U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 08:11 AM

128 posts, read 435,779 times

Advertisements

We lost power at The Med around 10:30 PM last night and went to generator power. I heard LeBonheur and Methodist were working on generator also. It came back a couple of hours later. Rumor was a transformer between The Med and LeBonheur exploded, and that large sections of Union and Poplar were affected.

I came back home this morning and found my apartment in Mud Island was not affected. I was just curious if anyone else on this forum was affected.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 08:53 AM

430 posts, read 1,423,135 times
No, but my experience has been that power outages have become common place compared to decades ago in Memphis. We had one a week or two ago at midnight that knocked everything out across the Berclair area which lasted a few hours. It was the only outage crews were working in the city so they got it fixed without becoming a prolonged event. Other times we had harder to fix outages. This is an area with a lot of mature trees and you get huge falling limbs that knock down lines and you also get squirrels that eat their way into lines. Occasional lightning damage also knocks our transformers out. I have heard several explode over the years.

We had an outage last Summer that hit many areas also and our power was out several days. We used a friend's gas generator who was not affected. We ran the refrigerator, TV, lights, microwave, toaster oven, radio and fans from it (not all at the same time).

The two really bad ones were "Hurricane Elvis" (a massive outage due to a freak straight line wind storm) and the Great Ice Storm ('90s maybe). Power on those was out for about a week each. Trees were down everywhere and lines were strewn all over the place.

My advice - either buy a generator or make friends with someone who has one and will let you borrow it - if they're not using it. And find someone in a different area who's willing to let you use their excess freezer space (you can agree to return the favor). Also, get a good supply of those round shaped lights with the many bright LEDs (I don't know the proper name). They are battery operated and you hang them from different places and they have two intensity levels. Leave them on low intensity and they seem to last all night OK.

This is all just part of life in Memphis (and elsewhere).

Old 06-25-2010, 10:24 AM

3,371 posts, read 12,718,886 times
Commercial Appeal on Union was down for about 5 hours apparently, thus paper delivery will be very late today.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:30 AM

2,272 posts, read 4,900,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Commercial Appeal on Union was down for about 5 hours apparently, thus paper delivery will be very late today.
Its 11:30 and I still haven't received mine. I was thinking they might have finally went bankrupt

Old 06-25-2010, 10:31 AM

Just more fwiw general advice - if no generator is going to be available, at least buy in advance a large portable ice chest big enough to hold the non-frozen contents of your refrigerator. If the outage looks to be a long one, immediately buy several bags of ice. They will be gone fast if there's a run on them.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:17 PM

It went out again!! How do you like that for timing?? The storm that went through this afternoon knocked everything out. But we got real lucky. Only out for an hour this time and only 62 homes affected.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:50 PM

3,371 posts, read 12,718,886 times
I saw on the news earlier that some sort of animal ate thru power lines and knocked out power to the CA and LeBonheur. (last night)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>