Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 07:55 PM

2 posts, read 8,783 times

Advertisements

To all:

I'm a 28 year old single male seriously considering moving to Maui. I've been there twice in the past two years for extended visits to hang with a friend I grew up with. Ever since the first time I visited in '07 I've obsessed about the Valley Isle and want to give living there a shot....atleast for 6 mos to a year-kind of like an extended vacation and then see if anything more permanent comes up. I love the culture and the activities (I'm from FL so pretty similar but alot more awesome!)I've got a Bachelor's Degree in Business and another in a healthcare specialty, but with one hospital there, I already know its unlikely a position in my field would open up. I've met and networked with about 15 people during my time there, and I know that jobs are hard to come by, but my question is..would I atleast be able to find something? I'd be able to move with atleast $30,000. I'd be happy with something that would just pay rent and even a little more...Current/past residents please chime in with your experiences and advice. Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 08:10 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,014,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhurl View Post
To all:

I'm a 28 year old single male seriously considering moving to Maui. I've been there twice in the past two years for extended visits to hang with a friend I grew up with. Ever since the first time I visited in '07 I've obsessed about the Valley Isle and want to give living there a shot....atleast for 6 mos to a year-kind of like an extended vacation and then see if anything more permanent comes up. I love the culture and the activities (I'm from FL so pretty similar but alot more awesome!)I've got a Bachelor's Degree in Business and another in a healthcare specialty, but with one hospital there, I already know its unlikely a position in my field would open up. I've met and networked with about 15 people during my time there, and I know that jobs are hard to come by, but my question is..would I atleast be able to find something? I'd be able to move with atleast $30,000. I'd be happy with something that would just pay rent and even a little more...Current/past residents please chime in with your experiences and advice. Mahalo!
Here is the local newspaper; I believe there are 8 adds for jobs; not a lot.

Mauinews.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Visitor's Information - The Maui News

You make the call...

Old 11-19-2009, 08:45 PM

18,325 posts, read 18,903,953 times
if you can wait a bit longer till the economy picks up you would have a better chance. I think bringing with you as much money as possible is the one thing that will buy you time until you get settled. does your friend have any opportunities for you? there is not much available now but sometimes if you know someone, who knows someone you might just find something. good luck

Old 11-19-2009, 09:01 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,879,836 times
Almost every thread skirts this, but if you've been here and kind of see how things work, and arrive without expecting it to be Eden, if you're willing to fit in and do what you need to do to enjoy your time here -- even if it's not permanent, and even if it's not what you want to do forever -- you're willing to work hard, to be open to new ideas and new ways of seeing things, I think it almost always pays off in the long run. Even if it means the experience teaches you that living on an island in the middle of the vast Pacific is not for you.

I worry more about people who need/want to escape, who uproot children from familiar surroundings, schools and friends, and who come thinking they can replicate their mainland employment somehow.

You're only young once, and a spirit of adventure (with some sense of responsibility) is not something I care to put down.

Best of luck.

Last edited by whynot?; 11-19-2009 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: clarification/typos

Old 11-20-2009, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 8,783 times
Thank you all for the responses! I would not attempt to move until April or May till I wrapped up business and personal things here in FL. When I was there, I paid close attention to lifestyles in respect to the working environment, so I know it's unwise to come there and immediately find a job that compares to the stereotypical one here on the mainland-that's why I'd be looking to stick it out for no more than a year. I'm basically looking for a fresh start, but more or less looking to clear my head on Maui, then move back to the mainland after that-I feel its a good time to be adventurous now since it gets harder as you get older, and I'd like to enjoy what little of my twenties I have left!

Old 01-03-2010, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,281 times
I am 46 and moving to maui in feb/2010. I am looking for work and afordable room. I have been a developer for the past twenty years and we all know where that trade is at today. So I am very open to other trades and hopefully something plesant. I could use some real input and networking from some one who is well connected

Old 01-03-2010, 03:04 PM

155 posts, read 542,930 times
James:
I would suggest you take time and start reading the last 3 months of threads. Jobs are REALLY hard to find, even for people who have lived here for years.

Read threads about... many employers don't want to hire & train people who are just gonna leave in 3 months. It will give you some insight. Lisa ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui