Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 12:44 PM

37,174 posts, read 19,200,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
I thought the NSA monitored everything! forget about the fbi.
At last count I think there were 17 or 18 agencies directly involved in National Security. Any of those could be monitoring at any time for different reasons.

Old 09-11-2022, 03:48 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times
I don't mind the FBI monitoring social media for threats if it saves lives.

Old 09-13-2022, 10:45 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Nah.
I'm sure most folks are not fearful of speaking out on their opinions.
Some are, of course, but they aren't the most of us at all.

The FBI already knows how much it's liked or disliked at any given moment.

Those public emotions don't change their jobs at all, so they don't care one way or the other about what folks think of them as an agency. It's just something that comes with the job.
Anyone who thinks Americans are afraid of the FBI should take a look at the FBI's facebook page lol.

Last time I looked at it, it was full of straight up crazy folks giving them tips about space aliens and other bizarre stuff.

Lately it resembles an unmoderated CD forum with folks praising and cursing them regarding Jan 6 arrests/convictions and the MAL raid.

Old 09-13-2022, 01:32 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
When has the FBI never exhibited any political bias?

I'm not worried. You shouldn't be, either. Most of those guys are conservatives. Trump's just worried they may have found something, so he's telling you to worry.

Trump doesnt want anybody to read those documents. I wonder why. Its good to see this judge wont stand for Trumps usual delay tactics. Its about time this happened.

Old 09-14-2022, 05:49 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
This is a very good story. Everybody knows that law enforcement scours social media AFTER a crime to look for clues, motivations, suspects, etc etc. But, as the story says, combing through it BEFORE a crime is still an iffy area. (I had never heard of SOMEX). And of course, the political tilt of who and what they search can go either way, though historically it's been snooping against left-leaning types. I get the feeling that this surveillance is now starting to upset the right-leaning types, especially as much of the extreme rhetoric is now coming from that direction.

I would have guessed that FBI would need a warrant, like with a phone tap. But it doesn't surprise me that they snoop without one. Social media sites, after all, are public-facing. It's like taking photographs at a protest. If you're doing something in a public place, you can't expect privacy. My relatives in the military have always told me that the government can find out anything about anyone if they want to badly enough.
I'm not surprised by this at all since as you say, everything you post on a site like this one is public information. Same with Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, YouTube, and the list goes on.

There is a reason why these sites are "free". In reality we pay the ultimate price for using their services. We allow anyone and everyone, from Google to the FBI/NSA to build a complete portfolio of our likes, dislikes, psychological tendencies, political affiliations, and so on. It is probable that they give every one of us a "score" in terms of how much risk we present, and whether we warrant further surveillance.

It seems daunting but maintaining a dossier of every person in the US is child's play for the massive computing capability at the Utah Data Center (NSA) and the other super-computing facilities. They deny that the Center is used to spy on US citizens, but we all remember what Snowden revealed about the the PRISM program.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Data_Center

To give you some idea of the UDC data storage capability, it is estimated that they have many exabytes of storage. Just one exabyte is equivalent to 1 billion gigabytes.

Old 09-17-2022, 02:04 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
The FBI NSA CIA DIA DEA alphabet soup ad nauseum is monitoring social media?!knock me over with a feather!! Say it isn't so!! Federal state and even local LE and intelligence agencies have always had communications of any kind down to messenger pigeons tapped. I've heard FaceBook described as "FedBook" regularly in certain circles. And political agendas far outweigh stopping crimes as a motivating factor for said monitoring. Though stopping crimes and/or "terrorist" threats are the cloak under which this is disguised. If the scab gets peeled off to reveal the goop underneath you would find that forums frequented by law abiding Americans who indulge an enthusiasm for activities such as firearms and shooting are bird dogged more than even overt radical Islamist sites.

Oh, but there's that insidious "radical right wing terrorist threat" (defined as anything further right of Pelosi and Schumer) that must be looked for. AR 15.com is riddled with bots and poser trolls from the alphabet soup but BLM and ANTIFA sites along with other left wing "racial justice and social equity" groups not so much. The fed poser trolls are easy to spot and thick as flies on $h!t on the firearms and firearms rights sites like Ar 15.com or 1911forum.com usually under ...colorful...screen names like ...oh...killemall aryanmessiah or other silly a$$ handles looking to bait people into talking race war discussions or other such bilge.

Generally like here on CD the mods will catch and shut the threads and the users who start them pretty fast but sometimes they slither through. Sometimes they try and get sneaky and not headline a thread topic to overtly aand then try and illicit the desired responses in discussion after a thread gets rolling. Time honored tactic.

Old 09-17-2022, 02:38 PM

37,174 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
The FBI NSA CIA DIA DEA alphabet soup ad nauseum is monitoring social media?!knock me over with a feather!! Say it isn't so!! Federal state and even local LE and intelligence agencies have always had communications of any kind down to messenger pigeons tapped. I've heard FaceBook described as "FedBook" regularly in certain circles. And political agendas far outweigh stopping crimes as a motivating factor for said monitoring. Though stopping crimes and/or "terrorist" threats are the cloak under which this is disguised. If the scab gets peeled off to reveal the goop underneath you would find that forums frequented by law abiding Americans who indulge an enthusiasm for activities such as firearms and shooting are bird dogged more than even overt radical Islamist sites.

Oh, but there's that insidious "radical right wing terrorist threat" (defined as anything further right of Pelosi and Schumer) that must be looked for. AR 15.com is riddled with bots and poser trolls from the alphabet soup but BLM and ANTIFA sites along with other left wing "racial justice and social equity" groups not so much. The fed poser trolls are easy to spot and thick as flies on $h!t on the firearms and firearms rights sites like Ar 15.com or 1911forum.com usually under ...colorful...screen names like ...oh...killemall aryanmessiah or other silly a$$ handles looking to bait people into talking race war discussions or other such bilge.

Generally like here on CD the mods will catch and shut the threads and the users who start them pretty fast but sometimes they slither through. Sometimes they try and get sneaky and not headline a thread topic to overtly aand then try and illicit the desired responses in discussion after a thread gets rolling. Time honored tactic.
Have no doubts - This board is monitored as well.

Old 09-21-2022, 04:47 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,666,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Trump doesnt want anybody to read those documents.

He tell you this personally?

Old 09-22-2022, 06:11 AM

4,904 posts, read 2,057,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Have no doubts - This board is monitored as well.
^^^^^ What he said!!

I have to spread my “reps” around before I can rep you again!!

Yeah, on forums like AR15.com, without question the feds are all over it. And it’s easy to see who the feds are since they are the ones that will try to bait you in with some crazy Far-Right, anti-government crap and even a few times with some beyond racist stuff.

The good thing about this is that all the other members will call them out and like magic, they disappear. Sadly, they re-emerge under some new name, with a membership date that’s only a few days old. You can tell who these people are by their writing style. I love it when they over abuse “y’all” thinking that everybody is a Hillbilly or a country pumpkin!!

Are their crazy out there? Yes, but these individuals do come from both the Far-Right AND the Far-Left. I view myself as a Center-Right person, and I even believe that the Center-Left are just like the Center-Right and pay no attention to these nut jobs… If they’re from the Far Left/Right. Most Americans fall within the Center and that’s where our strength lays, as a country.

Honestly, I don’t mind if the feds monitor the various sites since they monitor basically every other form of communications. BUT, I do have a problem if they’re using your humorous AND non threatening political discord, especially when it’s clearly directed against one side that has been identified by the Biden Administration as a threat to our democracy… THAT IS A FREAKING HUGE PROBLEM!!

I’m pretty sure that the feds are monitoring websites dominated by ANTIFA and BLM, but I sure that the FBI isn’t knocking on their door. BUT!! If you say anything in support of the January 6, 2020 riots, you will two or three FBI agents knocking on your door and just “want to have a little talk” with you.

In today’s environment, you have to be all kinds of stupid to talk to the FBI without having an attorney present in the room with you. I’d even go as far as even demanding that the conversation video recorded and they refuse to video, with an audio recording, the meeting, I wouldn’t say anything since they will “General Flynn” you in the end.

I use to think highly of the FBI, but lately they have destroyed the trust that I had given them in the past. Now, I automatically believe if you’re a conservative, it’s open season on you!!

I’m not anti government since I still think our system is the best one out there. Even when a potato won the election for POTUS back in 2020. I am beyond far disappointed in our leader since he’s clearly suffering from some form of brain damage or simply getting too dang old to handle the job of POTUS. But sadly, even “I” will admit that he is the Constitutionally elected POTUS… Regardless of what many may think.

All I know is the feds will continue to monitor most every sites for years to come.

Old 09-22-2022, 08:23 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
^^^^^ What he said!!

I have to spread my “reps” around before I can rep you again!!

Yeah, on forums like AR15.com, without question the feds are all over it. And it’s easy to see who the feds are since they are the ones that will try to bait you in with some crazy Far-Right, anti-government crap and even a few times with some beyond racist stuff.

The good thing about this is that all the other members will call them out and like magic, they disappear. Sadly, they re-emerge under some new name, with a membership date that’s only a few days old. You can tell who these people are by their writing style. I love it when they over abuse “y’all” thinking that everybody is a Hillbilly or a country pumpkin!!

Are their crazy out there? Yes, but these individuals do come from both the Far-Right AND the Far-Left. I view myself as a Center-Right person, and I even believe that the Center-Left are just like the Center-Right and pay no attention to these nut jobs… If they’re from the Far Left/Right. Most Americans fall within the Center and that’s where our strength lays, as a country.

Honestly, I don’t mind if the feds monitor the various sites since they monitor basically every other form of communications. BUT, I do have a problem if they’re using your humorous AND non threatening political discord, especially when it’s clearly directed against one side that has been identified by the Biden Administration as a threat to our democracy… THAT IS A FREAKING HUGE PROBLEM!!

I’m pretty sure that the feds are monitoring websites dominated by ANTIFA and BLM, but I sure that the FBI isn’t knocking on their door. BUT!! If you say anything in support of the January 6, 2020 riots, you will two or three FBI agents knocking on your door and just “want to have a little talk” with you.

In today’s environment, you have to be all kinds of stupid to talk to the FBI without having an attorney present in the room with you. I’d even go as far as even demanding that the conversation video recorded and they refuse to video, with an audio recording, the meeting, I wouldn’t say anything since they will “General Flynn” you in the end.

I use to think highly of the FBI, but lately they have destroyed the trust that I had given them in the past. Now, I automatically believe if you’re a conservative, it’s open season on you!!

I’m not anti government since I still think our system is the best one out there. Even when a potato won the election for POTUS back in 2020. I am beyond far disappointed in our leader since he’s clearly suffering from some form of brain damage or simply getting too dang old to handle the job of POTUS. But sadly, even “I” will admit that he is the Constitutionally elected POTUS… Regardless of what many may think.

All I know is the feds will continue to monitor most every sites for years to come.
M
Let them monitor away. They shouldn`t monitor the Proud Boys? For the record, my father and every other WW2 vet was ANTIFA. They fought against Fascism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media