Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 01:46 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,605,677 times

Advertisements

I use to watch MSNBC more than I do now, but at one time they had a few reasonable news reporters.
They also had some moderate (and even a couple of conservative) political pundits sprinkled in, so as to at least appear not totally biased toward the liberal perspective.
However in more recent years their political pundits are mostly hardcore leftists, and even those who purport to be reporters/journalists seem very left leaning. This rather than be as neutral as a professional reporter/journalist should be.
Not to mention so called "reporters" giving personal psychoanalysis of the mental state of the president.

What caused me to ask this question was how the MSNBC chyron (after Trump's acquittal in the Senate) stated;

"Guilty, but acquitted"

Needless to say that is an inaccurate headline, but the powers that be at MSNBC seem more interested in being leftist/liberal activists, rather than getting the story correct.

I know some think Fox is biased to the right, but I cannot imagine them having the same chyron saying the same against Bill Clinton.

Now CNN ran a chyron saying "Trump vindictive with his speech", and while that is a subjective comment, at least it is not a flat out false statement. Biased perspective open to interpretation?
Yes
However at least it was not fake news like what MSNBC ran with.

So when you have so called news stations injecting fake news into headlines, do they really have any credibility?

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2020, 02:47 PM

862 posts, read 519,560 times
All three main cable news channels are equally absurd and should be seen solely as entertainment and not really news per say.

Last edited by RubyTwo; 02-09-2020 at 02:56 PM..

Old 02-09-2020, 02:59 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
That is simply an opinion. There is no finding of guilt or innocence The fact is he was impeached and acquitted. Any view of guilt or innocence is simply opinion.

Old 02-09-2020, 03:28 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,138,480 times
"Guilty, but acquitted"

We talking about OJ now?

Credibility and MSNBC are a contradiction in terms.

Old 02-09-2020, 04:13 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
You didn't say why it's an erroneous headline. Technically, he was found guilty in one chamber and then found not guilty in the second. It probably could've been better phrased as charged, but acquitted since the House acts like a grand jury and the Senate holds a trial based on the charges handed down by the House.

Old 02-09-2020, 04:17 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
You didn't say why it's an erroneous headline. Technically, he was found guilty in one chamber and then found not guilty in the second. It probably could've been better phrased as charged, but acquitted since the House acts like a grand jury and the Senate holds a trial based on the charges handed down by the House.
And the MSNBC view is that the acquittal was a political decisions not a finding on the evidence. I personally think that is likely true. The blocking of further witnesses would testify to the fact the Senate Republicans were not willing to listen to the full story but wanted the thing ended regardless of quilt or innocence.

Old 02-09-2020, 04:32 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,419,042 times
Its very easy to see if a so called news program has a bias agenda against Trump. If not in the actual report it will be in the words they use. Also you will see that the negative post about Trump will always out number the more positive ones if they show them at all... We see this all the time.

Old 02-09-2020, 04:36 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
I think the "Guilty, but acquitted" subtitle was referring to how a handful of Republicans stated in public (and many more in private) that they thought T did wrong but voted to acquit anyway.

MSNBC has quite a few ex-Republicans as hosts and guests. Not a lot, but some.

I like MSNBC, but I switch off to CNN based on who the host is at the time. I like certain hosts on each network. And yes, I can tell the difference between when they are reporting an event and when they switch over to discussing their opinions of that event.

I won't say what I think of Fox.

Old 02-09-2020, 04:38 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Its very easy to see if a so called news program has a bias agenda against Trump. If not in the actual report it will be in the words they use. Also you will see that the negative post about Trump will always out number the more positive ones if they show them at all... We see this all the time.
And the opposite is also true, on the other network.

Old 02-09-2020, 04:41 PM

962 posts, read 612,716 times
I remember when we had REAL journalists, and newsmen. They would pride themselves on being unbiased and would report the facts.

Today, journalism does not exist. It's all just media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media