Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 01:13 PM

12 posts, read 23,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Check out the ads in Cruzin' South Magazine Home to find all the car shops in the area.

Living in north MS, I have to cast my vote for here. There are a lot of race fans here as well. In fact, there are two racers in my neighborhood. I always see the rear end of one guy's Mustang with the huge tires and the parachute. Another guy has an enclosed car carrier but I haven't see his car outside. His garage is behind a fence.
Thanks for the link, Robert. Would you happen to know where they run their cars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 01:22 PM

455 posts, read 1,547,411 times
Finding someone reliable and inexpensive who can do those from-scratch one-of parts re-productions is certainly key to keeping an old classic vehicle on the road or at least in operating condition.

That gets complicated depending on the car, how rare and its age. What I ran into with mine is it's a "tweener". It's too young and too old at the same time. For newer ones there are parts. And for real old ones there's a collector market so parts have been re-produced. Mine was kinda in the middle and so far un-discovered as a collectible and hence some parts are just plain non-existent anywhere. Even in salvage yards...and even if you found one there, the part would be just as old as mine anyway.

However, this is not Miami or LA. Memphis probably doesn't have enough of those type vehicles to support a frame-off show-car restoration business. I guess with me I just wish we had more Barrett-Jackson type models in evidence here. You see one once in a while..

Btw, there are some car shows here and abouts occasionally. You could ask around and find out more.

Btw #2, on the security of the area and leaving cars outside, I can see where that could be a problem no matter where.

Last edited by Ginsaw; 06-30-2010 at 01:30 PM..

Old 06-30-2010, 01:37 PM

12 posts, read 23,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsaw View Post
That gets complicated depending on the car, how rare and its age. What I ran into with mine is it's a "tweener". It's too young and too old at the same time. For newer ones there are parts. And for real old ones there's a collector market so parts have been re-produced. Mine was kinda in the middle and so far un-discovered as a collectible and hence some parts are just plain non-existent anywhere. Even in salvage yards...and even if you found one there, the part would be just as old as mine anyway.
Ah yes, the tweener cars. Those cars that are, to most people, just old cars. That lack of repair options leads to many being scrapped, which, ironically, helps them become collectible.

Quote:
However, this is not Miami or LA. Memphis probably doesn't have enough of those type vehicles to support a frame-off show-car restoration business. I guess with me I just wish we had more Barrett-Jackson type models in evidence here. You see one once in a while..
There are always people who love cars no matter where you go. Perhaps you see so few cars now because there is no place for them to have them fixed. The old chicken and egg deal.

Quote:
Btw, there are some car shows here and abouts occasionally. You could ask around and find out more.
I will do that. Hopefully something will be going on if we get a chance to visit.

Btw #2, on the security of the area and leaving cars outside, I can see where that could be a problem no matter where.[/quote]It isn't usually a big deal. No bigger deal than leaving a car on a used car lot for the most part, except when it comes to race cars because they often don't have locks.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:52 PM

278 posts, read 989,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
Well, if you wait until they're 25 years old you can get an antique tag....about $35 and it's good forever!
Great idea if you only plan on driving them on Saturday or Sunday! Illegal the rest of the week unless you are going to/from a car event, parade, etc.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:37 AM

6 posts, read 14,626 times
My aunt and uncle live in Munford. It's a nice clean town that has grown over the past few years. Like your wife, my uncle commutes to Memphis and works in the medical field. My mom and a friend of mine both teach in Tipton Co. schools, and they have a good reputation among the neighboring counties. My uncle belongs to some sort of racing club for 4-wheelers, and my cousin races dirt bikes. There are plenty of nice parks around if your kids are small.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:04 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,732,863 times
I wouldn't cross AR off the list entirely. West Memphis isn't so great, but Marion is actually a pretty decent middle-class suburb, similar to Lakeland or Arlington. And combine that with the 10-15 minute commute downtown, it's a combination you won't find anywhere else in the Memphis area. Of course, the dining and shopping opportunities aren't near as good as Germantown or Bartlett, but take your pick.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 942 times
Germantown looks like the best suburb to l ive in Memphis. Can anyone kind enough to tell me a little bit more about the schools in Germantown; like how good are their special education program? I have a 12 years old 7th Grader here in Ohio, who is a special need student. Looking for some detail info. Anyone?

Old 10-01-2010, 06:24 PM

278 posts, read 989,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Ahmed View Post
Germantown looks like the best suburb to l ive in Memphis. Can anyone kind enough to tell me a little bit more about the schools in Germantown; like how good are their special education program? I have a 12 years old 7th Grader here in Ohio, who is a special need student. Looking for some detail info. Anyone?
I know Germantown High has a good program going for special needs kids that cannot function by themselves (not sure what the terms are for the different levels). The staff plays with them and tries to teach them motor skills like raising a spoon to their mouths, etc. Last I heard they "graduate" at around 20 years old. I would send my kid there.

I'm not sure about programs for kids with autism or learning disabilities that can actually function and be somewhat independent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis