Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 01:03 PM

309 posts, read 897,393 times

Advertisements

Memphis has no nice public swimming pools or waterparks. The few spray parks are okay for little kids but they're pitiful for adults. We need a waterpark like Whitewater in Atlanta or so many others. There are plenty of sites in Memphis to put one. Shelby Farms comes to mind. Have you ever been to the Mandalay Bay Hotel pool in Las Vegas? Its a manmade beach. Come on Memphis. Its hot and dry.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 02:58 PM

455 posts, read 1,547,574 times
The Memphis area had a wonderful and real popular swimming beach and/or waterpark up til recent times - Maywood Beach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In today's world I suspect that insurance costs along with related major expenditures for security and police presence would be serious problems to overcome.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:17 PM

628 posts, read 1,678,172 times
Urban waterparks are usually pretty nasty. The best ones in the southeast are usually remote resort destinations like Pearl River in Mississippi & Hot Springs, Arkansas.

Here's a few minor options in the Memphis metro.

The currently under construction Kroc Center.
Artist's rendering of Kroc Center of Memphis exterior
Photo Credit : COURTESY TRO JUNG | BRANNEN
Indoor aquatic center will be part of recreational facilities at Kroc Center.
Photo Credit : COURTESY TRO JUNG | BRANNEN

Life Time Fitness
115,000-square-foot center

The G. W. Henderson, Sr. Aquatic Center is Mississippi's largest natatorium.
The 39,000 sq ft. state-of-the-art Aquatic Center features a 2000 sq. ft. children's play pool with spray features, and an 8-lane, 50 meter, Olympic competition pool, with
17 ft. diving well, 1 and 3 meter springboards and 5, 7.5, and 10 meter platforms.
The Aquatic Center contains men's, women's, and family locker rooms, all equipped with private showering and personal lockers. The Henderson Aquatic Center has grandstand seating for 350 people for aquatics events, a full-service pro shop and full-service concession facilities. Programs at the Aquatic Center include swim lessons, adult and senior water aerobics classes, SCUBA and snorkeling instruction, and canoeing classes.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:50 PM

15,937 posts, read 20,903,382 times
Adventure River and the Gulf of Mexico swimming pool at the riverwalk bit the dust ages ago too. I guess most people in Memphis would rather go somewhere else to swim, if they swim at all.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Adventure River and the Gulf of Mexico swimming pool at the riverwalk bit the dust ages ago too. I guess most people in Memphis would rather go somewhere else to swim, if they swim at all.
Bud Boogie Beach @ Mud Island was not feasible as a water park. It was more experimental than anything. Not to mention, the filtration system wasn't even designed as such. Memphians enjoy swimming like most Americans, in residential/ private pools.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:44 PM

Most people I know in Memphis don't have a pool, so they all run off to Heber Springs, Pickwick or Sardis on the weekends. Public swimming areas just don't seem to do well in Memphis, the community pools are a joke and even the pools at the university and the Y aren't great.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:16 PM

455 posts, read 1,547,574 times
Quote:
Most people I know in Memphis don't have a pool, so they all run off to Heber Springs, Pickwick or Sardis on the weekends.
- or to their neighbor's pool.

Want to be the most popular on the street? Just put in a pool..

Old 07-06-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Most people I know in Memphis don't have a pool, so they all run off to Heber Springs, Pickwick or Sardis on the weekends. Public swimming areas just don't seem to do well in Memphis, the community pools are a joke and even the pools at the university and the Y aren't great.
What data are you looking at that tells you there are low quanity & quality pools in Memphis? It's not a Forbes list is it? Granted I wouldn't go swimming at a public pool in a high crime neighborhood, but I had the pleasure of living in a city which consistently ranks among the U.S.'s best and most well kept park systems & their public pools are a bunch of wild pool pissin' kids. I have no problem with a majority of pools I've been to in the Memphis area. Just look at a few I mentioned above. And the Y, which one? Must not be the newly renovated one downtown or the Schilling Farms location or the Millington location. Heber Springs, Pickwick & Sardis? People from all around flock to those places, they are beautiful. What does that have to do with anything? Maybe you're not really a pool connoisseur like you thought you were.

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; 07-06-2010 at 08:25 PM..

Old 07-06-2010, 11:05 PM

Where did I say I was a pool connoisseur? What list? I thought I was pretty clear in saying "most people I know", personal experience, you know? I only know two or three people with their own pool in Memphis, outside of people living in apartments. The families I know would rather go to a lake than go to a pool in the city. Some of them went to Maywood before it closed.
The pools at the U of M and the Y at Walker and on Quince, out in the area I lived in, were not great. Downtown was still a dump the last time I visited. Glad they renovated it. Schilling Farms, Olive Branch, Millington, eh, always considered they were meant for the people living in those suburbs. Never really thought of them as Memphis amenities.
It still doesn't change the fact that the Memphis public does not seem to have embraced the water park they did have, the riverwalk beach was a flop, Maywood closed, the community pools are dumps, and having a couple of decent pools at the Y isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for Memphians supporting public pools.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:47 AM

60 posts, read 205,943 times
The reason Adventure River closed was because they didn't keep it up. Toward the end of its existence, it was not uncommon to find large branches, huge patches of grass and snakes and rats floating around in the water...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis