Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 11:49 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times

Advertisements

Case in point, this article in the CA today: this is NOT east Memphis, CA!!! Way to work up the readers though.

13-year-old boy shot during robbery attempt in East Memphis » The Commercial Appeal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 11:54 AM

60 posts, read 206,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Case in point, this article in the CA today: this is NOT east Memphis, CA!!! Way to work up the readers though.

13-year-old boy shot during robbery attempt in East Memphis » The Commercial Appeal
The local news outlets here always do lazy, inaccurate reporting when it comes to the area of Memphis crimes happen in. Especially the TV news stations. They always call Frayser and Raleigh "North Memphis,'' and sometimes even refer to Whitehaven as "South Memphis"...

Old 07-07-2010, 11:58 AM

845 posts, read 2,542,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post

Yep, that is clearly Parkway Village. The CA does that all the time.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:03 PM

201 posts, read 636,576 times
the 3200 block of Dothan certainly IS in East Memphis ! it's certainly not in 'north Memphis' or 'south Memphis

take a look for yourselves and Google "3201 Dothan St, Memphis"

The term "East Memphis" is not some 'limited ", "pocket" reserved for what a few people want it to 'connote'.

At least the Commercial Appeal knows directions. Accurately it IS 'east Memphis', much to chagrin of some people to proclaim something like "East Memphis"...which does not exist ....there is no such proper delineation (i.e. "East Memphis")....

That's pretty simple to understand

Old 07-07-2010, 12:17 PM

845 posts, read 2,542,623 times
Dude, how long have you lived in Memphis? If you do not know that this is Parkway Village then you do not know the area very well. From your post one would think you were an expert on all things Memphis. I think you just outed yourself as a troll. East Memphis is generally thought of as the 38117, 38119, and 38120 zips as well as some of the 38111 zip. Anything south of the I-240 loop and 385 leg is not in East Memphis. The Dothan address is geographically in the east portion of Memphis, but it is not in the neighborhood most consider East Memphis. You just lost all credibility in my book.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:32 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertate View Post
Dude, how long have you lived in Memphis? If you do not know that this is Parkway Village then you do not know the area very well. From your post one would think you were an expert on all things Memphis. I think you just outed yourself as a troll. East Memphis is generally thought of as the 38117, 38119, and 38120 zips as well as some of the 38111 zip. Anything south of the I-240 loop and 385 leg is not in East Memphis. The Dothan address is geographically in the east portion of Memphis, but it is not in the neighborhood most consider East Memphis. You just lost all credibility in my book.
One split hair does not make him a troll. Look, you are correct, OK? Dothan is the eastern boundary of Parkway Village before the beginning of Fox Meadows. He has made many good points about other things, so fap to your victory, howl at the moon and move on.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:02 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis10AC View Post
The local news outlets here always do lazy, inaccurate reporting when it comes to the area of Memphis crimes happen in. Especially the TV news stations. They always call Frayser and Raleigh "North Memphis,'' and sometimes even refer to Whitehaven as "South Memphis"...
Yeah I was about to say that. It's like they don't really know the areas of Memphis so they just say "well Frayser is in the northern part of Memphis, so it must be part of North Memphis" It doesn't work that way

Old 07-07-2010, 01:22 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
I don't think anyone is arguing directions here. I think we are all adults (well...sometimes I wonder...) and we all know our N/S/E/W directions. The point is that for those of us who have lived here a long time, the term "east memphis" or the term "north memphis" means something specific. Like the OP said, Hickory Hill is not "east memphis" as we know it and refer to it as. The question was "what do forum members consider to be east memphis" and not about if we know our directions and if we agree that one street is technically more east than west.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:08 PM

60 posts, read 206,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
The crime rate of Nashville-Davidson is way too high for that to be effective. We'd have to call ourselves "Trashville".
Dude, Memphis' crime rate is higher than Nashville-Davidson's and has been for years...

Old 07-07-2010, 04:24 PM

628 posts, read 1,685,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis10AC View Post
Dude, Memphis' crime rate is higher than Nashville-Davidson's and has been for years...
Only by a slim margin. FBI stats on a neighborhood basis have seen neighbohoods in Nashville surpass crime in Memphis' worst. Nashville crime is no secret and consolidated county stats can't hide it anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis