Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 07:10 PM

838 posts, read 565,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Another one who hasn't read the OP's article.

Translation of the above: I am going to spout off NPC talking points and choose to remain ignorant.
OP's post is about needing alternative media due to 'exaggeration' 'bias' etc.
My post is stating we don't need additional media, For every source that exaggerates or uses click-bait to get a point across we have 5 others that report FACTUAL news; So exactly how is my post an "NPC talking point"? Don't blame me for your lack of comprehension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 07:58 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
https://taibbi.substack.com/p/we-nee...w-media-system

Matt Taibbi is right.

We need a new media that doesn't frame stories through a lens of making its audience affirmed.

Media sources are unofficially aligned with parties. The NY Times and Fox News slant and cherry pick narratives just the same. Both are dishonest, exaggerate, and tell selective truths.

Politicians do not need to fear media reporting like they use to, because they know their media will largely protect them and their voter base will largely ignore the opposition media, because it gives them a message that they don't want to hear.

I'd add that the media uses obvious double standards. The media sensationalizes. Often these sensational double standards creates animosity between groups of Americans.
It's far from new, but the nearest thing you got to what you want is NPR. National Public Radio.

Old 01-12-2021, 08:21 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkness View Post
OP's post is about needing alternative media due to 'exaggeration' 'bias' etc.
My post is stating we don't need additional media, For every source that exaggerates or uses click-bait to get a point across we have 5 others that report FACTUAL news; So exactly how is my post an "NPC talking point"? Don't blame me for your lack of comprehension.
YOU'RE the one who doesn't comprehend. "Factual" isn't the only issue. The issue is which facts news companies report, and what spin they put on those facts. Was there a lack of diversity in the tv show "Girls," which was the subject of a particularly ridiculous NPR story that I heard years ago? I guess so. Is that something that I need to know about/care about? I don't think so. Was there a "Black Wall Street" massacre in Tulsa, Oklahoma a hundred years ago? Yes. Does that mean it would have been an atrocity for Donald Trump to make a speech there last summer, as ABC's evening news cast tried to tell me? I don't think so. These things are indicative of a left-wing (I would argue far-left-wing) mindset, whether they're based on fact or not.

Old 01-12-2021, 08:24 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
It's far from new, but the nearest thing you got to what you want is NPR. National Public Radio.
Please, there's an obsession with race at NPR that would make Alfred Rosenberg blush. They're firmly in the left-wing camp.

Old 01-12-2021, 08:49 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Please, there's an obsession with race at NPR that would make Alfred Rosenberg blush. They're firmly in the left-wing camp.
The question is not left or right. It’s are they influenced by advertising revenue.

Fox and OAN are biased right, because they cater to their conservative audience.

CNN and MSNBC are biased left because they cater to their liberal audience.

In theory, NPR is less influenced by money, thus more neutral. If you don’t like NPR’s coverage, are you just “shooting the messenger “?

Old 01-12-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
YOU'RE the one who doesn't comprehend. "Factual" isn't the only issue. The issue is which facts news companies report, and what spin they put on those facts. Was there a lack of diversity in the tv show "Girls," which was the subject of a particularly ridiculous NPR story that I heard years ago? I guess so. Is that something that I need to know about/care about? I don't think so. Was there a "Black Wall Street" massacre in Tulsa, Oklahoma a hundred years ago? Yes. Does that mean it would have been an atrocity for Donald Trump to make a speech there last summer, as ABC's evening news cast tried to tell me? I don't think so. These things are indicative of a left-wing (I would argue far-left-wing) mindset, whether they're based on fact or not.
At this point its splitting hairs, Its saying "Be factual...but not too factual where it would thread on my partisan views" If the fact is relevant to the story at hand why not include it? Also the Black Wall Street mention in many of the articles served to educate the reader on Tulsa's history and give insight as to why there were protests over Trumps speech given that it is still a delicate subject to many ie; https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...eteenth-2020-6

Seems like right-wingers will never be satisfied with any media outlet that doesn't regurgitate conspiracies, If pointing out a part of history is "far left" then what do you call Trump supporters doing the equivalent of covering their ears and yelling "lalala fake news lalalal" to every piece of evidence presented in support of Biden winning the presidency?

When Trump won sure there were many Dems calling Russia interference which later on was confirmed (https://www.intelligence.senate.gov/...rt_Volume1.pdf & https://www.dni.gov/files/documents/ICA_2017_01.pdf) but you didn't see Dems storming the White-House or calling the media 'fake news' and/or refusing to accept him as president wtf? What his supporters are doing today is infantile behavior at best.

Last edited by Drkness; 01-12-2021 at 09:13 PM..

Old 01-12-2021, 09:57 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
At this point its splitting hairs, Its saying "Be factual...but not too factual where it would thread on my partisan views" If the fact is relevant to the story at hand why not include it? Also the Black Wall Street mention in many of the articles served to educate the reader on Tulsa's history and give insight as to why there were protests over Trumps speech given that it is still a delicate subject to many ie; https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...eteenth-2020-6

Seems like right-wingers will never be satisfied with any media outlet that doesn't regurgitate conspiracies, If pointing out a part of history is "far left" then what do you call Trump supporters doing the equivalent of covering their ears and yelling "lalala fake news lalalal" to every piece of evidence presented in support of Biden winning the presidency?

When Trump won sure there were many Dems calling Russia interference which later on was confirmed (https://www.intelligence.senate.gov/...rt_Volume1.pdf & https://www.dni.gov/files/documents/ICA_2017_01.pdf) but you didn't see Dems storming the White-House or calling the media 'fake news' and/or refusing to accept him as president wtf? What his supporters are doing today is infantile behavior at best.
Why don't you try reading the link? The author is a progressive.

Old 01-13-2021, 01:55 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,248,946 times
Quote:

No, they stormed our cities instead. Burning down businesses and homes of hard working Americans. Pulling innocent citizens out of their cars and beating them while Democratic leaders either looked away or outright praised them. All the while chanting 'Not My President' since the very day he won the 2016 election. I would however not label their behavior 'infantile', I would label it vicious and criminal.

Old 01-14-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Why don't you try reading the link? The author is a progressive.
I did read the article, So because he's a progressive i have to agree? Huh?
I disagree with people who share the same political views with me, All the time.

Old 01-14-2021, 08:25 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
https://taibbi.substack.com/p/we-nee...w-media-system

Matt Taibbi is right.

We need a new media that doesn't frame stories through a lens of making its audience affirmed.

Media sources are unofficially aligned with parties. The NY Times and Fox News slant and cherry pick narratives just the same. Both are dishonest, exaggerate, and tell selective truths.

Politicians do not need to fear media reporting like they use to, because they know their media will largely protect them and their voter base will largely ignore the opposition media, because it gives them a message that they don't want to hear.

I'd add that the media uses obvious double standards. The media sensationalizes. Often these sensational double standards creates animosity between groups of Americans.
The media has done this for years. The problem was most people were not "woke" to the media bias. The bias either wasn't there or wasn't blatantly seen. This changed when Fox became more and more right-biased in the 2000s. Remember, CNN wasn't that left until the Obama days. I mean I was somewhat right back then and I still thought CNN reporting was somewhat fair. Especially with the 2013 re-launch of Crossfire. Man I miss that, but sadly we are far too divided to do a show like that now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media