Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 03:26 AM

1 posts, read 6,718 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a single guy from England and I am wanting in the next five years to live and work in Maui / Hawaii. I have a degree plus ten years work experience, I am currently at Management level. All my experience as been gathered from the IT Industry and Food Manufacturing Industry. I have experience in all aspects of IT plus Frozen chilled Meat production and Mayonaise production.

Can anybody help, I have no idea where to start ? I have visited Maui on holiday and I have fallen in love with the place. I have no family so I have no extra baggage.

I would appreciate any advice.

Last edited by 7th generation; 05-06-2009 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: please do not post your e mail addy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 12:36 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,912,019 times
Well, you could always keep visiting Maui until you met a wonderful female resident of Maui and then marry her. That might solve your visa/work permit paperwork problems. There is still the lack of jobs in your areas of experience, though. In five years the job situation should have improved but at the moment hotel occupancy is at a twenty two year low and that's the main economic engine of the islands these days so everyone is hurting.

I don't know about the IT jobs, but there aren't really any food manufacturing jobs in the entire state. There is some food processing, but for the food manufacturing just about everything has to be shipped in, the land to put the manufactury on is expensive and labor is expensive so most products are made elsewhere and shipped in. There aren't any more commercial egg farms in the state so all eggs for mayonnaise would have to be shipped in. No real oil production in the state, unless you started something to squish oil out of coconuts perhaps, so that would have to be shipped in. Perhaps you could make a farm to get the ingredients to make mayonnaise? Oil, egg, cayenne pepper, ground mustard seed and a bit of sugar? A Maui made Mayo farm might work especially if it were organic and made of real food instead of bizarre chemical compounds.

I don't know if Maui has a slaughterhouse or not, there is at least one on Oahu and two on the Big Island. There are some folks who make sausage so there may be a bit of work in a meat shop of some sort.

Visit Maui a few more times and try to do it as if you lived there. It is a whole lot different when you have to get up to go somewhere and work two jobs to make ends meet than it is to get up in the morning and consider whether to go down to the dining room or have room service. Maui is a great vacation spot but it's pretty tough to live there. There will be a lot of changes from what you are used to.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:39 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,578,623 times
lol thats what I want to do in Tahiti but my wife wont let me......

Old 05-06-2009, 12:56 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,912,019 times
You want to start a mayonnaise farm in Tahiti? That sounds like an interesting ambition!

Old 05-06-2009, 01:20 PM

18,325 posts, read 18,935,027 times
my guess is that you would have to find work in another field. I would look at our newspaper on line mauinews.com keep in mind right now there is hardly anything. save as much money as you can, rent a furnished place when you get here. oahu might have more opportunites just becuase it is a bigger place. good luck

Old 05-06-2009, 01:48 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,578,623 times
Lol ya I want my mayonnaise !

I just want to buy a small piece of land there but you have to marrie a native to bu there hence my wife's firm no.
Bu I keep trying

Old 05-08-2009, 12:15 PM

73 posts, read 314,792 times
You might want to try to get a job in Oahu first since it's be rather tough to get a job in Maui. You may have a better chance getting an IT job in Oahu and then, you can get a more permanent work visa or green card through the job.

With that, you can visit Maui every weekend. Save up all your paychecks (unless you're a millionaire already) and then, once you get your green card, you can one day move or retire in Maui for good. That can be a way. It's going to be a process.

If you can't find a job in Oahu, you might have to find an IT job in California. Then, get your green card, and then move to Maui.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,522 times
Default Maui Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydarfield View Post
Hi, I am a single guy from England and I am wanting in the next five years to live and work in Maui / Hawaii. I have a degree plus ten years work experience, I am currently at Management level. All my experience as been gathered from the IT Industry and Food Manufacturing Industry. I have experience in all aspects of IT plus Frozen chilled Meat production and Mayonaise production.

Can anybody help, I have no idea where to start ? I have visited Maui on holiday and I have fallen in love with the place. I have no family so I have no extra baggage.

I would appreciate any advice.
Well, Mr. Single Guy from England...you could always marry me. :-) I'm a single professional, not in the IT industry, but should be...and like you - no kids (a.k.a. baggage) either. I haven't been to Maui but I know if I went I'd never want to come home. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui