Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 04:23 PM

278 posts, read 993,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisenheist View Post
...but it's odd that when the crime figures reported by accepted and reliable standards they are immediately considered 'highly inflated', 'misleading', or provided by accepted sources (e.g.FBI, et al) that 'must have' some nefarious intent concerning Memphis, TN alone...
The arguement about the FBI statistics not being completely accurate is a legitimate one. Different cities have different classifications of crimes they report. Some cities will call a home burglary a "vandalism" if nothing was taken, even though they entered the house. Add these subtle differences across the different types of crime, and you have inaccurate statistics. Submitting stats to the FBI is also optional, and not all crimes have to be reported.
I have heard of supervisors at MPD asking officers to classify burglary as a "vandalism" and "theft of property", two smaller offenses instead of the more serious one, in order to alter crime statistics. I can't guarantee that is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 05:26 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,376,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
The "Miserables" has become a local term for the people who hype fear and smut media. It was made popular by John Calipari. He was disgusted by people smearing such a great city with so much character & potential. Despite his recruting ethics, I certainly agree. Keep your cookies.
Yea, that guy is a cheat. We are better off without him

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyCop View Post
The arguement about the FBI statistics not being completely accurate is a legitimate one. Different cities have different classifications of crimes they report. Some cities will call a home burglary a "vandalism" if nothing was taken, even though they entered the house. Add these subtle differences across the different types of crime, and you have inaccurate statistics. Submitting stats to the FBI is also optional, and not all crimes have to be reported.
I have heard of supervisors at MPD asking officers to classify burglary as a "vandalism" and "theft of property", two smaller offenses instead of the more serious one, in order to alter crime statistics. I can't guarantee that is true.
You just gotta know AC Wharton has instructed Godwin to get these numbers down. Any way that in nescecary

Old 07-18-2010, 02:40 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyCop View Post
I remember an article, I'll try to find it, that indicated MPD overreports crimes. Which is a good thing, imo. Better to overreport and face the scrutiny and criticism than underreporting and sugarcoating.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:01 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,376,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
I remember an article, I'll try to find it, that indicated MPD overreports crimes. Which is a good thing, imo. Better to overreport and face the scrutiny and criticism than underreporting and sugarcoating.
Not when your trying to convince Fortune 500 companys to relocate here

Old 07-18-2010, 06:43 AM

165 posts, read 461,893 times
If Calipari loved the city so much he wouldn't have screwed us over. So did that boy Derrick Rose. But that's what most all outsider, opportunists do to Memphis. We always seem to welcome it too.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:57 AM

165 posts, read 461,893 times
As for crime being down, I know MPD reclassifies certain types of crimes now. But watching the news gives a different impression. Someone is always murdered or shot. Know what's funny? People always say the local news is negative. What if they never reported any murders? Would you feel safer even though you were uninformed? Padding numbers won't make the city any better. Our reputation is already damaged. We should use NYC as an example. But crime is big business for Memphis. Keeps people employed with government jobs. You can't give criminals serious time. Especially when most of them are repeat offenders.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:29 PM

628 posts, read 1,685,862 times
So much for Forbes, CQ and others that sell this garbage to unknowing people, especially the Miserables.

The FBI rejects the rankings, saying on its Web site: "These rough rankings provide no insight into the numerous variables that mold crime in a particular town, city, county, state or region. Consequently, they lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting communities and residents."

Old 07-19-2010, 05:45 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
So much for Forbes, CQ and others that sell this garbage to unknowing people, especially the Miserables.

The FBI rejects the rankings, saying on its Web site: "These rough rankings provide no insight into the numerous variables that mold crime in a particular town, city, county, state or region. Consequently, they lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting communities and residents."
You are such a Kool-Aid drinker. What grade do you give this city over that past 20 years with regard to crime, the MCS, the integrity and effectiveness of the elected city officials, the property values, the economic base and every other yardstick that is important to making a city a good place to live.

What grade giveth thou?

Old 07-19-2010, 07:27 PM

61 posts, read 206,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
You are such a Kool-Aid drinker. What grade do you give this city over that past 20 years with regard to crime, the MCS, the integrity and effectiveness of the elected city officials, the property values, the economic base and every other yardstick that is important to making a city a good place to live.

What grade giveth thou?
I think you're both right. The discrepency of the data between cities is widely known. However, that does not dismiss the fact that Memphis has crime and other problems. All these problems are interconnected.

There are other things that make a city a good place to live including family, social outlets, and careers. I do think that the ones "goat" named are reasonably good benchmarks overall for a city and Memphis does grade low on most of these.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:01 PM

628 posts, read 1,685,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
What grade giveth thou?
"simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions"

"simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions"

"simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis