U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:40 PM

19 posts, read 91,247 times

Advertisements

I have been to their websites and read reviews etc, and basically learned what I can by research. But, I am hopeful that someone who lives near, attended or have children who attend one of these schools can be of help. When we move we will have a high school student in the house, and I want to choose the best school I can for her future. I haven't heard great things about the education system in Hawaii, but she is still going to have to attend school. So can anyone offer some insight, so when we rent a place we know where to look as far as school districts go. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 08:06 PM

8 posts, read 23,379 times
Default suggestion for elementary schools needed

I just wanted to add a post to the above one. We are moving to Maui in July and looking for a decent elementary school. We like the area of Kihei, Kahului or upcountry to live. We don't like the Lahaina side. I have looked on greatschools.com but only get some stats. Wondering if there are parents with experience that you would like to share on schools and neighborhoods to rent in?. Private schools are not in our budget. So public school advice would be much appreicaited.
mahalo

Old 06-10-2009, 08:15 PM

15,909 posts, read 16,927,583 times
I don't have kids so I can't say for sure. baldwin and maui high are in an area where there would be a heavy mix of local kids as they are on the kahului side. if kihei charter is public I would think there would be more haole kids attending.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:50 AM

I believe it is public, but they still only take a certain number of kids. So I guess picky public would be the word. Although we did talk about sending her to Hawaii Prep on the Big Island. I went to boarding school for HS, and think it would be great to send her to one, but the cost is crazy high - in the neighborhood of 40K per year, and I just don't believe that will be in our budget.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:26 AM

200 posts, read 985,967 times
Default Schools/life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeginSchool View Post
I have been to their websites and read reviews etc, and basically learned what I can by research. But, I am hopeful that someone who lives near, attended or have children who attend one of these schools can be of help. When we move we will have a high school student in the house, and I want to choose the best school I can for her future. I haven't heard great things about the education system in Hawaii, but she is still going to have to attend school. So can anyone offer some insight, so when we rent a place we know where to look as far as school districts go. Thanks!
-Maui high has more fights than Baldwin. Kihei Charter is "safe" but many of the kids do not pass or care about school. Still Kihei Charter is the best choice of the 3. The other 2 schools are dangerous on many different levels. The problem is that Kihei Charter is a lottery and you really have to hurry and jump through hoops to even have a chance at getting your child in. It is simply luck of the draw. -Our high school student is at Kihei Charter and is doing well. -With little support from the staff. Unless you NEED to move to Maui you may want to reconsider.

It is a complete culture shock and not in a good way. The beaches are nice, the people are nice but personal hygiene is not a big factor nor is education or health care. Most kids have few if any rules and at least half of the parents here smoke pot with their own kids. We are moving. Good luck.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:09 PM

Ok what about the private schools such as Seabury Hall and Saint Anthony Jr Sr school? I couldn't even find tuition for Saint Anthony on their website.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:45 PM

I had a client with 2 children at seabury and they seemed to be happy with it. it has a good reputaion and is well thought of. I have heard good things about st. anthony too, it is a catholic school.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:55 PM

200 posts, read 985,967 times
Default private

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeginSchool View Post
Ok what about the private schools such as Seabury Hall and Saint Anthony Jr Sr school? I couldn't even find tuition for Saint Anthony on their website.

The private schools here are basically public schools anywhere else in the country. We looked into Seabury but the tuition is outrageous plus it is located in Makawao which is sooo far from anywhere you actually want to live. Approx 45-60 minutes from Kihei, well over an hour from Lahaina. Unless you want to move to Maui and NOT live near the beach, this school would be hard to go back and forth to during the day. As far as the other private schools go......I know from research these schools are not very good. We spent months researching and visiting all the schools to figure out which one is best.....Kihei Charter wins hands down. Another down side to Kihei Charter is they have no sports program. So the kids that want to play sports have to go to Maui High to play which defeats the purpose of trying to keep them away from that school and influence.

We have been living on and off of Hawaii for 15 years. We love it. The weather, the beaches, the people (some of them) , and the natural beauty.....but for us our children's future needs to come first. They will not be prepared for college and the real world if we stayed here and allowed them to go through the school system here. It consistently ranks in the bottom of all the states for education and we can tell you first hand that this is true based on our experience. Also, these schools are not even accredited which means that decent colleges won't even consider these kids because of where they went to school.

Good luck

Old 06-11-2009, 01:10 PM

Well that is certainly a lot to think about. As I said we did consider boarding school for her, because I went to boarding school and learned first hand how great of an experience it is. Maybe it is best to wait until after she has finished school, although to be fair I didn't think the cost of Seabury Hall was that bad. As for sports and activities my daughter does gymnastics and karate, so I doubt they are at the school anyway.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:14 PM

we moved here after my daughter was out of school and no longer living with us because of the education concerns. don't mean to discourage you but it can be hard here for haole children. sometimes they are picked on just because they are an outsider. only you know your child's personality and know how she would handle the added pressure of this on to the regular problems a teenage girl faces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui