harbor Lights, and there are MANY of them for sale. Is this a bad area or just something that got hit with one person owned them all and went bankrupt (they almost all seem to be short-sale or bank owned)? I never expected to see a condo for 50K but I saw just that in my seaching, but also saw they go up to 180K so I wondered. I expected to pay around 250K-350K for a decent 2 bedroom, where I am not afraid what my daughter is being exposed to.

One last thing, I keep hearing that it is crazy expensive to live in Hawaii, but I have checked grocery ads, car prices, utility costs, cable and internet prices. The only thing that looks to be high compared to where I am now is rent. Is there something I am missing. Everything else that I could find is VERY close to the same. The grocery ads I looked at were at Star Markets, is that one of the cheapest stores?

I firmly believe that as a nurse I will not have trouble finding work (I will find work before we go once I am done with school), but how is the job market for others? My husband works in radio advertising, and is willing to change fields, he is also a web designer and webmaster. How difficult will it be for him to find work?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 11:44 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,457 times
Here are some specific answers that may help you, but there are also lots of insightful prior posts that you can find by using the "Search" feature at the to

Last edited by whynot?; 01-07-2009 at 11:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui