Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 09:42 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,529,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Miata's are ok.

Miata's with LS3'S are better...
Then your missing the entire point of the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2020, 11:27 AM

13,646 posts, read 9,706,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Not necessarily. The 1.6/1.8 in the NA Miata is a heavy engine for its displacement. A properly done LS swap is not a substantial weight gain, the key point being "properly".

I can simultaneously praise my semi-stock Miata for its nimble manners and iconoclastic rebellion against the modern world of SUVs and rolling supercomputers, while also pining for more power (and especially for more torque).

Old 08-01-2020, 11:59 AM

5,453 posts, read 6,044,216 times
Funny how regardless of what car an enthusiast has, he/she always wants a bit more power.
Well, until you don't.

LS motor fully dressed 480 lbs
Miata 4 banger fully dressed 290 lbs.

Old 08-01-2020, 12:21 PM

4,624 posts, read 4,891,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
They're the modern day version of the MGB--except without English electrics.
More like a modern Lotus Elan, without the English electrics and Lotus work ethic

Old 08-01-2020, 12:27 PM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
An NB crosses my mind now and then, but there’s no way I can get away with anything as small as a Miata. My Civic coupe barely cuts it for being big enough.

Old 08-01-2020, 12:50 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,706,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Funny how regardless of what car an enthusiast has, he/she always wants a bit more power.
Well, until you don't.

LS motor fully dressed 480 lbs
Miata 4 banger fully dressed 290 lbs.
Not the place to debate this, but those numbers are... disputed. See Miata.net or other sources.

The main source of weight-gain in the LS swap is in the transmission, if a T-56 is used. The total weight gain is on the order of adding a passenger and a full tank of gas. That is noticeable, but not enough to declare the character of the original car to have been ruined.

The bane of such swaps is shoddy workmanship, inadequate engineering, or bad components. This unfortunately is all too common, which is why purists - who declare swaps of any engine into any vehicle, to be a defilement - do have a valid point.

Towards that point, I drove a Mustang 5.0-swapped NA Miata some years ago. It was oddly inept in every regard, feeling both heavier AND (if that were possible!) sluggish in a straight-line. There are decidedly many ways to fail. And no, this isn't meant as a Ford-Chevy debate.... but rather, as an acknowledgment that good workmanship and engineering, are nontrivial challenges.

Old 08-01-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Not the place to debate this, but those numbers are... disputed. See Miata.net or other sources.

The main source of weight-gain in the LS swap is in the transmission, if a T-56 is used. The total weight gain is on the order of adding a passenger and a full tank of gas. That is noticeable, but not enough to declare the character of the original car to have been ruined.

The bane of such swaps is shoddy workmanship, inadequate engineering, or bad components. This unfortunately is all too common, which is why purists - who declare swaps of any engine into any vehicle, to be a defilement - do have a valid point.

Towards that point, I drove a Mustang 5.0-swapped NA Miata some years ago. It was oddly inept in every regard, feeling both heavier AND (if that were possible!) sluggish in a straight-line. There are decidedly many ways to fail. And no, this isn't meant as a Ford-Chevy debate.... but rather, as an acknowledgment that good workmanship and engineering, are nontrivial challenges.
To be honest with you, I didn't think 190 lbs was much to worry about for the HP and torque gain.

Hell I'm just a cheeseburger and fries under 200 most times myself.

Old 08-01-2020, 01:16 PM

I do prefer non-engine swap vehicles. The newest Miatas run 0-60 times that are quite respectable with that little 4 banger.

Of all the two-seaters I've owned (everything from an 850cc Austin Healey to a Z06), the most fun and drivable car I ever owned was one of the ones on the small HP and torque side of the pile. Crappy 0-60 times but went around corners like a roller skate. No scrubbing off speed, just fly into the corner and twist the steering wheel a bit with your foot jammed into the floorboard.

Old 08-28-2020, 04:28 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,827,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Well, somebody's missing the entire point of the car.

Point & shoot, it's not. It's all about inertia and carrying corner speed. You can carry the same corner speed with an LS3, as you can with the stock lump. But, with an LS3, it's more of a challenge between the turns...

Unless, of course, it's beyond your abilities...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda