Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 10:14 AM

173 posts, read 323,418 times

Advertisements

This is probably more of an "Ask Vance"* inquiry, but can anyone tell me anything about the old building next door (east) of Snowden Elementry? I pass it a few times a day and so far all I've been able to catch while driving is that is says something about cotton, etched into the top of the building. Before I spotted the word cotton, I thought it might have once been part of the school. I attempted a google on the matter, but my results were not what I am looking for. Also, maybe I over looked it, but I saw nothing in Mr. Lauderdale's archives.

* if for some odd reason you are a history geek like me and don't know about Vance, go here..but have some time to waste... Ask Vance Blog | Memphis Flyer I wish this guy would give me a saturday morning job doing research for him. I'd work for a turkey supreme sandwich from huey's!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 10:23 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,479 times
I believe that would be the former home of the National Cotton Council. IIRC, that organization has moved to the burbs. I have no idea if/how the building is still being used, but the Shelby County Register shows that it's still owned by the Cotton Council.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:28 AM

455 posts, read 1,559,272 times
Strumpeace beat me to it. But, read here after skipping on down - Touring the Parkways — The Finale: North Parkway « Smart City Memphis

Old 06-24-2010, 11:41 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
BTW, I used to work with "Vance," and he is an unbelievable repository of Memphis knowledge. I've never known anyone like him. He is a walking, talking, snarky encyclopedia of all things Memphis.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:52 PM

173 posts, read 323,418 times
THANK YOU!!!! Now when I drive my wonderful man to work every morning, I'll have one more place to point to and explain to him what it is. (he's used to my history lessons while driving, and politely smiles and nodds, even if he doesn't care.)

ginsaw...thank you for the link. however, I'm not getting a damn bit of work done now.

does anyone know why they abandoned their vintage building and fled eastward? for once, I am glad of the crunch. Maybe they will scrap the idea of tearing the building down for new rubbish and look into refurbing that building. There is an old school near little five points in ATL that was refurbed into apartments, and that old school building near the outback on Union here that was done with. I'd much rather see a repurposing than destroying. However, Memphis doesn't have the best record of trying to perserve the old. :<

wmsn4life... if you happen across your former co-worker, please let him know there is a chick running around Memphis desparately wishing to be his weekend apprentice. And while I'm sure the Lauderdales are a generous family, I fully understand that apprentice positions are never compensated monetarily. Your pay is the experience and skill you pick up. I already use the old city directories at the library to look up odd things. =) I can even learn to drive the daimler benz! hahaha

Old 06-24-2010, 12:56 PM

1,292 posts, read 5,000,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsaw View Post
Strumpeace beat me to it. But, read here after skipping on down - Touring the Parkways — The Finale: North Parkway « Smart City Memphis
Thanks for that link. Even though I'm a lifelong Memphian, had grandparents living near South Parkway and North Parkway, attended Fairview Jr. High, and both a grandfather and father who works at Sears there was a lot of information there about the Parkways that was new to me!

Old 11-01-2011, 07:24 AM

628 posts, read 1,685,565 times
Cotton Council Building Slated for Apartments
Memphis Daily News

Quote:
WR Real Estate Advisors LLC plans to transform the half-century-old building near Rhodes College and the Memphis Zoo into 142 apartments. Built in 1958, the 35,793-square-foot building sits on 2.81 acres along the north side of North Parkway between Snowden School and Parkway House Condominiums.
Digest - Memphis Daily News

Image: Smart City Memphis

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; 11-01-2011 at 07:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis