Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 12:12 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
So who falls into the category of people they made fun of? People they can't do math? Can't read? Are dumb enough to not think for themselves? If that's how certain voters are self identifying and therefore finding it offensive that's kind of on them. I mean, if not, they'd think, "hey I may live in this region or this or that, but I'm smart enough to do math, etc." and therefore they'll vote for some logical reason.
First off, you don't have to insult someone directly to make them mad. Many people have friends and family that perhaps have a southern accent or didn't go to college etc.

Secondly, just because someone isn't book smart etc. is not some sort of green-light to assume they are stupid in all things and denigrate them.

Thirdly, just because Don Lemon creates a gross stereotype definitely intended to be representative of a larger swath of Trump voters doesn't mean you should make excuses for that and try to spin it as him just portraying a tiny tiny portion of the population that fits that niche.

If you're still struggling with this, change Don Lemon to some Fox personality and instead of rednecks, have them mock people from the ghetto speaking broken english and having 8th grade educations. Maybe that will show you the light in a way that you don't see currently.

Frankly, Don Lemon's portrayal was fairly racist by any current standards.

Old 01-28-2020, 12:28 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,182,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
First off, you don't have to insult someone directly to make them mad. Many people have friends and family that perhaps have a southern accent or didn't go to college etc.

Secondly, just because someone isn't book smart etc. is not some sort of green-light to assume they are stupid in all things and denigrate them.

Thirdly, just because Don Lemon creates a gross stereotype definitely intended to be representative of a larger swath of Trump voters doesn't mean you should make excuses for that and try to spin it as him just portraying a tiny tiny portion of the population that fits that niche.

If you're still struggling with this, change Don Lemon to some Fox personality and instead of rednecks, have them mock people from the ghetto speaking broken english and having 8th grade educations. Maybe that will show you the light in a way that you don't see currently.

Frankly, Don Lemon's portrayal was fairly racist by any current standards.
First off, you're proving my point. Nobody said anything about going to college. He literally said can't do math and can't read. Again, if people are self identifying as such, that's on them. People can have southern accents and realize they're intelligent. I've met plenty.

Secondly, nobody said anything about book smart vs. some other form of intelligence.

Thirdly, did you even watch the clip? Don Lemon just laughed at Republican operative Rick Wilson's remarks. Rick Wilson made a gross stereotype. Rick Wilson is a Republican. I'm not making excuses for anyone. I'm literally pointing out how people that support Trump constantly say and do things that make absolutely zero sense, and your entire post proves my point.

I'm not struggling with anything. There's definitely been people on Fox News make fun of people based on their race before. That's like, half their programming.

Frankly, again, Don Lemon made zero portrayals.

Old 01-28-2020, 12:46 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Great campaign tactic. Keep it going
I'm not running for office.

Old 01-28-2020, 12:54 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
First off, you're proving my point. Nobody said anything about going to college. He literally said can't do math and can't read. Again, if people are self identifying as such, that's on them. People can have southern accents and realize they're intelligent. I've met plenty.

Secondly, nobody said anything about book smart vs. some other form of intelligence.

Thirdly, did you even watch the clip? Don Lemon just laughed at Republican operative Rick Wilson's remarks. Rick Wilson made a gross stereotype. Rick Wilson is a Republican. I'm not making excuses for anyone. I'm literally pointing out how people that support Trump constantly say and do things that make absolutely zero sense, and your entire post proves my point.

I'm not struggling with anything. There's definitely been people on Fox News make fun of people based on their race before. That's like, half their programming.

Frankly, again, Don Lemon made zero portrayals.
1) I was following up my earlier post where I referred to it as Lemon & Co. apologies for not repeating myself but he was part of the whole thing and the other people were nobodies so it's meant to reference the whole group including Lemon.

2) Lemon did not just laugh at Rick Wilsons remarks, since we're being exact. I won't try to insinuate that this makes you a confused Trump supporter though.

3) Portrayal as being uneducated goes hand in hand with not going to college. I would hope that you would be more open to a discussion instead of trying to word-smith away my general points.

4) Half of Fox's programming is making fun of people based on their race? I don't watch FOX but that sure sounds like you pulled that one out of your butt.

I guess if we pulled up some old racist cartoon with a bucktooth, squity eyed, short japanese fellow that it's ok because it's only directed at japanese with those features? That's not how stereotyping works and stereotyping is what Lemon and his guests were doing.

Old 01-28-2020, 01:03 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
Trump mocks people on a regular basis including children. He doesn't have better issues at hand than to worry about someone mocking him? The thinned skinned, snowflake president is proving Wilson correct in his assessment

Old 01-28-2020, 01:08 PM

4,904 posts, read 3,361,298 times
Coastal elites vs flyover country is a real phenomena...

Old 01-28-2020, 01:08 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,182,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1) I was following up my earlier post where I referred to it as Lemon & Co. apologies for not repeating myself but he was part of the whole thing and the other people were nobodies so it's meant to reference the whole group including Lemon.

2) Lemon did not just laugh at Rick Wilsons remarks, since we're being exact. I won't try to insinuate that this makes you a confused Trump supporter though.

3) Portrayal as being uneducated goes hand in hand with not going to college. I would hope that you would be more open to a discussion instead of trying to word-smith away my general points.

4) Half of Fox's programming is making fun of people based on their race? I don't watch FOX but that sure sounds like you pulled that one out of your butt.

I guess if we pulled up some old racist cartoon with a bucktooth, squity eyed, short japanese fellow that it's ok because it's only directed at japanese with those features? That's not how stereotyping works and stereotyping is what Lemon and his guests were doing.
1. I didn't see your earlier post.
2. For the most part, he was just laughing at the two guests. But why are you only going after Don Lemon? For the record, I couldn't care less about Don Lemon. He's one of the more annoying hosts on CNN typically.
3. I'm not trying to word-smith anything you said. I'm indicating that Rick Wilson made specific remarks.
4. I was clearly embellishing.

No clue what your point is with the old racist cartoons.

Old 01-28-2020, 01:13 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
In a nutshell this is it.

So Pomepo, a Republican suggests a journalist who is firm in trying to get him to answer a specific question, mocks this female journalist by suggesting she doesn't know where Ukraine is and says Americans don't know about Ukraine.

And you all are fussed about Don Lemon laughing at a pundit on an entertainment show.

Folks -- Pompeo suggested Americans don't care/don't know about Ukraine....no joke......ugh

It is silly -- and Lemon is way too much -- but so is Carlson, Judge P, and every other Fox 'News' talk show host and their entertainment shows.
What difference does it make if the reporter is female? Are particularly stupid reporters not to be called out if they have a vagina?

Pretty sad that anyone with in journalism could mock anyone as "uneducated". It's not as if journalism is a difficult major.

Old 01-28-2020, 01:20 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
There's definitely been people on Fox News make fun of people based on their race before. That's like, half their programming.
is it?

then by all means provide us with some footage of three examples from, say, the past week. should be cinch if it constitutes half their programming.

Old 01-28-2020, 01:23 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
I'm not watching it but my guess is they are only mocking ignorant Trump supporters.

Do I have that part right? I read some of the words...and they are funny and true.

You could be a U and a Crane next to it and they couldn't find it - of course, according to Trump's Knight (Pompeo) they don't care anyway.

Maybe Pompeo was the leading mocker here? That's a real insult to the American voter to suggest that they don't care about Putin marching in and a hot war and downed civilian airliners and Trump holding them hostage (against the law) and all things Ukraine.

As usual the Trump crowd has a hard time with the actual issues...preferring to move into "we are melting snowflakes" mode instead of stating that they care - or don't - about Putin and his desires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media