Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 09:12 AM

19,193 posts, read 16,668,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
FROZEN PIPES!

You know, if you can't afford to heat your home to the temperatures you are accostumed to, you can wear more clothes, put on a wool ski mask and put more blankets on the bed but no one in the news media seems to be talking about frozen pipes and I want to know how come? It's a real problem. The same people who can't afford high cost (thanks Biden) home heating oil aren't going to be able to afford plumbers and pipe replacement for their homes and you can't put sweaters on your pipes.

Just heard diesel will be gone soon. The Economic Times says there are only 25 days left in the US diesel stockpile. You know if trucks can't get diesel there will be shortages of everything in the stores (like food) because trucks won't be able to get products to market. I assume, but am not sure, that trucks that bring home heating oil to homes run on diesel. If so, even if you can afford high prices, you won't be able to heat your home...or eat.

And environmentalists, I see in Europe people are chopping down trees to heat their homes because they can't get fuel. There goes the wildlife habitat! It's bad enough you've turned your backs on birds chopped up by wind turbines and birds fried by solar farms but now it seems like you've turned your backs on species extinction. You're hypocrites.

And the national news media just stays silent.
I don't necessarily agree the media's been quiet about the situation. Earlier this month, it was reported that OPEC will cut oil output by 2 million barrels a day in November. It's sitting between $85 and $90/barrel now. Down from $120 during summer. That move it solely to drive the price back up because profits are more important than peoples' comfort.

As to the frozen pipe situation, if you can't afford to pay more for actual foam insulation from the hardware store, use pool noodles. They aren't as dense as real insulating foam tubes but they work just fine and are a lot less expensive to buy. In more frigid areas, you might want to tape pieces of cardboard around the pipes (over the foam tubes), just to give them an added layer of protection.

I don't rely on the government or environmentalists to tell me how to protect my home from the elements. I use common sense and "old school" techniques that have been around for ages. I also don't rely on the government to make my life easier by easing off the ban on oil production. Those people have no idea what it's like for us who don't have deep pockets.

Do what you can do, though. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2022, 09:41 AM

1,600 posts, read 863,822 times
Quote:
I lived half of my life on Long Island. It's not exactly Maine, Minnesota or Alaska, for example.

From The Washington Post:

"Diesel supplies have also tightened due to a steady decline in East Coast refining capacity in recent years, which has made the region more reliant on overseas imports, some of which come from across the Atlantic -- Europe and Russia. Shipments from both sources have dried up/decreased." 2 days ago

"ALEXANDRIA, Va.—The U.S. has a 25-day supply of diesel, as the nation's stockpiles of diesel and other distillate fuel oils are at 106 million barrels, the lowest for this time of year since 1982, reports the Economic Times." 8 hours ago

https://www.convenience.org › Oct
U.S. Diesel Stockpiles Are Shrinking Fast | NACS

There are about 100,000,000 more people in the United States today than in 1982. Let that sink in for a minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Trains run on diesel too.

Pretty much everything that brings goods to market runs on diesel. If there's no diesel to be had, we're beyond f$%#ed. Class 8 trucks, trains, standby generation at hospitals and power plants, including nuclear. None of that is going to work without diesel even if you're a committed leftist prancing about in your Tesla.

Quote:
If this diesel shortage comes to pass the city folks will get a wake up call real fast.

Ironically, home heating oil and diesel are very similar, and the heaviest use of home heating oil is in the Northeast and Pacific Northwest, both the bluest of blue havens with the exception of New Hampshire.

Also ironically, the extreme left has now demonized natural gas, which we not only have in abundance but is the cleanest burning of the fossil fuels and should be a major part of any plan to transition to renewables but NO, gotta trash that too until society collapses.

You can't have a modern society, with this many people, without abundant and relatively inexpensive energy.

Old 11-02-2022, 10:02 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,202,947 times
"Where Is The News Media and Environmentalists on Home Heating " ??? I dunno, I don't have time to check on them while I am busy making firewood

Old 11-02-2022, 11:06 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,463,943 times
Quote:
FROZEN PIPES!

You know, if you can't afford to heat your home to the temperatures you are accostumed to, you can wear more clothes, put on a wool ski mask and put more blankets on the bed but no one in the news media seems to be talking about frozen pipes and I want to know how come? It's a real problem. The same people who can't afford high cost (thanks Biden) home heating oil aren't going to be able to afford plumbers and pipe replacement for their homes and you can't put sweaters on your pipes.

Just heard diesel will be gone soon. The Economic Times says there are only 25 days left in the US diesel stockpile. You know if trucks can't get diesel there will be shortages of everything in the stores (like food) because trucks won't be able to get products to market. I assume, but am not sure, that trucks that bring home heating oil to homes run on diesel. If so, even if you can afford high prices, you won't be able to heat your home...or eat.

And environmentalists, I see in Europe people are chopping down trees to heat their homes because they can't get fuel. There goes the wildlife habitat! It's bad enough you've turned your backs on birds chopped up by wind turbines and birds fried by solar farms but now it seems like you've turned your backs on species extinction. You're hypocrites.

The same people who believe that Biden sets the global price of a barrel of oil believe crazy things like we`ll be out of diesel fuel in 3 weeks. 90% of my home heat has comes from wood for over 40 years and we have bears, deer, coyotes, etc. and over 300 varieties of birds. People have been dealing with indoor plumbing as long as indoor plumbing has been here. Relax, we`ll manage.

Old 11-02-2022, 11:40 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I don't necessarily agree the media's been quiet about the situation. Earlier this month, it was reported that OPEC will cut oil output by 2 million barrels a day in November. It's sitting between $85 and $90/barrel now. Down from $120 during summer. That move it solely to drive the price back up because profits are more important than peoples' comfort.
But this is specifically about diesel shortages.

Sometimes, the TV news media (politicians, too) doesn't 't translate for its audiences how the various energy problems can impact them personally like, for example, how fuel costs or shortages can hurt them more than just at the gas pumps. Diesel shortages mean it will be harder or more expensive to get food and other products to stores. People will either not see what they are looking for or they will pay through the nose. Stores may need to lay off workers, one or more which may be a member of your family.

In the case of home heating oil, almost every news story only mentions people dying or getting sick from the cold but never mentions frozen pipes and the cost involved with remedying the situation.

Old 11-03-2022, 09:57 AM

24,450 posts, read 17,195,339 times
Well Kamala was just in Boston and pledging aide to the average homeowner in the form of rebates to upgrade their appliances and gas furnace. Ok so we are having problems paying the 60% increase in electricity as well as the nearly doubling of the price for home heating oil and gas but Biden's plan is to have us junk our now working stove in order to pay a couple of thousand that we do not have in order to get a few hundred back in a rebate?

Also Kamala was saying that we could get up to $8000 to replace our gas furnace BUT the powers that be that are our Elected Elite in Mass are trying to phase out Natural gas. Our next Governor Maura Healey proudly proclaims that as AG she helped block 2 pipelines into the state.

The OP is right to ask, where is the media and environmentalists on this? We are heading towards a wreck and no one seems to care.

My plan this year is to keep the thermostat on my oil furnace as low as possible since filling the tank is nearly $1000 and burn lots of wood in my wood stove to stay warm. There will be lots of smoke heading up that chimney and into the atmosphere, don't tell the Greenies.

Old 11-04-2022, 05:52 AM

1,600 posts, read 863,822 times
I have a natural gas furnace and in my opinion there is no superior form of heat. If you want to be toasty warm, you need FIRE. My two rental properties also have gas furnaces.

As a rule I'm a "never keep all your eggs in one basket" kind of guy, and because of that I own two oil filled electric radiators. I cannot recommend these enough, and Walmart sells basically the same model every year for less than $60. Everyone should have one or more of these as a backup or for spot heating a room.

Pros:

-No moving parts so very safe especially while sleeping.
-Lighter than you would think, and the handle stays cool so you can have it in one room and roll it to another without waiting for it to cool down.
-Takes about 20 minutes to warm up, but will easily make a room shirtsleeve warm on the medium setting (typically 900 watts)
-Sealed, and the "oil" is a clear mineral oil that aids in heat transfer and convection, and never needs changed.

Old 11-04-2022, 07:23 AM

41,934 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Quote:
If the news media has been silent, how do you know about it?

Quote:
If this diesel shortage comes to pass the city folks will get a wake up call real fast.
You think city folk are the only ones who rely on truck and train deliveries, or the only ones who heat their homes with fuel oil?

Quote:
In the case of home heating oil, almost every news story only mentions people dying or getting sick from the cold but never mentions frozen pipes and the cost involved with remedying the situation.
Which do you think is worse, dying or a frozen pipe?

Old 11-05-2022, 11:46 AM

9,821 posts, read 4,614,344 times
Those topics aren't on the DNC talking points memo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media