Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 04:32 PM

60 posts, read 206,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
Only by a slim margin. FBI stats on a neighborhood basis have seen neighbohoods in Nashville surpass crime in Memphis' worst. Nashville crime is no secret and consolidated county stats can't hide it anymore.
Yeah, well Nashville doesn't have crap like "The First 48" and the "Police Women of Memphis" to air their dirty laundry across the nation and make their city look much more dangerous than it really is. I still don't think the margin is as slim as you make it sound, but I do know Nashville isn't as far behind Memphis in crime as most people think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 04:59 PM

628 posts, read 1,685,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis10AC View Post
Yeah, well Nashville doesn't have crap like "The First 48" and the "Police Women of Memphis" to air their dirty laundry across the nation and make their city look much more dangerous than it really is. I still don't think the margin is as slim as you make it sound, but I do know Nashville isn't as far behind Memphis in crime as most people think.
Sure, those shows definitely aren't the best for PR. I would agree. Even after the Forbes list "Most violent metros" was proven to be tainted criteria as most Forbes lists are, people still need their false perceptions & sensationalism to vicariously live and belong. You could tell someone Memphis uses a much more comprehensive crime reporting system that only a few cities use and cannot be compared in linear fashion, as Forbes did. Still, some cannot let go of it as if their belief system is painfully crumbling in front of them. I've been to East St.Louis, South Chicago, Baltimore & DC and wouldn't get out of the car I was riding in, but I'll ride my bike thru Orange Mound in Memphis.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:10 PM

60 posts, read 206,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
Sure, those shows definitely aren't the best for PR. I would agree. Even after the Forbes list "Most violent metros" was proven to be tainted criteria as most Forbes lists are, people still need their false perceptions & sensationalism to vicariously live and belong. You could tell someone Memphis uses a much more comprehensive crime reporting system that only a few cities use and cannot be compared in linear fashion, as Forbes did. Still, some cannot let go of it as if their belief system is painfully crumbling in front of them. I've been to East St.Louis, South Chicago, Baltimore & DC and wouldn't get out of the car I was riding in, but I'll ride my bike thru Orange Mound in Memphis.
LOL, pretty much...

Old 07-07-2010, 05:51 PM

18 posts, read 69,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisenheist View Post
the 3200 block of Dothan certainly IS in East Memphis ! it's certainly not in 'north Memphis' or 'south Memphis

take a look for yourselves and Google "3201 Dothan St, Memphis"

The term "East Memphis" is not some 'limited ", "pocket" reserved for what a few people want it to 'connote'.

At least the Commercial Appeal knows directions. Accurately it IS 'east Memphis', much to chagrin of some people to proclaim something like "East Memphis"...which does not exist ....there is no such proper delineation (i.e. "East Memphis")....

That's pretty simple to understand
What is the dividing line then for east Memphis vs west Memphis? (little e little w) One TV station reported it as south memphis. I suppose that could be accurate as well. And what if a crime occurred in AR right over the river? I guess that would be east West Memphis? I don't find it easy to understand. Is the media just trying stir things up or are they lazy and/or misinformed? It's clearly Parkway Village, unless they moved that walkway since I crossed it on the way home from school 30 plus years ago.

I'm glad the young man survived and hope the perps are caught.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:30 PM

628 posts, read 1,685,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tForTx View Post
What is the dividing line then for east Memphis vs west Memphis? (little e little w) One TV station reported it as south memphis. I suppose that could be accurate as well. And what if a crime occurred in AR right over the river? I guess that would be east West Memphis? I don't find it easy to understand. Is the media just trying stir things up or are they lazy and/or misinformed? It's clearly Parkway Village, unless they moved that walkway since I crossed it on the way home from school 30 plus years ago.

Parkway Village is SOUTH Memphis all day long. Newspapers nationwide including the commercial appeal are desparate for readers, both print & internet traffic so they like to catch peoples attention.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:30 AM

845 posts, read 2,542,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tForTx View Post

A good point of reference for a dividing line is the I-240 southern loop and the 385 leg that runs parallel to the Nonconnah Creek. To the north a good dividing line is Sam Cooper Blvd. and Summer Ave.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:18 AM

201 posts, read 636,507 times
east Memphis, is on the 'east side' (yes, DIRECTIONS do count)

What "EAST MEMPHIS" connotes is something that was conjured in the heads of some Mmephians, especially during the late late 1970s and especially during the eighties. Again, I think the newspaper was geographically correct.

There is no official community/planning designation called "EAST MEMPHIS"

There IS an official community/planning designation named "Parkway Village"

There is an officialcommunity/planning designation named "Central Gardens" also

I also believe there used to be an official/planning designation even for "White Station" and "White Haven as well.....or Berclair......although I might be mistaken.

Again, as a professional in Memphis for many many years, and a resident, I don't believe there has ever been an official/planning designation for anything called "EAST MEMPHIS".

THAT notion seems to be borne out of the heads of biased local Developers/real estate people hawking property in a deliberate effort to 'stratify' desirability of particular parts of east memphis residential development over 'other parts' within the 'east SIDE'section of the City itself.

In other words, the term "EAST MEMPHIS" exists in the heads of certain residents mostly for socio/eco/cultural reasons alone.

What is sometimes "considered" something, is in fact mythical in the realm of official community designations and offical planning.

Over the years there still is nothing 'official' about "East Memphis".

I have never seen neighborhood / planning nomeclature using the amorphous term "East Memphis"...in fact an "East Memphis Neighborhood" has never existed

Last edited by weisenheist; 07-08-2010 at 12:27 PM..

Old 07-08-2010, 11:26 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisenheist View Post

Over the years there still is nothing 'official' about "East Memphis".
Pssst....ask someone about the NEW bridge that crosses the Mississippi.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:31 AM

201 posts, read 636,507 times
I do get it....lol

Old 07-09-2010, 07:21 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,375,487 times
Quote:
Interesting concept. So when racist whites refer to Memphis as "Memphrica," should we just call it "Nashville" instead...?
I have never heard this term before ^

Quote:
I have a crush on Officer Olsen. She is hot. The blonde haired chick has a mouth/teeth like Mr. Ed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis