Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 05:25 PM

19 posts, read 173,894 times

Advertisements

We have NEVER been to Hawaii. Information I've seen on the web doesn't look as nice as we'd like. My husband's job is (mandatory) transferring him in June to the research lab on Maui for at least 3 years. We have a two-year old, an 8th grader and 11th grader. Which schools are better on Maui for each? What area should we look to live in that's culturally diverse? We are interested in renting.We are African American. What is it like to "live" in Hawaii as opposed to "visit."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 07:18 PM

Default A Call For Help. Can Anyone Give Info????

I posted my question and I am desperately looking for answers about people with experience at any of the high schools and / or intermediate schools on Maui. We are moving there in June and need an insiders scoop.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:45 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,224,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsimmons1988 View Post
We have NEVER been to Hawaii. Information I've seen on the web doesn't look as nice as we'd like. My husband's job is (mandatory) transferring him in June to the research lab on Maui for at least 3 years. We have a two-year old, an 8th grader and 11th grader. Which schools are better on Maui for each? What area should we look to live in that's culturally diverse? We are interested in renting.We are African American. What is it like to "live" in Hawaii as opposed to "visit."
What's your budget like and do you want to send your kids to public or private schools?

Old 04-26-2007, 03:06 PM

86 posts, read 372,299 times
The only people I've talked to are the ones that I interviewed with... my husband and I will both be teaching at Baldwin High School this fall. The principal had great things to say (of course), and it sounds like she is really trying to step things up a notch... but do keep in mind, we were interviewing for positions, so we got to hear all the good things they are trying to do with the school. I do know of at least one English teacher and one math teacher who will be wonderful

Old 05-01-2007, 06:51 PM

Default Reply to questions asked

Our budget will be limited because we will still be carrying a mortgage from the mainland. Private school may not be an option. I've checked and it is expensive.

To the future Baldwin High teachers, I have spoken to the principal about programs and classes offered at Baldwin. My daughter will probably attend either Baldwin or King K as an 11th grader. Which grades are you and your husband planning to teach?

Also, have you heard anything about King K High School. The family we are replacing have children that attend.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:59 PM

86 posts, read 372,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsimmons1988 View Post
Which grades are you and your husband planning to teach?

Also, have you heard anything about King K High School.
We won't find out until June what we will be teaching. They are still working on the schedule for next year. I really don't know anything about King K. The two schools we were looking at were Baldwin and Maui High.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:32 AM

62 posts, read 281,176 times
Smile Hi from Maui

We live in Kihei. We have 6 kids ages 1, 2, 3, 8, 10, and 14. Currently we homeschool. But we have many years of the public school system under our belts. As far as Public High Schools go they all struggle. Maui High probably has better academics, especially is the areas of Math and Science. Baldwin's campus is more run down but they have a wonderful theater program. If you live Upcountry then you would be zoned for Kekaulike. I think it's overall a decent school. My neice graduated from there with no real complaints. But she was the first graduating class.
In Kihei you have the Kihei Charter High. They are a small charter school. They have a good graduation rate, but do not have MANY of the "traditional" high school programs. But good teachers and a good option if your child needs something different. The charter school is opening a new Junior high at the Maui Research and development park that will be math and science based. I cannot recommend a single PUBLIC Middle school on Maui. Most have really bad reputations. AS far as elementary schools there are ones that are better than others......
We enjoy homeschooling but are considering movimg to another state so our 14 yr old will have better school options.......

Aloha

Old 05-08-2007, 09:00 PM

Thanks for your personal insight. We have tossed around the idea of homeschooling our 8th grader. We checked into the charter school's K-8 program which offers a partial homeschool/public program. Apparently, students study at home with a parent most of the week. They then go in to the school for labs, tests, and other activites a few hours twice per week. It seems that it may offer the best of both worlds. I am at the point that I will have to visit in person to see exactly what is entailed.

Has anyone heard anything about a small christian school in Kahului? It is called the Ka'ahumanu Hou Christian School. I was wondering if you knew of someone who has or is attending. What do they think about the school?

Old 05-28-2007, 02:42 PM

4 posts, read 12,232 times
What about any of the private schools (for middle school and high)? Does anyone know anything about Maui Prep Academy in Lahaina?

Old 05-28-2007, 05:25 PM

5 posts, read 25,594 times
Maui Prep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui