Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 06:07 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times

Advertisements

Oops. Or perhaps, this was goal?

"Mazda has reported its sale numbers for July, which exhibit an overall decline compared to a year ago. What’s even worse, Mazda sold less MX-30 EVs than the number of seats some people have at their dinner tables. As a compliance EV with dozens upon dozens of better options available, the MX-30 is becoming a prime example of how negligible compliance EVs are in the growing market."

https://electrek.co/2022/08/08/mazda-mx-30-sales/

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 08-08-2022 at 07:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 08:41 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Oops. Or perhaps, this was goal?
Mazda sales are completely collapsing this year. So far they are headed for under 250,000 vehicles sold with half of them being the CX-5.
  • 250,426 2011
  • 302,701 2012
  • 283,945 2013
  • 305,801 2014
  • 319,185 2015
  • 297,315 2016
  • 289,469 2017
  • 300,325 2018
  • 278,550 2019
  • 279,076 2020
  • 328,237 2021

There was not one single review of the MX-30 that said it would be a success.

My working theory is that Japanese vehicles were a huge succes in America in the 70s-90s because they had developed a whole culture and manufacturing base to build tiny gasoline cars. The US had no need of them until after OPEC crisis of October 1973. So the Japanese built what they knew.

Japan has very little electric energy production compared to the US. They produce a third less on a per person basis. Since their nuclear industry was devestated after the 2011 disaster at Fukishimi, the electricity they do generate is fairly dirty. May be Japan is going to have to conced EV success to Hyundai/Kia.

Old 08-09-2022, 06:29 PM

The MX-30 is a crappy EV - at least powertrain-wise. Per the linked article, it has a 35.5 kWh battery pack. It does 0-60 in 9 seconds. It has a 100-mile range rating. I mean, in 2022 those specs are sad. It's pretty inexpensive for an EV, but so are the Bolt and the Leaf and you get a lot more car with those.

They're calling it "a compliance car" - I am not real familiar with the term, but it seems to imply that the company is not developing it with the goal of having something competitive that will sell a lot of units, they are only developing it to have something "green" in their lineup. That may well be exactly correct. It still doesn't sound like a great idea, to spend money developing a lackluster car and then have the buying public see that and say "that's a Mazda". But I am not an auto exec. That's why they make the big bucks I guess.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:16 PM

• The 2023 Mini Cooper SE (Mini is owned by BMW) has $29,900 base price and $850 destination charge are both unchanged for 2023. The Mini SE continues to be eligible for the $7,500 federal EV tax credit, provided those claiming it have at least that much tax liability. Battery is 32.64 kWh 350 V lithium-ion.
  • The 2022 Mazda MX-30 EV has an MSRP from $33,470. Battery is 35.5 kWh 355 V lithium-ion battery.
  • The standard 2023 Nissan LEAF has an MSRP from $27,800. Battery is 40 kWh 360 V lithium-ion battery.

Quote:
They're calling it "a compliance car" - I am not real familiar with the term, but it seems to imply that the company is not developing it with the goal of having something competitive that will sell a lot of units, they are only developing it to have something "green" in their lineup.
The automaker does not just want something "green" just to show off to the public, a compliance vehicle is built to meet California regulations for zero-emission vehicles. They usually only have to sell a minimal number to show that they are complying with the regulations. Normally, they have limited availability such as California and the 11 states that legally follow California's regulations.

While the phrase "compliance car" is slang there is no formal way to differentiate a compliance car from a commercial car. The Mini Cooper is marketed more as a fun second car to people who probably also own a BMW, but who want something to use in the city. Mazda at the very least should have matched the MSRP of the Mini Cooper SE if not the Nissan LEAF to show they had some minimal intention of being competitive.

Old 08-10-2022, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
  • The 2023 Mini Cooper SE (Mini is owned by BMW) has $29,900 base price and $850 destination charge are both unchanged for 2023. The Mini SE continues to be eligible for the $7,500 federal EV tax credit, provided those claiming it have at least that much tax liability. Battery is 32.64 kWh 350 V lithium-ion.
  • The 2022 Mazda MX-30 EV has an MSRP from $33,470. Battery is 35.5 kWh 355 V lithium-ion battery.
  • The standard 2023 Nissan LEAF has an MSRP from $27,800. Battery is 40 kWh 360 V lithium-ion battery.

The automaker does not just want something "green" just to show off to the public, a compliance vehicle is built to meet California regulations for zero-emission vehicles. They usually only have to sell a minimal number to show that they are complying with the regulations. Normally, they have limited availability such as California and the 11 states that legally follow California's regulations.

While the phrase "compliance car" is slang there is no formal way to differentiate a compliance car from a commercial car. The Mini Cooper is marketed more as a fun second car to people who probably also own a BMW, but who want something to use in the city. Mazda at the very least should have matched the MSRP of the Mini Cooper SE if not the Nissan LEAF to show they had some minimal intention of being competitive.
I wasn't saying it was "just to show off to the public". They only sold 8 units in July, 8. The Leaf is available with two battery sizes, and even the similarly sized 40kWh battery is rated for 149 miles of range, 50% more - the MX-30 must also be remarkably inefficient. And the larger 60kWh battery is rated for 212 miles of range in the Leaf - more than twice what the MX-30 does. The MX-30 is a brand new model. Why do things so poorly? This is the opposite of a halo car, and can't help their image.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 08-10-2022 at 03:26 AM..

Old 08-10-2022, 05:46 AM

Quote:
The MX-30 is a brand new model. Why do things so poorly? This is the opposite of a halo car, and can't help their image.
Practically every car reviewer asked the same question, and I don't think anyone knows the true answer.

The Nissan LEAF was introduced in December 2010. It's difficult to keep track with all the new EVs coming out from Europe, the US, Korea, and even Vietnam, but the MX-30 is the only EV from a Japanese automaker other than the LEAF in 2022. Maybe Mazda felt that they would get some kudos for beating Toyota, Honda, Subaru, and Mitsubushi by introducing a BEV first. They even beat the Nissan Ariya.

You are hardly the first person to suggest that it doesn't matter if you are first, if your model is so deficient. The only answer that I can think of is that CARB gives huge points for just having an EV, no matter how poor the sales numbers are.

Old 08-10-2022, 06:06 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Mazda basically screwed the pooch by not investing in EVs earlier though this is pretty much due to Toyota which strongly influences the Japanese auto industry and Mazda and Subaru in particular as it has its hands in these companies. It's going to be a hard slog for Mazda to recover as it's a bit late to be doing only compliance cars while most automakers have actually competitive vehicles that they're cutting their teeth on.

Old 08-10-2022, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Mazda basically screwed the pooch by not investing in EVs earlier though this is pretty much due to Toyota which strongly influences the Japanese auto industry and Mazda and Subaru in particular as it has its hands in these companies. It's going to be a hard slog for Mazda to recover as it's a bit late to be doing only compliance cars while most automakers have actually competitive vehicles that they're cutting their teeth on.
I am not anti-Mazda - it's just that this thing really stands out for the wrong reasons and that seemed noteworthy. I mean - when Subaru and Toyota rolled out the bZ4X/Solterra, which is much more capable, you and I were saying something like "It's decent, but not impressive for a new EV model these days - they should have done more"... and then you look at this MX-30, and say "wait, what???"

The one thing I read about this that sounded somewhat appealing, is that they have a follow-on model coming, that will have this basic electric powertrain together with a small rotary engine "range-extender" motor - to make, basically a plug-in hybrid with really good electric range. I think that *might* fly if people understand the use-cases and rationale... we'll see.

Agreed that this was a wasted chance for the R&D staff to learn some things by challenging themselves, which they clearly didn't do. I am not writing Mazda's epitaph, but they usually put out pretty good cars and this was a rare misfire for them.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:47 AM

Quote:
The one thing I read about this that sounded somewhat appealing, is that they have a follow-on model coming, that will have this basic electric powertrain together with a small rotary engine "range-extender" motor - to make, basically a plug-in hybrid with really good electric range. I think that *might* fly if people understand the use-cases and rationale... we'll see.
I am very negative about these range-extenders which are basically a tiny engine and a 2.5 gallon tank. It recharges your battery so you get an additional 50-70 miles or so. However, they have no effect on propulsion like a normal hybrid.

To me they are more of a backup instead of a true extension of capability. In the case of BMW the range extender costs about $3500 while a tow would probably cost you ~$200.

Personally, I would find a range extender a waste of money. Just put the price of the extender in the bank and put a tow truck on your speed dial.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:52 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Mazda's tanking sales have everything to do with supply chain issues. Mazda is losing tons of sales right now because the lots are empty. This isn't why the bad EV is doing bad... just the normal CX5 sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda